Buying clothes that I can't seem to wear

Davina101

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4419 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Another newbie question. I'm buying these clothes, dresses or costumes, not sure really how to tell the difference yet, and some of them just stick to my hand as a cube instead of allowing me to "dress" in them. I bought a skin, that's another story, uneditable, but nice enough, and I don't know if this particular skin doesn't let me do or wear certain things. I really need to find some proper clothing to represent what I'm about to reveal. But it seems I need to learn how to get dressed first. Is there something specific I should look for when I buy clothing to make sure that I can wear them after I buy them? I am afraid a couple things I bought are listed as "objects" but I'm not sure. For example, I bought this one outfit or, what I thought was an outfit called Fairytail from 1DELUXE or IDELUXE and it says (no moodify) (no transfer) next to it. The store was listed as Womemswear & menswear Sanibell Island. I don't why, but when I right-click it and select "wear", it just attaches to my right hand as a cube. It was a really cute outfit in the display window. But I can't swear it was a wearable outfit. I guess i have a lot to learn.

Consider those objects like unwrapped presents.  You need to be somewhere you can rez or drag them out of your inventory to the ground to properly unpack them.  Unpacking takes a right click and then copy to your inventory.  Then you can delete the package on the ground.  The contents will copy into your inventory into it's own folder and you can file as you see fit.

So, do not wear the box, unpack it!  BTW, all newbies have worn a box.  It is a right of passage.

This is one of the classic newbie problems, so you're not alone.

I suggest dragging your folders for individual clothing outfits into your Clothing Folder too, if they aren't there already. Try to keep your Inventory as neat & orderly as possbile, because having alot of stuff & not being able to find it easily is one of the big problems people end up having in SL.

Welcome to SL! We have much more than just cookies.

No need to worry, there is not even a need to rezz the box. Just wear the box  ( cube, bag, whatever shape it has), right click it and select edit. Then move to the tab 'contents' and drag all the contents of the box onto to your inventory. Now, take off the box and move to the new stuff in your inventory to wear the items.

Have fun

Jeannie

YOU guys are AWESOME! I came back to ask these very questions and youve already answered them for me. I feel like i owe you all a great deal already. That makes me feel like a heel for not revealing my true self yet. But I guess my profile is the right place to do that. I wish I had more time to devote to this. it's a lot of fun. But I have to squeeze it in where I can. And that thing about keeping things "orderly", I can see how that can get out-of-hand real quick. I've already been deleting things like crazy.

You are so adorable! Trust me and all other posters, we've ALL worn a package instead of an outfit. Be thankful that you didn't hit "Replace All" when right-clicking on the package in your inventory. It makes you wear ONLY the package, and you're standing in public with all of your other "packages" hanging out. I think that this is one of the things that new users should be informed of immediately on creating an account. Most new users don't intend to end up in public in their birthday suits.

Thanks Mila, Yeah, it's weird but it's like I don't want to dress in front of anyone so I find these remote areas to change. I hope people don't hate me when they figure out who I really am though. I still have issues with that because I don't know if I started out with the riight kind of AVI.

Davina101 wrote:

Thanks Mila, Yeah, it's weird but it's like I don't want to dress in front of anyone so I find these remote areas to change. I hope people don't hate me when they figure out who I really am though. I still have issues with that because I don't know if I started out with the riight kind of AVI.

You are EXACTLY who you choose to be, be that to the full :)

(It took me a week to find out how to stop wearing boxes)

Sassy Romano wrote:

(It took me a week to find out how to stop wearing boxes)

One of the things that keeps me going when I'm trying to understand some seemingly impossible scripting conundrum is the thought that, no matter how difficult it seems, it can't possibly be any worse than once I thought opening boxes was.

When I was new, I found a quiet little patio area behind a shop where I could dress. Sandboxes work too, but you have to rez a house or dressing room & be sure the autoreturn time is long enough so your dressing house doesn't go poof before you're done.  You can also dress under water sometimes for a bit of privacy.  I did that too.

You can put on a new outfit first & then take off what's left of the old one, but when you try on skins & shapes, you really need privacy to see how you look naked.  Check the map or mini map then to make sure there aren't other people nearby who could peep on you (if you care).  Personally, I've developed the attitude that I don't care if people peep, as long as they're descrete & don't say anything to me.  I hate it when I'm dressing & someone pops in or says "nice boobs" or something like that. That's just rude.

Aw, you're welcome!

I wasn't always picky about finding a spot, since, once I figured out the "wear" vs "replace" issue, I was fine with it. However, in recent years, it hasn't been as simple as that. I am now back to fully endorsing changing rooms.

For instance (and I know Jo Yardley...and probably a crowd of 1920's Berlin folks remember), back when 1920's Berlin first hit the showcase, we had a flood of people. This was before Emerald was really big, so I was on the standard viewer. I went to change my outfit, and the clothing layers would not WEAR. No matter what I did. I couldn't even re-wear what I was previously wearing. Because I couldn't abandon gate-watching, when we were that busy, I ended up running across the city and hiding in the bandstand of the nightclub, topless, while camming to watch the gate. Since prim attachments still worked, I threw on my famed "Pippy Barrel," to keep my bits and pieces from view (couldn't stand at the gate like that, though).

For some reason, sometimes, clothing layers won't wear, no matter what you do. Thankfully, in those cases, prim attachments still seem to work.

You know? I'm going to send you my barrel. Anyone else who wants one, send me an IM.

Snapshot_001.png

Awh, Mila, you're so sweet, thank you again. Even though I played around with SL back in it's humble beginnings, it quickly out-grew the computer I was using so I consider myself a brand new newbie as of a couple days ago. And I have no idea how to interconnect these web pages in my browser to the SL environment. But that barrel looks awfully useful in a pinch. So far, I've been flying up to the top of some remote building or someplace like that. Seems very private and even gives me that tiny twinge of exibitionism fix. So now, it a matter of shopping. Trying to find the exact right shoes to match the outfit and stuff. It seems like it hard to find things all in one place so I'm doing a lot of searching. And computer searches have never been my strong suite.

Don't worry about trying to link to SL from here. I sent you the barrel in-world. :) It's saved me from quite a few accidental flashings.

Regarding searching: Actually, it's been very beneficial to me as a shopowner to offer EVERYTHING in one store. Everything from eyes, to skin, to my vintage clothing. Getting a lot of positive customer feedback on the fact that they can get more and more of what's pictured in an advert right in my store. Annnnd yes, for the men, I AM working on more and more. Just takes time.

• 6 months later...

Can't seem to change my shoes, everything I try to wear or replace works responds in tabs,indicating that the item is worn, yet my avatar visual still has the same nasty trainers I was given with original. All other modifications work fine enough, just the shoes, frustrating.

• 2 weeks later...

what can I do when it says that parcel is too full to unpack?

and when I right click on the box dragged on the floor and copy, it copies the same orange box in my inventory, it does not unpack it! how do I copy to inventory unpacking it? if I copy the same box to inventory and wear it I still wear a box.. why is this so frustrating? why can't I just buy and wear something?

:(

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4419 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.