anyone know what happened to green life emerald??

Sorinus Serevi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4626 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I used to use a viewer called green life emerald and i loved it because it was one of the first to impliment the multiple attachments to a single point as well as having some nicer graphic options. 

the thing is i went to re-download it and i cant find anything no website no hint that it even existed at all. i cant even find a torrent for it on TPB. so can someone tell me where green life went ?

To cut a very long story short, the Emerald viewer was removed from Linden Lab's list of approved third party viewers.

However, if you liked Emerald, you will love Phoenix.

Download is available from here ...

http://www.phoenixviewer.com/downloads.php

NB: Firestorm is the Viewer 2 compatible version. Scroll down the page a little to obtain the regular 1.5 version.

its kind of a long story.

Emerald started using a file that collected information of the users, the collection of information got discovered, and the developers responsible were told to not do it anymore, they continue doing it and were discovered again, and again were told to stop, they continue collecting information and discovered again by someone, in revenge, they use their users to bring down the website of the person who discover them, every time a user logged in, an attack was made against the discoverer, and the attack was against Linden Lab Terms of Service. Linden Lab had in its rules to ban them immediatly, but they gave Emerald a chance to reform the problems and fire the developers that made that illegal attack. the bad developers blocked the other Emerald developers from the servers and killed Emerald.

LordGregGreg made the Emergency viewer to rescue the Emerald legacy and the rest of the Emerald developers continued Emerald with other name, Phoenix, because it has risen from the ashes. today, they are developing Firestorm, a viewer based on today's official viewer with Phoenix features.

here's the link to their website now: Phoenix Viewer

Actually, the Emergence viewer was already in existence when the Emerald fiasco happened. The long story cut short version is that some of the more responsible Emerald developers joined together to create the Phoenix team, which then created the Phoenix viewer (Viewer 1.5 code) & Firestorm viewer (Viewer 2 code).  Right now Firestorm is still in Beta, but it should be ready to run mesh in a week or two.

wow i need to stop taking these multi month breaks from SL i seem to have missed alot.

are there any legacy viewers that support multiple attachments to a single point that can  run on a older tiger based ibookg4

i use firestorm on my desktop but i havent found any viewers that still work on my old mac well that dont strip off half my clothes when i log on with it :P

and while there are google links claiming to be downloads personally i dont trust any site with url's that fishy looking

Sorinus Serevi wrote:

and while there are google links claiming to be downloads personally i dont trust any site with url's that fishy looking

It wouldn't matter if you did find a link with the viewer, it wouldn't work anyway because LL blocked it from connecting. Personally I wouldn't have anything to do with anything relating to them, past or present. I don't care how "clean" they are now, or at least how clean they claim to be. I'd feel dirty even thinking about using it.

Haldir Meskin wrote:

Sorinus Serevi wrote:

It wouldn't matter if you did find a link with the viewer, it wouldn't work anyway because LL blocked it from connecting. Personally I wouldn't have anything to do with anything relating to them, past or present. I don't care how "clean" they are now, or at least how clean they claim to be. I'd feel dirty even thinking about using it.

I'm honestly surprised people are willing to overlook the unmitigated failure in vetting volunteers and code, and making sure the distributed binaries matched the code publicly available to have made that whole fiasco possible.  The greenlife crew working on phoenix and firestorm now have done zero to ensure that it won't happen again other than saying "we promise!  trust us, really!"

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4626 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.