Can I place a house on land across server boundaries.The land is right next to each other...

SweetCat Moonwing

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4666 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

5 answers to this question

My one (accidental) experience with this is that the border is an issue. I would fall through that area when I moved across the line. This was at a high altitude but still, it didn't seem to work well.

Best bet I think would be to divide the house in sections if possible and have them MEET at the sim border. There still could be some issues, but not most likely not as much. Give it a try. That's all we can do.   AND server codes change ALL the time, so what didn't work a couple months ago, might now.

You probably know that "shared prims" don't work between two regions so some ingenuity will be called for to use your property to its best advantage. But, challenges are a good thing. They help us learn and grow.

You can do it, technically, but unless you are very careful it will behave poorly and you will have potential border crossing problems every time you walk from one side of the house to the other.  By "behave poorly", I mean that the house has to actually be in one sim or the other.  It can't be in both, so it will be counted as belonging to the sim where its center of mass lies.  The servers in the other sim don't know that it exists, even though you can see it clearly occupying space on that side of the border.  What that means is that the house will behave normally while you are in the sim that "owns" it (the structure will be non-phantom, so you can walk on floors without falling through), but when you are in the other sim, your avatar will walk through it as if it weren't there.  You'll fall through floors and walk through walls.  The only way to make it work is to build your house very carefully in two parts and put one half in each sim. You can overlap some prims across the border.  In fact, you should do that deliberately with floor prims, the way we build sim bridges, to make it easy to walk across the border gracefully.

It is possible to build across a sim border, but I really would not advise building a typical home so it splits a sim edge like that. The added requirements for making it work and the hassles involved just are not worth it. Better to sell both parcels and get a single parcel all in one sim, of similar area.

The issues:

1: The two parcels can't share prim counts. So if it was a 50/50 split, half the land area in each sim, but you wanted to have more than 50% of your total prims on one side or the other, you just can't do it.

2: At every place where prims cross the edge, the building has to be made in two pieces, to accommodate that seam. As a simple example, consider just one room, where half is on one side, and half on the other, and you're on the second floor of the building...

If the root prim for the building is in sim A, the half of the room in sim B is phantom. When you walk from A to B, you fall through the floor as you cross the sim edge. In sim B, you can't stand on the floor at all. In sim B, you can see the projecting prims, but they don't really exist in sim B, and you can't interact with them.

So the apparent solution is to build the room (and the whole house) in two halves. The half in sim A stops at the border between A and B, and so does the half in sim B. Looks great, and on either side the floor works. But walk from one sim to the other and you still fall through the floor!

Why?

Because there is a slight delay as you cross sim edges from A to B, where sim A isn't able to tell your avatar what exists only in sim B, and sim B hasn't yet had a chance to tell your avatar there's a floor in front of you. As far as sim A is concerned, what is across the edge doesn't exist. Until sim B tells your avatar differently, you act on what sim A told you, and fall through.

The soultion is to have the floor extend over the edge from both sides. If it sticks across the edge by 3 to 5 meters from either side, side A knows it has a floor that goes past the edge,and sim B agrees with you. You don't fall.

The elegant way to do that is to have the extension pieces be invisible, and the visible floor prims butt edge to edge. That means the extensions have to be linked to the room before you place it at the sim edge, or have to be linked on the same side as the rest of the parts, and then pushed over the edge by editing linked parts. Take a look at the roads in the Rutgers University sims (Rutgers University, RUCE 2, RUCE 3 and RUCE 4). Turn 'highlight transparent' on, and you can see the invisible projections that allow you to cross the centerlines of the roads, which split the sim edges, without falling through.

And friend and I built a bridge across two sims.  It took us a few days to get it to work without falling through (the prim that extends across the boundary becomes phantom on the sim that it is not anchored in).  What we finally did to get past the phantom problem was to use two extra prims.  Those two prims were the ones that extended across the boundary from both sides.  We knew they would be phantom on the sim the prim was not anchored in but would not be phantom in the sim they were anchored in.  We pushed the prims into each other to form what looked like a single prim.  That worked pretty well but occassionally we would still fall through (I think it had something to do with the sim servers communicating during our walks across the boundaries.  We fixed that by making the bridge in two halves and pushing them nearly touching the boundary but not extending into the next sim...........the two prims we had already placed that were extending into the next sim covered the gap we left when we placed the two halves to complete the bridge.  It worked with no falling through and we tested it at least 50 times each.  Texturing the bridge was somewhat of a nighmare but we overcame that by putting a cobblestone texture I made that was entirely random pattern..........it was hard to see the seams (but I could see them when I looked for them).

The point is, it worked great once we figured out what was happening.  The down side is it cost two extra prims and aligning the prims is critical..........and texturing is hard.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4666 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.