Jira vote on 24 hour days or 35 or 3 or...

Jo Yardley

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2223 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

SL days only last a few hours, whatever windlight settings you design for your region, they still last the same amount of time.

I would love to be able to decide myself how long days last in my sim!

My sim is based on a RL city, events happen there based on dates set in history.

We were forced to stop the sun from going under long time ago.

Now I have to go inworld twice a day to set the sim to day and night!!

It would be even better if we can simply choose a country setting and see the region windlights not just change as time passes in that RL country, but also see the weather change according to the weather it is in RL :)

Anyway, dream on...

BUT about allowing sim owners to decide time of day in their sim and to set how long days last;

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SVC-3893

It isn't my Jira post and it is old... but it does describe the freedom I have in mind and I thought it might be good to share it here because it should get more votes!

Thanks everyone!

Can you imagine the fun of visiting a city far away in SL and realising that it is Daylight there while you are sitting in the dark, simply because it is daylight in that sim?

Or celebrating christmas by waiting with tension for christmas morning as it only comes around once that day and not 4 times, imagine seeing the sun come up in a sim and realising how early it is and that you should have gone to bed hours ago :)

Let a long day be a long day, let days be shorter in winter and longer in summer.

Realism sometimes strengthens imagination!

• Like 1

foxclock.jpg

Having family in different parts of the world I do need to stay aware of the time at other locations so I use foxclocks in my browser.

And while I agree a SIM owner should have more control over the day cycle, for your SIM, we are already traveling back in time so it is no longer "real' time.

For me, I prefer night time settings for many of my activities and would be more fascinated by the night life in your SIM.

I do see one great advantage to keeping your SIM in daylight 24/7.  Certain creatures would not be able to safely roam your streets.

voted

In real life, the exact times for sunrise and sunset depend on latitude and day of the year.  They'd have to have an option for the traditional 3+1 hour day and the 24 hour day where you have to specify the latitude.

I wouldn't want a realistic day cycle on the mainland because I like the way the 4 hour day works.  However, I see no reason not to make this an option for private estates.

The perfect option would be one where the owner of the land would be able to decide the length of the day, 4 hours, 24 hours, 85 hours, whatever.

Or at least choose between the 4 hour day and the 24 hour day.

And once you can set the length of a day you can manually change the settgings to decide when the sun comes up and goes down just like we can do now.

This way you can easily change the settings to match the time of year.

I think the easiest thing would be to tell the system you want a real world day/night cycle for 52° 30′ 2″ N (for Berlin) and let the system do all the work (using real world month/day) instead of having to update it manually.

For longer than Earth-day days, then manual entry of when sunrise and sunset occur would be needed.

Weather would be interesting.  LL could get current weather data from NOAA and consolidate it down to clouds, wind, and precipitation.

Clouds could be handled by custom windlight settings.  In-world wind would change from it's current weird randomness to the real-world wind.  Precipitation would be harder.  You don't want it to rain inside buildings.  You might need a new LSL function and scripted objects to emit the rain/snow.

We have rain and snow, it involves rezzing a whole bunch of lag creating prims all over the place where you want rain or snow and you have to spend hours getting it just right so it doesn't enter homes.

It is probably impossible to create some sort of prim and lagless system as part of the sim, then again LL does give us free primess clouds...

I had thought about weather in SL before.  Another option is for LL to generate the rain/snow.  Then LL would create a new prim type to cancel the precipitation.  First you'd rez a normal prim (box, sphere, whatever).  Then you'd size and position it inside buildings or anywhere else you don't want precipitation.  Last, under perhaps Features, you'd check off "Cancel Weather".  The prim would disappear (see it again with highlight transparent) and no precipitation would render inside of it.

That could actually work and would be extremely awesome.

Especially with these new bigger prims, you could make a cube around an entire street or just a flat plate above the roofs to stop the rain falling trough.

OR perhaps a script that you can put in a roof cancelling the rain when it touches it?

I'm not very technical, but adding weather would be fantastic and would hopefully allow me to stop using the very complicated scripty weather systems.

You should make a new jira for this and mention it everywhere!

