Naming Ourselves: Who Will Decide Who YOU Are?

Scylla Rhiadra

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4599 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Josephina Bonetto wrote:

Comments like that are why I am not "out" in RL.

People are very ignorant, rude and think they are the first person to ever say it to people like me.

I am interesting enough to the people that matter, I don't need to justify a formal diagnosis to anyone.

don't assume what i am saying just because you may have heard something similar before..

you are in the real world right now..

i asked a question to someone else...feel like jumping in without thinking it's all about you  then have at it any time..

i was referring to me not you miss thang

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dogboat Taurog wrote:

you are probably the first person that cant.

Well, there are at least two.

There are a lot of things I can't metabolize properly. Many pills use a liver pathway called cytochrome p450. If you run low on that enzyme  you will not metabolize things properly. Dosages are one size fits all. People like this will experience many side effects, with little to no proper effect or benefit. 

Personally speaking, it's strange but most things either have no effect on me, or the opposite. In other words they do not act as they should. I haven't tried lithium and am surprized it falls into that category since it's a natural salt. I'm not bipolar and don't need any other psych meds but if I did I could not take them. This is more of a common problem than you apparently realize. It also is not only this type of medication that uses this liver pathway but many others including some  antibiotics.

Josephina Bonetto wrote:

I would explain but you have pre judged me so I have consigned you to the loser bin.

I have not labelled myself, what an ignorant statement to make.

but you just did, a rapid type 2 cycle or something.

that immediately makes me think you are a 16 year old emo.

i dont suppose you will ever explain, its typical.

Ishtara Rothschild wrote:

Btw, I would just ignore the troll with the strange name. He is the one type of person that can't be tolerated or accepted in a tolerant and open-minded society, simply because he is against everything that such a society stands for. Simply don't pay any attention to the neanderthals, they will become extinct soon enough.

Oh dear, Ishy! What if we misunderstand what "fittest" is?

;-)

Josephina Bonetto wrote:

Thanks for the thread Scylla but people are being so rude I won't be replying anymore.

I don't know if I would refer to the person who was rude to you as "people". I'm very supportive of consolidating the genera Pan and Homo and listing Pan troglodytes as a human species, but I won't extend the same courtesy to this anonymous creature that has time and time again proven to have no respect whatsoever for human beings. Just ignore it like we all do.

In my personal, biased and very rude opinion:

Everyone has the right to think whatever they want. Online, I take everyone at face value. You look female? You get addressed as such. You look male? Same. Unless I can in some other way discern your preferred gender pronoun.

The GLBT community needs to get their heads examined. Not just in SL, in RL too. People - that includes this blogger - have the right to demand anything they want. But that doesn't mean I'll have to respect that demand. Nor does anyone else. Same with GLBT: Demand whatever you want. Doesn't mean I'll acquiesce to it.

Some people believe being trans/gay/whatever is a choice. They have every right to believe that, and voice that opinion. What they do NOT have the right to is harass people, stalk people, out people without consent and so on. THAT is where I take offense, even if it doesn't pertain to me directly.

But in the case of this blogger... let him demand whatever he wants, doesn't mean I'll have to give in to any of them.

Dogboat Taurog wrote:

Melita Magic wrote:

She said she had it, not that it defines her completely.

No need to be this rude, Dogboat.

there are people dying in africa and im sure they are a tad unhappy too.

i've known a few self labelers, the majority are spoilt kids.

You need to pull your head out of your ass, you have apparently depleted your oxygen supply again and assumed the role of your **bleep**. 

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Btw, I would just ignore the troll with the strange name. He is the one type of person that can't be tolerated or accepted in a tolerant and open-minded society, simply because he is against everything that such a society stands for. Simply don't pay any attention to the neanderthals, they will become extinct soon enough.

;-)

Well, I think most people misunderstand that :) I'm not very fond of the term for that reason. It should be "survival of all individual organisms and social groups that are fit enough. PS: It's not necessarily a competition. PPS: In social species, the fitness of the individual is determined by the individual's ability to cooperate".

Josephina Bonetto wrote:

Thanks for the thread Scylla but people are being so rude I won't be replying anymore.

I don't know if I would refer to the person who was rude to you as "people". I'm very supportive of consolidating the genera Pan and Homo and listing Pan troglodytes as a human species, but I won't extend the same courtesy to this anonymous creature that has time and time again proven to have no respect whatsoever for human beings. Just ignore it like we all do.

its called honesty, let them carry on thinking that everyone cares if you like but they will be fat lonely 60 year olds before they know it.

thats exactly what happens and i have seen it happen several times, and your life is over bar the shouting.

Ima Rang wrote:

Dogboat Taurog wrote:

Melita Magic wrote:

You need to pull your head out of your ass, you have apparently depleted your oxygen supply again and assumed the role of your **bleep**. 

my upbringing was different to yours.

i lost my parents and only brother and frankly i'm pretty tough.

self pity and self labeling irritates me

;-)

Well, I think most people misunderstand that
:)
I'm not very fond of the term for that reason. It should be "survival of all individual organisms and social groups that are fit enough. PS: It's not necessarily a competition. PPS: In social species, the fitness of the individual is determined by the individual's ability to cooperate".

