Skin Designers and Cleavage Layers

Nyll Bergbahn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4673 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In these recessionary days and dwindling numbers in stores and malls, is it naiveity (was going to say stupidity but perhaps too strong) or sheer greed on the part of a skin designer to charge 195L for a  cleavage layer on top of 4999L for a skin pack or even 999L for a single skin? I won't name names but this particular store is not alone in doing this. I tried the demos, decided to pay the 4999L then discovered the extra 195L needed so she won't now be getting my business as a protest.  $20 lost for the sake of 80 cent. I'm not even going to bother asking her will she include it for the pack price.

There are many other excellent skin designers who throw these layers in free so I'll easily find something else. I buy new skins quite regularly. I purchased a few inexpensive reduced price skins recently that only cost 200L each yet the creator in this instance included a free tattoo cleavage layer in each.

If any skin designers read this, please do comment.

I'm not a skin designer, just a consumer, but I agree with you. It doesn't usually stop me spending $L in the store, if I like the skins enough, but I do wish more skin creators would include the tattoo layer for free. My current skin was $2100L (10 different make-ups, though, with and without hair base, so overall not a bad price in my opinion), and the cleavage layer was separate. I got so much in the skin pack that the additional cost of the cleavage layer didn't bother me much, but it would definitely be a bonus for it to be included!

For $4999L, I would absolutely expect everything included - at least one basic hairbase, some different make-up options, a cleavage layer, maybe even a shape! That's a LOT to pay for a skin, in my opinion, when I can get a skin from one of the top designers in SL for $2100L.

What was included in the skin you bought? How many skins (make-up options, etc.)? Any hairbase?

You could send her a (polite) notecard voicing your complaints, if you feel that strongly. Especially since you don't intend to buy anything else from that shop, it might be helpful to her to read your complaints. Perhaps she can fix the issue for you; or perhaps, if she gets enough complaint notecards, she'll include a cleavage layer in her skin packs in the future. Even if it doesn't help you now, it might help others. If I were a skin creator, I'd love to know what people liked and disliked about my products - too hard to purchase, too expensive for what's included, great value, great quality, lack of something they wanted/thought was included. Even if it just led to putting a note on the ad - "Cleavage sold separately" or something like that - I think any review is a good review if it's written nicely. Constructive criticism is a good thing. ^_^

i'm not one for buying skins i've been using the same skin longer than i can remember it never came with cleavage but when a cleavage option was introduced it was very modestly priced at L$50 i bought it and always wear it i had been using one of those suits all skins enhancers before that costs a couple of hundred L$ that it was very good and i'd have no problem using it with another skin brand if they didn't include a cleavage layer. 

The 4999L skin pack includes 12 skins and 12 identical HB skins and a few eyebrow options. No cleavage layer or shape. I don't care about shapes as I've had the same for nearly 5 years and I never use HB skins. I can understand a designer charging for cleavage layers for existing skins created before cleavage layers came into fashion but for brand new skins, I think it;s just squeezing the customer too much to charge extra as cleavage layers are really expected now. But you're right, I will explain to the designer why I. will not be parting with 4999L for her skin pack. 

The 200L skin is lovely but is just one skin complete with shape and cleavage layer on undershirt and tattoo layers. I don't use the shape. I bought three skins with different makeups for 600L and I may buy more. Great value but were reduced priced stock.

I am a firm believer of that merchants can set the price they want. But I also have my rights to shake my head and not buying while I mutter: "WTF?"

If they sell skins to that price and with cleavage layers not included, they have found out what their customers will pay, and price it right. If they don't sell anything, they have to consider it again.

A cleavage layer is just a tattoo or undershirt layer (usually) in the same color as the skin, worn to cover the chest are and give the appearance of more cleavage. Some shops, like Redgrave, sell different "shape" options - more cleavage, less cleavage, natural versus unnatural, etc. When I get inworld, I'll take a couple of pictures and post them.

ETA: Here's a comparison pic, if it'll work. Just a quick snap-and-edit job, but the first image has no cleavage layer, and the second is with the cleavage layer tattoo.

cleavage comparison.jpg

Recessionary days where you have issues with an item that cost $0.70 is not just recession but bankruptcy.  ;)  That's less than a coke and a lot less than a coffee from Starbucks.  In a free market we have what is known as Value.  Value is not what something is worth, it is what you are willing to pay.

I associate this as a free market.  I know I could and once charged much more for my stuff.  The beds I make for SexGen once sold for $42 US and today, I can barely get $5 for the same.  That is what is known as Price Compression where you have to lower your prices to compete.  Again, it is all free market and I can choose to or not to reduce my prices.

I'm pretty sure I know the designer and if someone suggested you get your skins elsewhere you would more than likely come back with "But I prefer [brand] Skins" giving more credence to what they are doing and confirming that their value in in line with the product.  They can charge what they want and better products warrant this.  If you make a good product and make a good profit for it, then I commend that.  If you piss off a person here and there because the recession has prevented them from buying it, oh well, this is a free market.  Many other skins out there and many now have cleavage layers.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4673 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.