What I would like to see

Venus Petrov

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4547 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Since I have been assured that someone at Linden Lab reads the feedback posted here, I have some feedback that I would like to share.

First, I would like to see a few Lindens pop in now and again (by name, not that anonymous 'Linden Lab' moniker, after all, we are a community) to comment on one thing or another in the forum.  Just randomly.  It helps to cultivate from your side to this side that sense of Community and it lets us know that you are reading and understanding.

Second, I would like that all feedback, both positive and negative, but constructive, feedback be welcomed here.  No warnings, no suspensions or bans.  I provide feedback because I care. No doubt that is the motivation of many others, too.

Third, I would like to see periodic updates (every month is fine) on things that you have read here and acted upon or not and why.  Then, I really *know* that you are hearing us.

Fourth, I request that all warnings, suspensions and bans that have been meted out since the implementation of the Vampire subforum be rescinded (exception being the true spammers who are not residents).  There are some who have been disciplined for nothing more than posting three OPs into that forum.  Other 'invited' posters have three or more OPs to their name and Linden Lab has nine. 

I hope you are listening. 

The powers that be do read what is here even though some will state the forum is just for us, it is obvious by the changes they are making based on good ideas found here and implementing them where they can. In some cases this means a complete about face has been made to provide what the greater numbers of those that care make vocal. So if they were to comment as well I believe this could only hence involvement leading to a better all around experience inworld for all of their customers which could bring forth growth in traffic, (that stays), profit and respect for the system as a whole on a broader public base. Even though I agree with you we have to keep in mind they are limited by staff they days which may be the make or break of them having the ability to becoming more involved.

I have no idea what the vampire issue is or was but that's OK for me as vampires aren't real anyway... right?

I just finished reading the transcripts from the Community Tools User Group.  You, Dres, Storm, Mad, Void, Cel, others all did your best to put your points across, but it seems the Lindens there would prefer us to discuss things over here on the Forums Feedback (no doubt they are easier to ignore than avatars in real life all barraging them with questions they are too inefficient to answer). 

I would like to see the forums rewound to the beginning of the vampire weekend fiasco, and anyone who was suspended or banned during that time have their posts for that weekend, and for the weeks prior to that weekend read thoroughly.  It will become very clear to the moderators/Lindens if they do this, just how unfairly these people have been suspended/banned.

I would like Linden people, Moderators, Ontyne/Scouts/whoever is responsible for anything to do with the community - and let's face it ALL are; without the community, there is no SL at all - to really be part of the community, devote some of their paid working time to take a good long look at the forums, get to know all the characters that make up this particular part of the community.  Then they will have a better idea themselves of how they can get new residents to not disappear within the first 24 hours.

Do we have a FAQ area? If so, I haven't found it yet. 

And can we have the same style of board for Answers as for Forums, with "reply" button at the bottom of each post, instead of that nonsensical "permalink" thing?

I'd like to see someone from LL explain here what directive the moderators were given concerning the Vampire subforum, specifically... including the reason why it's a lot more likely that posts will be locked, moved or pulled, warnings will be issued for questionable reasons and people will be banned, sometimes permanently, when either they post in that subforum or simply post an opinion concerning something about that subforum, including the moderation process being applied there.

Perhaps I should start my own thread about it as to not take focus away from the issues Venus has brought up, though it is related.

...Dres

Venus Petrov wrote:

Since I have been assured that someone at Linden Lab reads the feedback posted here, I have some feedback that I would like to share.

First, I would like to see a few Lindens pop in now and again (by name, not that anonymous 'Linden Lab' moniker, after all, we are a community) to comment on one thing or another in the forum.  Just randomly.  It helps to cultivate from your side to this side that sense of Community and it lets us know that you are reading and understanding.

Second, I would like that all feedback, both positive and negative, but constructive, feedback be welcomed here.  No warnings, no suspensions or bans.  I provide feedback because I care. No doubt that is the motivation of many others, too.