Well, there is my fondness for deliberate misunderstanding, but I've also noticed that I seem to truly misunderstand fitness in the context you describe as well. The "ability to cooperate" doesn't mean the ability to cooperate with you, or me, or even anyone we like.

I respect nature but I don't expect the same in return.

Dogboat Taurog wrote:

Ima Rang wrote:

Dogboat Taurog wrote:

Melita Magic wrote:

I'm sorry for your losses.

Having a condition is not a form of self-pity.  Just like having a **bleep** does not necessitate that you act like one.

Ima Rang wrote:

Dogboat Taurog wrote:

Ima Rang wrote:

Dogboat Taurog wrote:

Melita Magic wrote:

Having a condition is not a form of self-pity.  Just like having a **bleep** does not necessitate that you act like one.

telling strangers on line is an obvious sign of self pity. im not a "bleep" as you put it, i had to go through a lot and i dont have time for self pitying people who dont know how lucky they are. and invent problems.

we all get moody.

Dogboat Taurog wrote:

Ima Rang wrote:

Dogboat Taurog wrote:

Ima Rang wrote:

Dogboat Taurog wrote:

Melita Magic wrote:

telling strangers on line is an obvious sign of self pity. im not a "bleep" as you put it, i had to go through a lot and i dont have time for self pitying people who dont know how lucky they are. and invent problems.

we all get moody.

If you did not indeed have time for self-pity, you would not have, at any point, have utilized "i lost my parents and only brother" in any reply.  It is a pity statement intended to evoke a sympathy that prevents individuals from holding you responsible for your less than stellar behavior. 

Ima Rang wrote:

Dogboat Taurog wrote:

Ima Rang wrote:

Dogboat Taurog wrote:

Ima Rang wrote:

Dogboat Taurog wrote:

Melita Magic wrote:

we all get moody.

If you did not indeed have time for self-pity, you would not have, at any point, have utilized "i lost my parents and only brother" in any reply.  It is a pity statement intended to evoke a sympathy that prevents individuals from holding you responsible for your less than stellar behavior. 

it wasnt meant for sympathy it was fitting in this thread, i dont need to act in a "stellar" way its the truth as i see it.

when tyour kids are acting up do you say oh they are so adhd or whatever the current phrase is or do you punish them by taking away their toys?

you should try it sometime.

Well, I think most people misunderstand that
:)
I'm not very fond of the term for that reason. It should be "survival of all individual organisms and social groups that are fit enough. PS: It's not necessarily a competition. PPS: In social species, the fitness of the individual is determined by the individual's ability to cooperate".

Well, there is my fondness for deliberate misunderstanding, but I've also noticed that I seem to truly misunderstand fitness in the context you describe as well. The "ability to cooperate" doesn't mean the ability to cooperate with you, or me, or even anyone we like.

I respect nature but I don't expect the same in return.

I meant both the ability of each individual of a highly social species to cooperate as a member of a group and the willingness of the group to support individuals even if they can't pull their own weight. Both has been strongly selected for in human beings, which means that it constitutes fitness (at least as long as there are enough resources to go around. If resources become scarce, competitiveness and territoriality increase, but humans will still cooperate with and be supportive of their closest in kin. And of course this doesn't mean that all species need cooperate. Of course there is competition for environmental niches, as well as predator-prey and parasite-host relationships).

The common misunderstanding of Spencer's phrase is that all species and even individuals are supposed to compete with each other. Another misunderstanding is that only the fittest survive, and not all those who are "fit" enough, even if barely so. And finally, it's not even about survival, but rather about reproduction and propagation of DNA. Even the term fitness is quite unfortunate, imho. I'd prefer "organisms that are sufficiently adapted to their environment are the most likely to leave copies of their genes".

my policy:
people are who they say are until they show me differently.

if their definition of a word they use to describe them selves differs from my definition I'll use theirs with them regardless of how I may cast it my own head... polite society thrives on compromise.

if their definition directly conflicts with mine then I just won't use the word.... so far on this forum I've only had to invoke that last clause with one person.

Don't take any of his rants serious. This is just his newest attempt at shutting up people who make him feel funny because he feels threatend by (or perhaps attracted to in some cases, as this study suggests) their sexual orientation, gender identity, or neuro-atypicality.

It's the equivalent of a scared little boy hiding under a blanket to avoid seeing anything threatening. And at the same time, it's an attempt to deny us our identity by forbidding us to publicly define and identify ourselves, which is right on topic imho.

PS: I just saw that he has shown his true ugly face in his last comment. Now that everyone has seen him for the pathetic hateful creature that he is, can we please just ignore him? Thanks.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4599 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.