Remember War, and Strive for Peace

Scylla Rhiadra

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4547 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Mayalily wrote:

Jo Yardley wrote:

Sometimes you have to watch, read or learn stuff you'd rather avoid.

Why?  I don't believe I have any power to change anything.  I wanted to protest the Iraq war, but there were no protests near me.  So, I just lived with it every day, though thought it an unjust and unscrupulous war by Bush and Cheney and their oil cartel.   Why should I watch and learn it when there is nothing I can do to change it?  I just don't like it, and especially the Hollywood war movies are so glorified that's it's just some stupid Hollywood formula movie.  As far as ancient war documentaries, I find them boring, and would rather watch the jewelry channel as I at one time designed my own jewelry and I consider jewelry a true art form, so I'd rather study jewelry including it's folklore and it's design.  I currently don't design any jewelry, but I love watching what certain designers do, as art is a huge part of who I am, and there are only so many hours in a day, so it's called learning to use your time wisely.  Also, I enjoy my own interests and hobbies with my time budget.  Time is not endless, so sometimes we have to pick and chose what we do with our time and how it benefits us personally. 

You just made my point.

I rest my case.

Jo Yardley wrote:

Mayalily wrote:

Jo Yardley wrote:

Why?  I don't believe I have any power to change anything.  I wanted to protest the Iraq war, but there were no protests near me.  So, I just lived with it every day, though thought it an unjust and unscrupulous war by Bush and Cheney and their oil cartel.   Why should I watch and learn it when there is nothing I can do to change it?  I just don't like it, and especially the Hollywood war movies are so glorified that's it's just some stupid Hollywood formula movie.  As far as ancient war documentaries, I find them boring, and would rather watch the jewelry channel as I at one time designed my own jewelry and I consider jewelry a true art form, so I'd rather study jewelry including it's folklore and it's design.  I currently don't design any jewelry, but I love watching what certain designers do, as art is a huge part of who I am, and there are only so many hours in a day, so it's called learning to use your time wisely.  Also, I enjoy my own interests and hobbies with my time budget.  Time is not endless, so sometimes we have to pick and chose what we do with our time and how it benefits us personally. 

You just made my point.

I rest my case.

I don't understand your reply unless you are trying to say that learning about war will benefit me personally.  If that is the case, how would learning more about war benefit me personally?  I read the Diary of Anne Frank, and learned a lot there, but reading that book didn't actually benefit me in any way.  Governments do what they want to do whether the people like it or not.  The President of the United States makes decisions for war, not the people. 

Jo Yardley wrote:

Mayalily wrote:

Jo Yardley wrote:

You just made my point.

I rest my case.

As the OP states: Remember War, and Strive for Peace!

How can one remember if one is ignorant?  How did this thread get derailed to accomodate one persons political beliefs and ignorance?    

Mayalily wrote:

I don't understand your reply unless you are trying to say that learning about war will benefit me personally.  If that is the case,
how would learning more about war benefit me personally
?  I read the Diary of Anne Frank, and learned a lot there, but reading that book didn't actually benefit me in any way.  Governments do what they want to do whether the people like it or not.  The President of the United States makes decisions for war, not the people. 

Other than achieving a deeper understanding of human motivations, decisions, mistakes and successes, I have no clue.

Venus Petrov wrote:

Mayalily wrote:

I don't understand your reply unless you are trying to say that learning about war will benefit me personally.  If that is the case,
?  I read the Diary of Anne Frank, and learned a lot there, but reading that book didn't actually benefit me in any way.  Governments do what they want to do whether the people like it or not.  The President of the United States makes decisions for war, not the people. 

Other than achieving a deeper understanding of human motivations, decisions, mistakes and successes, I have no clue.

We can remember war, but some of the stories are tainted and piecey at best, especially the Hollywoodized versions of some.

ETA:  However, the movie "The Reader" definately broke the molded formula for Hollywood movies, and is a great movie.  I'd definately recommend that one! 

As far as reading books about war, well the American's have their version, the Japanese their version, and so on and so on.  Too many sides to the story of war and most are far too depressing.  I know about war and what the different sides have said here and there.  Everyone has a different side to the story. 

honerken wrote:

The death of over 200,000 people who died in an atomic bomb.....just the most disgusting act I ever read in history.

Here is a little more history:

1) After the Third Punic War the Romans killed every man woman and child in Carthage.

2) Rwanda: 3000 African black men were murdered every 3 minutes for three months (do the math) 

3) The Rape of Nanking - the Japanese murder of 1 million Chinese men women and children.