Third, I would like to see periodic updates (every month is fine) on things that you have read here and acted upon or not and why.  Then, I really *know* that you are hearing us.

Fourth, I request that all warnings, suspensions and bans that have been meted out since the implementation of the Vampire subforum be rescinded (exception being the true spammers who are not residents).  There are some who have been disciplined for nothing more than posting three OPs into that forum.  Other 'invited' posters have three or more OPs to their name and Linden Lab has nine. 

I hope you are listening. 

Absolutely, Venus. I always thought it was only small children who went in a huff when criticised. I always believed mature adults understood the importance of being given an opportunity to improve. I was also under the impression that companies pay to obtain customer feedback, as it's universally recognised that products have to be developed in accordance to customer needs in order for the company to thrive. Here LL get it free - man of us bending over backwards to formulate suggestions and proposals. It's truly bizarre how those who bother to do so are constantly at risk of being "punished".

Trollng and flaming impede the flow of the feedback. Negative comments, however harsh, however ironic, are the feedback. The most useful sort, ironically.

Carole Franizzi wrote

Absolutely, Venus. I always thought it was only small children who went in a huff when criticised. I always believed mature adults understood the importance of being given an opportunity to improve. I was also under the impression that companies pay to obtain customer feedback, as it's universally recognised that products have to be developed in accordance to customer needs in order for the company to thrive. Here LL get it free - man of us bending over backwards to formulate suggestions and proposals.
It's truly bizarre how those who bother to do so are constantly at risk of being "punished".

Trollng and flaming impede the flow of the feedback.
Negative comments, however harsh, however ironic, are
the feedback.
The most useful sort, ironically.

Indeed Carole. 

One additional thing is the existence of the Community Tools User Group (CTUG).  Toward the end of the meeting Viale Linden stated:  "We should meet in 2 weeks again, but eventually this will be moved to the forum for broader transparency"

It sounds like he wishes to cut off any interactive dialogue between forumites and LL.  While I agree that posting in feedback provides greater transparency of issues from the resident perspective, it is so rare now to see a Linden reply or clarify or question in the forum.  This is one reason I request that LL provide an update of some sort to Forum Feedback so that we feel like they are listening.

I, for one, would miss the interactive nature of the meetings.

Venus Petrov wrote:

I, for one, would miss the interactive nature of the meetings.

Not only that, they actually work as long as there's someone there that, not only knows how to handle one, but is in a position to address concerns and make decisions.

At one time, the process would be that we'd discuss things here in the feedback forum, hash them out a bit, decide if they should be added to the agenda, then sit down and talk it over at the meeting.  Decisions would be made, concerns would be addressed, possibilities would be scrapped or sent back to the drawing board (meaning here for further discussion) and things got done... with help from the very people that use this forum everyday and care enough to take the time and put in the effort to show up and be a part of the solution.

The system works, but it hasn't since Lexie's departure because there's no longer anyone here to play that crucial role.  LL should have never left it unfilled, even if that person wasn't as competent or knowledgeable, progress could still have been made.  If nothing else, we wouldn't have been left with no where to go to in order to address issues... we wouldn't have been forced to bring them up in the forum, getting warned for it... and suspended... and banned.

...Dres *shakes his head and sighs*

I agreed with you, Venus. I read the notes and having run large forums [non-SL]  before with very active members who had strong opinions, I know that forums can become quite a hand full. These Forums have many folks who are a wealth of knowledge, super helpful and very creative. The Lab needs to realize that their heavy-handed moderation is simply not going to fly. Folks will once again leave in droves and the SLF will be a vast wasteland of SPAM and boring ;-) LL, in the spirit of transparency, lift those bans and let's have some fun here.

Storm Clarence wrote:

I would like to see all forumites get a free Havana.  I would like to see the entire forum have a cocktail on the house.  I would like to see a Commuity Manager who understood the needs of his...err community.

I have a feeling that the first two would be easier to manage than the third.

P.S. Welcome back Storm!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4547 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.