Goodbye King, Goodbye

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4665 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

From the moment he danced across the screen in his tight white leggings, my mother was in love.  All she could talk about was his legs.  The rest of us stared at the television our mouths hanging open and our eyes wide.  Had we really seen that?  It seemed almost in sync, we all turned at the same time and looked at my mother with this silly grin on her face.  Did she say he was hot??

Last night I received a phone call from my mom she sounded genuinely upset.  She said "He's leaving me!" My heart stopped as I imagined my parents splitting up.  "What!?"  She sniffled "The King, he's leaving!"   It took a minute to sink in and I lost it. My mother has been saying that she was having an affair with him since he first appeared in 2003.  We would tease her about ads and have contemplated a card board stand up for her. 

BK has decided to retire the King.  http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2011/08/say-goodbye-to-burger-kings-king.html

So in bidding farewell to the King, what icons do you recall from the past?

Ha!

I don't recall too many from childhood.  I do remember when I was around 4, being pissed  that Mrs. Butterworth, who was always waving her arms and talking up a storm to the kids on those tv commercials, would never speak to me.   It was about that time that my parents decided that my proclivity to take things so literally would not be best served by watching television.  Truth be known, I still a little pissed about the whole situation.  False advertising is what that was!

Lillie Woodells wrote:

The Marlboro Man :) He was pretty commonplace in Germany too before our government heavily regulated and mostly banned the advertising of tobacco products.

Like Burger King's mascot, the Marlboro cowboy also promoted addictive drugs that kill hundreds of thousands of people each year in the USA alone.

Well, it's true :) Fast food and other high caloric processed food items are not only quite addictive but also have severe side effects which can be deadly in the long run (diabetes, heart disease etc). Even salads are laced with sugar in these places, with additional sugar / corn syrup and MSG hidden in the dressings.

This kind of "food" causes an outright high followed by a down, which makes sure that the customer returns for another fix. It even has carcinogenic properties, due to the sodium nitrite that is used as a preservative in most processed meat products (such as packaged burgers and ham) and many cheeses.

Ishtara Rothschild wrote:

Well, it's true
:)
Fast food and other high caloric processed food items are not only quite addictive but also have severe side effects which can be deadly in the long run (diabetes, heart disease etc). Even salads are laced with sugar in these places, with additional sugar / corn syrup and MSG hidden in the dressings.

This kind of "food" causes an outright high followed by a down, which makes sure that the customer returns for another fix. It even has carcinogenic properties, due to the sodium nitrite that is used as a preservative in most processed meat products (such as packaged burgers and ham) and many cheeses.

I understood when you first wrote.  I just laughed very hard; it was a great delivery and line.

Without reading the OP, just looking at the Subject, I thought it was a reference to Michele Bachmann's recent faux pas exhorting the 'crowd' about her to sing 'Happy Birthday' in honor of Elvis's (aka 'The King') birthday on the anniversary of his death.

Perhaps an aide has informed her by now.

I won't miss the Burger King at all.    That frozen smile of his gave me the jeebies.

But to answer your question, I miss the Aflac duck.    I would only see the commercials during the baseball games on TV in the summer and they stopped showing them 2 years ago.

Ima Rang wrote:

Ha!

I don't recall too many from childhood.  I do remember when I was around 4, being pissed  that Mrs. Butterworth, who was always waving her arms and talking up a storm to the kids on those tv commercials, would never speak to me.   It was about that time that my parents decided that my proclivity to take things so literally would not be best served by watching television.  Truth be known, I still a little pissed about the whole situation.  False advertising is what that was!

Ima I remember thinking the same thing!  Hahah I hope you still don't stare at the bottle and wait for her to move.. What happened to Mr. Butterworth?

Ishtara Rothschild wrote:

Lillie Woodells wrote:

The Marlboro Man
:)
 He was pretty commonplace in Germany too before our government heavily regulated and mostly banned the advertising of tobacco products.

Like Burger King's mascot, the Marlboro cowboy also promoted addictive drugs that kill hundreds of thousands of people each year in the USA alone.

Right!  And don't forget Joe Camel too!

falconblue wrote:

I won't miss the Burger King at all.    That frozen smile of his gave me the jeebies.

But to answer your question, I miss the Aflac duck.    I would only see the commercials during the baseball games on TV in the summer and they stopped showing them 2 years ago.

Wow we still see the Aflac duck, though now he has a new voice.  I know what you mean about the King.. he was one creepy dude.  The commercials when the guy wakes up and the King is in bed with him... talk about nightmares.  Just think, he might have been my step dad!  *shudders*

Sylvia Tamalyn wrote:

I don't watch a whole lot of TV and I hadn't seen that. I am not a big fan of advertising and I am not at ALL a big fan of chain stores (I remember when the hardware store and the bookstore and all were just stores in your town) but I have to admit that's really nice. Sometimes they get it just right. There was a series of radio advertisments that aired in my part of the country several years back for S&W canned goods. Mr. S and Mr. W. They were far and away the most brilliant and charming radio commercials I've ever heard.

Getting back to animals...one of the local SPCA's (I forget which county) for a while ran an ad to promote pet adoption. Pictures of kitties and puppies with the chorus from "I Want to Know What Love Is". No talking, just the animals and the song. For a lot of people (not me, of course; I'm as tough as nails) it was really hard to watch.

The chorus starts 1:36 in (if you don't know the song). I think the television commercial just used the end where they keep singing it over and over.

ETA: I wish I could find a youtube of the commercial: I'd put in that 'Songs That Make You Cry' thread.

Lillie Woodells wrote:

Right!  And don't forget Joe Camel too!

I don't think Joe Camel ever made it into German Camel ads and commercials :) He was (and still is) on the cigarette packs of course, but as far as advertising goes, Camel emulated Marlboro's "rugged tough guy against nature" approach. Here is an old magazine ad:

camel.jpg

German ads are generally more serious and less humorous. I sometimes browse for funny commercials on YouTube, and I always find it sad that most of our commercials are so boring and matter-of-fact in comparison.

Not sure if it was an icon but at the time, people I knew wouldn't stop talking about.

Type Home computer
Release date August 1982[1]
Discontinued April 1994
Operating system Commodore KERNAL/
Commodore BASIC 2.0
GEOS
CPU MOS Technology 6510
@ 1.023 MHz (NTSC version)
@ 0.985 MHz (PAL version)
Memory 64 kB RAM + 20 kB ROM
Graphics VIC-II (320 × 200, 16 colors, sprites, raster interrupt)
Sound SID 6581 (Osc, Wave, Filter, ADSR, Ring)
Connectivity CIA 6526 Joystick, Power, Cartridge, RF, A/V, IEEE-488 Floppy/Printer, Digital tape, GPIO/RS-232
Predecessor Commodore VIC-20
Successor Commodore 128

That was a real bargain compared to the price of an Apple II Plus or an 8086, not to mention a 286 PC :) Of course you had to pay extra for a floppy drive. The default storage medium was cassette tapes. But it was still pretty cheap considering that it had the graphic and audio capabilities of a gaming console.

ETA: The best thing about it was that it forced German kids to learn English :) I doubt that I would have bothered to improve on my meager school English if it had not been for the C64 (and the many pirated English language games that were passed around on the schoolyard).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4665 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.