What is everyone's thoughts about mesh clothing?

Annie Melson

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3990 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Woa so he found one suit out of tons of misses when it comes to mesh clothing for men. I just bought a cardigan and even if I were to make my ass concave just so the back would look like it's supposed to it still did not do anything for the top of it that had about two inches of air between the clothing and my shoulders. So your boyfriend might be pleased with having a flat ass while his cuffs look bitchin, good for him. If one knows how to adjust and modify right you can make 'painted one outfits" look very nice. And also there is a fun factor! putting it together. With mesh not even , no soul.

Pros:

- Finally realistic clothing with DEPTH. Only a few creators are able to make realistic sculpted clothing, but these still clip. From 8+ years behind current graphics SL is now only around 4-5 years behind, woohoo

- Support for more creation programs. Creating sculpties was a pain because not many programs supported downgrading mesh into sculpty

Cons:

- SL now has graphics requirements that rival Crysis 2, maybe even higher requirements. Forget about even using it if you don't have a gaming computer

- No object inspection, why the hell did SL leave this out

- Unable to edit in any way. But usually mesh is supposed to be uneditable

• 10 months later...

Siddean Munro wrote:

All I ask is that people give the content creators of SL a chance to settle in and get comfortable with what they can and can't do in the new technology.  Forming an opinion on what is currently available (which are a LOT of copies of a certain subset of a certain designer's fullperm templates) is fine, but don't judge us all on their standards please.  Some creators will come up with beautiful, innovative, detailed designs, when they find their sea legs, so to speak.  we're not all buying mesh templates and putting textures on them.  But it's new, and we are still learning how it all goes together.  Plus, these creations take time.   That's all
:)

I think condeming everyone who makes textures on templates is a little harsh it takes a lot of time to make a good texture. A decently done one can take a few hours or days even. Now I'm not gonna say that it takes more time then say modeling your own and texturing that? no. But texturing is an art itself and one shouldn't just condemn it.

• 4 weeks later...

I do not like the mesh clothes.  I hardly ever fit in any of the sizes, my favorite shape is no modify, so I am stuck with stuff that does not fit.  I also do not like the alpha that makes your body invisable.  I end up with holes that I can see through usually in the breast armpit area.  I do have some Mesh hair I like ok.  And I have a mesh house that is pretty nice.  I bought a mesh table though and the table cloth on it will not lay flat all the time.  I literally have to clear my cache every two days to get it to lay flat, and that is with rendervolumnload set at 4.0

So I guess in a nutshell it is good sometimes.

Sakki

People are tossing around statistics concerning viewers used, but couldn't LL see what people are logging in with and using, and maybe share that data? Give designers a look at trends over a period of time so they can make a more well informed decision to jump into mesh?

Also, I bought the mesh hybrid avitar at the skin expo from Snow Rabbit (mesh head combined with system avatar), and I have not yet had anyone IM me asking what is wrong with my head. I get complements if anything. So if people are seeing weird things, and exposed areas on the body due to not rendering mesh clothing on me, I've yet to hear about it.

Suki Hirano wrote:

- Unable to edit in any way. But usually mesh is supposed to be uneditable

Whatever gave you the impression mesh couldn't be edited? If you have modify permissions on a mesh item you can change the textures, scale it in any axis independently of the others, color it as you wish, link it as a root prim or child and, within a script, address it as you would a prim with llSetLinkPrimitiveParams. In other words, all the editing options are there for mesh except for prim torture (tapering, cutting, twisting, etc).

• 3 months later...

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

lily Whetmore wrote:

It looks great on the rack and if you are not moving.  I have wasted money trying to find something that fits.  I have decided to not waste anymore money on it.

you should always try demos first.

Well at least if your picky and like to stick exactly to your size. If your like me and don't care then buy away. lolz

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3990 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.