I'd vote!

being able to set the cycle in # of minutes would be great for some things... (convert hours to minutes also)

Since computers tend to keep track of time/date, as a floating-point number, # of seconds since (insert reference date which I don't remember at the moment), converting it into the day/night cycle is pretty easy.

Say for example, the computer's clock is 57726100934.2167 at that moment, and say, for further example, you have your sim set up with a space station in orbit of the moon, with a big megaprim sphere set to rotate with a moonscape, which will also move around the station to simulate the station tumbling slowly in orbit. Keep the sphere in close proximity to the station, so it rezzes looking out of the viewports, and looks big, like a planet beneath/above/alongside you.

You figure out how long it takes for the moon you're in orbit of, to make a full 360-degree path around the station. This is your 'day' for the station. For example, lets just call it 47 minutes to orbit the moon.

Set your windlight day/night accordingly to simulate being in space with a full-time starfield. Then set the day-length to 47 minutes.

To figure out where you are in the 'day', you'd just divide the time by the day.

--> 57726100934.2167 / 2820 = 20470248.55823287

Chop off the whole numbers, and your remainder is where in the day you are. 0.55823287 would be just a little bit after 'noon'... noon being 0.5, and midnight being 0.0

In this way, you can use whatever day-cycle you'd like.

I have plenty of friends, who only get on for an hour or two at a regular time, and who never get to see the sim at night without it being manually switched to night. Giving the sim a 25-hour day, or a 7-hour day, would give them some variety. Some days they come on, will be daytime, some days nighttime, some days, dawn, some days dusk during their regular time.

Combine with latitude and calendar modifications, you could have an Alaskan themed area, with dusk lasting for months. Would have to figure in the sun/moon positions... or maybe support for completely different satellites... say, a planet going around a binary star, or one that has 3 moons orbitting at different heights and sizes...

A little bit of work in this area, could open up so many possibilities for us. Do all of this on the sim/estate level of course. :)

-- Smoov

edit: forgot to convert 47 minutes into 2820 seconds. Corrected the math.

• 2 months later...

And again I have to go into SL to set the day light settings to something suitable for my sim, later tonight I'll have to do it again... and all that time we just have one type of daylight in the sim.

Why?

Because I want our days to last 24 RL hours, that is all.

Sadly not possible with the current daylight settings unless you change it manually :(

Please vote for the Jira, follow it, run around streets with signs ;)

"I think the easiest thing would be to tell the system you want a real world day/night cycle for 52° 30′ 2″ N (for Berlin) and let the system do all the work (using real world month/day) instead of having to update it manually."

--------------------------------------------------------------

Before Windlight, the sun and moon would rise in the northeast and set in the northwest. It was not only realistic, but also quite beautiful. The flaw with Windlight is that the sun and moon now rise due east and set due west. It is artificial and boring. Moreover, the day settings for Windlight are utterly incomprehensible.

I agree that one should be able to plug in latitude, longitude and date. Let the system create the entire sky, day and night, including phases of the moon, planets and constellations. This would not only add a layer of realism to SL, but it could be augmented with optional graphics to teach astronomy (show big dipper, show Virgo, show Mars etc.)

No, but a 24-hour day is a great idea. I suppose I should vote on the Jira, but Linden Lab seems to have zero interest in resident feedback. After a while, one thinks of Linden Lab as a kind of mad monarch, Ludwig II of Bavaria, perhaps, or Franz Ferdinand of Austria-Hungary or some, weird, African dictator.

Deltango Vale wrote:

...but Linden Lab seems to have zero interest in resident feedback. After a while, one thinks of Linden Lab as a kind of mad monarch, Ludwig II of Bavaria, perhaps, or Franz Ferdinand of Austria-Hungary or some, weird, African dictator.

LoL Deltango...

I bet Ludwig & Franz, or Idi Amin & Ras Tafari, had their zealous acolytes ever ready to jump to the defense of the mad monarch, too... Just like this forum has its LL toadies ... :matte-motes-tongue:

Jeanne

Perhaps, but not voting on a Jira will get even less done then not voting on it ;)

In the end I think that giving some SL issue as much attention as possible is what gives you the best shot at LL hearing it, so Jira's, using this forum, a blog or elsewhere, may one day get someone to hear us.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2223 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.