What would you do with your second life ?

Emma Geraln

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1963 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Mine is!

First of all, I wanted it to be a world where I could get lost, be all alone and just wander around and explore. In SL, after I stopped to visit newbie, freebie and other popular places, I discovered a whole world of imagination, and every time i find one of those deserted and beautiful places I have a feeling like I am walking through someones head! I loooove it!!

Not to mention all those creatures that we can see every day haha (ever met a furry in RL?)! I love them all!

Also, I expected to practice and improve my English cause here in rl I don't really have many people to practice it:)

Then I wanted to find something to satisfy my curiosity, something which I could learn and explore for more than one day lol, anything... and I found many stuff here.

Wanted a job, found many.

Wanted to find a way to express my creativity, and found a great photography studio where I work now.

I earn some decent amount of lindens, I can afford to have my own home, land, to buy something the same moment when I see it.. all that without any money invested, just time. Yes, only thing I didn't expect is to spend so much time on it.I guess thats the price lol

It was exactly like expected at first.

I thought SL was an ugly place full of people who only care about shopping, sexing and chatting.

People running around half naked making stupid gestures, annoying sounds, chatting about nonsense and jumping each others virtual bones.

And SL was just that when I got there, so I left within a day or so.

Second time around I looked a bit further and discovered the educational, vintage and nostalgic side of SL and learned that "SL is what you want it to be".

Not much later I started building my own 1920s Berlin sim and the rest is, as they say, History.

I'm a sucker for a good character creator. I've always loved RPGs like Oblivion and Fallout where I get to create any person I like, and then simply exist in their virtual world. I try to play as if it were RL-me behind those virtual eyes, and immerse myself completely for a while.

My problem has always been the often-arbitrary limitations set by the developer, ("Nobody will ever want to set the slider that high/low!") which prevents me from bringing my imagination to the screen and makes it less likely that I will want to keep coming back. There is also the limited scope of game genre. I would like to take this same avatar that I have created and do something other than slay orcs or fight supervillains. Perhaps I'd like to race a motorcycle with them, or try snowboarding. Generally that's impossible without moving to a different game and thus a different (probably more-limited) avatar.

It took months of tinkering, learning, modding and troubleshooting but here's me riding a motorcycle in Oblivion. It's the only motorcycle available, and as far as the game is concerned it's actually a horse (lol), so sometimes it gets pissed off and starts attacking things, or runs away on its own like a horse would.

I came to SL because (thanks to a particular SL blog) it seemed like I really could make my avatar look like anything I wanted, and then I could do anything I wanted with that same avatar.

SL to me is like, a place where I can play any genre of game that I like, or just sit around and socialize, and be able to keep the same avatar for all of it.

So I guess to that end, my SL is exactly what I expected it to be.

Hayley Spore wrote: I've always loved RPGs like Oblivion and Fallout..

O M G! omg! omg!

Are you saying Fallout is like Oblivion? You can't be serious? (jumps up and down excitedly). SL has only 1 serious opposition, which is T.E.S. They are not even the same genre? but The Elder Scrolls is the only thing that comes close to SL creativity wise. I immediately rejected it because it didn't look, feel, smell or taste like Oblivion. Also the pathetic Steam platform cant possibly help with moddability or content creation. If I am wrong I will squeal with absolute delight.

A perfect gaming session from heaven will be: create for SL and enjoy for say 2 hours. Fire up Skyrim and create for it for 2 hours.

Roll on SL, roll on Skyrim! 

Maryanne Solo wrote:

Hayley Spore wrote: I've always loved RPGs like Oblivion and Fallout..

O M G! omg!
omg!

Are you saying Fallout is like Oblivion? You can't be serious?
(jumps up and down excitedly).

In terms of a virtual world that I can mod to my heart's content? It's a lot like Oblivion! Here's what I did with Fallout3 (This is unmodified, straight from my game!)

Fallout3 2010-10-22 19-24-28-07_resized.png

• 7 years later...

I stand around and occasionally shop. I mostly look at stuff online when I'm on SL cause I'm not as active in terms of being engaged with the community as I used to be.

I used to have fun  creating fun film projects with friends for years, but that eventually stopped as eventually people get too busy with their IRL and come on less.

Looking to join a fun RP environment that isn't urban, maybe Star Wars?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1963 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.