4) The Holocaust: 6-8 million Jews died at the hands of the German war machine.

(and let's NEVER forget what Stalin did to his own people)

Mayalily wrote:

Venus Petrov wrote:

Mayalily wrote:

We can remember war, but some of the stories are tainted and piecey at best, especially the Hollywoodized versions of some.

ETA:  However, the movie "The Reader" definately broke the molded formula for Hollywood movies, and is a great movie.  I'd definately recommend that one! 

As far as reading books about war, well the American's have their version, the Japanese their version, and so on and so on.  Too many sides to the story of war and most are far too depressing.  I know about war and what the different sides have said here and there.  Everyone has a different side to the story. 

I should think that all versions have relevancy in understanding motivations, decisions, mistakes and successes.  Also, film versions often abbreviate the story for the sake of the screen.  Cracking open a book, reading and seeking to understand even if the perspective is not yours can be an enriching experience.

Jo Yardley wrote:

Mayalily wrote:

No, I don't like anything about war so I never read any war poetry nor was ever introduced to any in school.  I also don't like nor watch war movies.  I can't stand them as a form of entertainment.  I liked Saving Private Ryan and usually chose that one to watch on a Veteran's Day holiday; however, All Quiet on the Western Front is hailed as one of greatest anti-war war novels and movies of all time.  So, I have watched All Quiet on the Western Front, but that was a while ago, and didn't watch any war movies this Veteran's Day weekend.  I don't care for war related things and do not like war movies nor watch them.  I'm into girlie girl things, and have no interest in watching war movies.

However, this dictator from Iran does scare me a little, so I do read what is going on about that. 

The more you dislike war, the more you should learn about it.

Watching war movies isn't about being girlie or boylie (?!), it is about understanding the past, making sure it won't happen again.

War is part of my life, every day.

I educate people about the past, war is horrible but also very interesting as it brings both the worst and best in humans come to the surface.

Am a bit late in this thread, but I could not agree with you more Jo. Although war is not a part of my daily life, I have learned about it in school, heard about WWII from my grandparents and even though I am a very girlie girl: I watch movies about war, because some aspects of history have my interest and there are movies that actually taught me something (not only about WW1 &2 - but other wars that not necessary include The Netherlands,  as well).

In one of my vacations to Germany 5 years ago, I visited Buchenwald, which was an eyeopener - after having read books, seen documentaries and movies - walking on the actual grounds were horrible things happened and getting information 'on the spot' made me feel tiny and humble and extremely thankful for all those people who paid the ultimate price for the freedom I have since the day I was born. It gave me more perspective than I expected.

Lest not forget, ever!

Venus Petrov wrote:

Mayalily wrote:

Venus Petrov wrote:

Mayalily wrote:

I should think that all versions have relevancy in understanding motivations, decisions, mistakes and successes.  Also, film versions often abbreviate the story for the sake of the screen.  Cracking open a book, reading and seeking to understand even if the perspective is not yours can be an enriching experience.

The Diary of Anne Frank is amazing.  But makes me cry so terribly every time I watch it.  I read it as a youngster, but is gut wrenching.

I have not forgotten war, there is merely nothing I can do about it.  I use the Serenity prayer about such things I cannot change and try to live as happily as I can. 

Mayalily wrote:

The Diary of Anne Frank is amazing.  But makes me cry so terribly every time I watch it.  I read it as a youngster, but is gut wrenching.

I have not forgotten war, there is merely
nothing I can do about it.
  I use the Serenity prayer about such things I cannot change and try to live as happily as I can. 

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.  ~ attrib' E.Burke.

Mayalily wrote:

Venus Petrov wrote:

Mayalily wrote:

Venus Petrov wrote:

Mayalily wrote:

I have not forgotten war, there is merely nothing I can do about it.  I use the Serenity prayer about such things I cannot change and try to live as happily as I can. 

Your ignorance then is a self serving affront to your fellow human beings whom you doom to a fate you in your frailty are too cowardly to face and do something about. But by all means, do look after your happiness.

Spare us your prayers.Thanks for coming.

Now back to the hair salon with you DiPesto.

I have always felt it was my duty of gratitude and respect to do the one thing I can do to honor the memory of those who suffered so much in war:

REMEMBER

And to remember means to become as aware as one can of what that experience was, without personally undergoing it.

Thanks Jo (and others), for what you do in SL to enable those who want to to remember, to do so.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4547 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.