Where is LL's official word concerning the Mac login issue

Protogenes Ewing

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4525 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Over 3 months have gone by, and numerous Mac users have been unable to login using Viewers 2 and 3.

LL has made no announcement there is even an issue, and no indication they plan to fix it.

I want only LL to respond to this post. No more well meaning users telling us:

1) there's an issue?

2) use a 3rd party viewer

3) delete, reinstall..repeat

4) you can always cancel your SL

So LL, here is your chance, prove me wrong and respond.

Here's an idea.  Copy and paste your post to a support ticket and submit it.  That's the only way that LL will see your question (unless some Linden accidently happens by here in the forums...........but the forums is not the place to ask LL anything).  This is a resident to resident forum that lets others help people.  If you want to blow our suggestions off and tell us not to bother that's fine.  You won't get any answers, but it's your choice.

"They are probably well aware of the issue(s) and working on it. Have you considered looking through the JIRA for a possible workaround/fix, or starting a JIRA issue yourself? have you tried a TPV? Or would you rather just complain?"

As if to prove my point, I am being called the bad guy because "you rather just complain"

Outragous behavior on my part I know, daring to complain about a service I pay for but can't use.

No, I don't. You won't find many people who work for LL using these forums, but you already knew that.

I take it that the answers to my (other) questions are all a resounding NO, hence your ignoring them.

So, fine. Ignore all the suggestions that people make to you (try a TPV, file a ticket, look on the JIRA, etc., etc., etc.).

This is the fourth thread you've started on this issue. Two you didn't bother to respond to other people in, and the other one... you said "It's LLs problem, not mine, they need to fix it."

Ain't noone gonna help you if you don't try to help yourself.

*plonk*

Here's a fact of life.  Not only for Second Life but for any software package.  When the vast majority of users can use a program with no issues, it can't be said that a problem exists with the program.  Every program requires some level of performance from the users computer/hardware.  If those requirements are not met, the user has issues.  And the people who address those requirements and either fix it or workaround it are happiest........those who bitch and complain and insist the program developer fix the problem for them are unhappy (and continue to experience problems).  Some people like being the down trodden.  I think you are one such person.

Look at your system and it's hardware........the problem almost certainly is somewhere in your machine.  Fix it and you'll  have nothing to complain about.  But, then, what would you do then?

You'll find some of the Linden people are actually using Mac's themselves.

They fix what they can, but as Peggy and others have rightly pointed out, a lot of issues are down to us as individuals to learn how to use our technology, instead of blaming other people for what we can take responsibility for ourselves.

Go on now and fire back some remark at me for being a suckup or whatever you like. It's your anger, vent it with words, go and thump a few cushions, hate anyone who disagrees with you, but it won't change a thing, if you aren't prepared to see what is obvious; the majority of Mac users are not having issues, and when LL are able to recreate the problems in the JIRAs they'll be able to fix them.

LL is well aware of the problem, there are several issues in jira for it and they all list a work around. Just what kind of announcement are you expecting, do you want them to make a blog post for every bug that comes up? Do you want them to send out a personal email to everyone? What are you expecting, it's a bug and it's listed in LL's bug tracker.

Not sure if you are talking about the "DNS cannot resolve host name" issue . If you are I am a Windows Vista user and have had the issue since 2.5 came out. Well I also had it when Viewer 2 first came out but I guess some random fix in a later version solved the issue and I tried it again and it worked. Then the update to 2.5 and it has been the error I have gotten ever since. I have tried every workaround possible. Changed my DNS to Google, flushed DNS etc. I am pretty sure it is not my ISP, if it was I don't think I would have ever been able to use viewer 2 at all.  A Linden made a bug ticket for me, I gave them my logs when trying to get into SL using the newer versions. But haven't heard anything back about it since.

I don't think it crops up in a wide range of users. Only a certain percentage and it would seem both Mac and PC users are both effected by it. I have seen bugs pop up in other online games like this one that only had a small percentage of users bothered by it for some odd reason. But the issue was eventually found and fixed.

I have came to the conclusion that eventually once everything goes to viewer 2 tech and this issue is not fixed some people including myself are going to be locked out of SL for good. If they ever do switch over and shut out all older viewers.

• 2 months later...

I am having the same issue as well. I've flushed DNS, reset computers, routers, modems, changed dns servers to manual servers. Tried google and opendns addresses and none of this works. For those in this thread claiming it is people not knowing their machines, I call BS . The workarounds that LL have given do NOT work. This is not a problem with the machines or else V1 applications wouldnt work as well as the V2-3 Apps , basic friggin networking. Now, while i have done my due diligence to resolve this issue, LL seemingly has not, if they go away from V1 viewers many will be locked out. It is a legitimate complaint and if people wish to voice their frustration here, then do not get on your high horses and bash them for stupidity. Just sayin.....

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4525 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.