LL offer help for sim owners pls !

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4228 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I really wish LL would offer a tool simular to the banned RED ZONE orb, I know a bad subject but hear me out. LL has your private information anyway, so why can't they offer SIM OWNERS a tool simular to this , so we can protect out regions from copybotting, griefers, and banned alts ? I certainly do not need nor want to know anyone's RL information, I simply want a tool to prevent this issues from happening, I have tried every other orb and tool on the market to stop this , doesn't work, I have banned Griefers, they come back as alts . Many sim owners have expressed the same wish, a tool from LL that will aide us sim owners . Just a thought that I hope LL will offer in the future . I simple tool that will bad a avatar and it's alts as LL knows your alts anyway . What do you say LL ? pretty please ? smiles. ty .

Linden Labs also has a Privacy Policy which is a legal and binding contract where they also disclose their address, legal name and phone number.

Are you willing to give all of your personal information to everyone who enters your region?  If so, why not have each one register and opt in as they do with Linden Labs while providing your personal information in a privacy policy?

I was one of the advocates against RedZone and am delighted to see him in Jail now.  I do not authorize LL to give this information out to anyone and would not use SL if they did.

I have a primary alt that I do business on and a couple of other I play on.  I don't know you and as such, I will never tell you therefore, I don;'t want someone else telling you either.

In all very few are causing you an issue and as such, you do not deserve the right to know everything about everyone and invade my privacy, in any way.

By the way, in the beginning of SL we could fly from Orientation Island to the Mainland.  We all flew on our first day and it was off to the mainland.

I've had a few problems with griefers on my little plot of land.   I've banned them and solved the coming back as a newbie alt problem by simply checking the two little boxes in land access keeping out anyone without payment information on file and who hasn't adult verified.   Since few actual copybotters or griefers are going to go to that trouble with thier alts, it seems a simple enough solution.

And if LL comes up with something similar to what you suggest, someone else will come up with a way to defeat it.  So what's the use?

If it WERE possible to prevent people from stealing textures or prim layouts, I would agree with you.  But even my best experimentals don't protect 100% of the time.

As the code which viewers are made out of is open source, anyone can add a few lines to capture all the prim data and texture data to the hard drive with their own homebrew viewer.  And even if you had bulletproof encryption (something even the Govt. after spending billions cannot accomplish) the easily found GLIinterception programs catch the textures going to the video cards.  Banning people who get caught using such scumware is likewise a failure, since generating a new IP address is child's play.  So really, the redzone was easily defeated, and IP numbers are not and never have been a reliable way of identifying people.

What should be done is creating an IPLinden who checks stuff upon reporting, and whoever made X first is the winner.  LL should then ban the losers by their credit card or other financial data.  A thief can create as many alts as they wish.  But if those get banned whenever the credit card number gets added to the account, the thief has no way to get the money out anymore. No money, almost no theft.  Take the financial gain out of stealing in SL and you reduce it drastically.  And while it's possible to get new credit cards with a phone call, most banks won't allow you to do that more than 3 times a year -- it costs them money when they have to issue new cards.  At the fourth time you call to get a new card, they cancel you.  While this requires an employee evaluate each complaint, it is the only real solution to the mess, as no tech solution is possible when the prims and the texture data get sent to people for the rendering to occur.

Annabel Coveria wrote:

I AGREE WE SHOULD BE ABLE TO BAN BY THE IP NOT JUST AVIE NAME.  THESE IDIOTS DO COME BACK AS ALTS AND THEY TRY TO PASS OFF AS NOOBS BUT WHAT NOOBS CAN FLY A DAY AFTER HE/SHE WAS CREATED.

You have got to be kidding.  Really.  Seriously.  Not everybody who joins SL is computer illiterate.

Annabel Coveria wrote:

I AGREE WE SHOULD BE ABLE TO BAN BY THE IP NOT JUST AVIE NAME.  THESE IDIOTS DO COME BACK AS ALTS AND THEY TRY TO PASS OFF AS NOOBS BUT WHAT NOOBS CAN FLY A DAY AFTER HE/SHE WAS CREATED.

Annabel Coveria wrote:

Here we go again :(

Banning by IP is really a great idea with Dynamic IP Addys, NOT!!!! Try to inform yourself first before you say something like this.!

And quite honestly, what is so difficult to learn to fly anyway ? Not all ppl logging into SL the 1st time are completly unable to use a piece of software such as the Viewer! 

I am not again , saying LL to give anyone's information to anyone ! I said " Linden Lab knows you information anyway , why can they offer a tool , where ONLY LL will know the information BUT will BAN IP addresse's . I am not interested in anyone's private information what I am interested in is, stopping banned people , griefers and copybots from coming to my region I pay 295.00 USA a month for .

I am not doing anything other than being number 1 western role play sim and sadly in SL as well as in RL, you do not have to do anything for people to cause trouble and make problems, there are some people you know in this world as well as real world who just enjoy doing things like this . To say that someone is causing this is very unfair and ignorant thoughts . No one has to do anything to get griefed , copybotted , and have alts come to their regions, really now .

and I must add , myself and many other come to the forum for answers and to seek help, information , etc. We do not come here to be made feel like we are being idiots , stupid and asking dumb questions . I have seen this many times, if you do not have anything nice to say , then why say it ? Do you ever think of how you might make someone feel ?If you can not offer a productive answer and/ or solution , please do not insult my intelligence or that of others, think before you post . :matte-motes-impatient:

Ok, let me rephrase this then.

There is no "Magic Orb" that stops Copybotters! Period!

You allready have tools to restrict entrance to your Sim, use them and you will have a lot less "new account" griefers.

Banning by IP Adress is a stupid idea, because most ppl have a dynamic IP that changes a lot. It might change every time they log on. And most importantly, different ppl can use the same IP Adress over a period of time. So you ban 1 person who just had that particular Addy at that particular time, and with this, you also ban EVERY OTHER PERSON who uses this addy at a later time!

ps: This has nothing to do with insulting you, these are facts. If this is not the answer you want to hear, well .... 

What kind of place do you have that attracts so many griefers?  I see these "We need a griefer banning tool" complaints on several posts, yet I hardly run into any griefers inworld, have only had to ban maybe 4 in 2 years, and frankly most of the griefing I have run into at clubs and other venues is being done not by guests, but by people who work there.

Just curious.

• 1 year later...

you dont want an IP ban. A hardware ban would be better (mac address) this bans them by there network card. no personal info there. and the info wouldnt be given to anyone regarless its all done behind the scene when you add to the ban list. This is something LL needs to add Estate owners need stronger tools.

IP Ban is useless an mean. My IP adress changes from time to time. I know that because I once had the "luck" to get one which was banned from LL. I got an error message that I couldn't acess SL on this computer. After some time, I could get back inworld.

I'm a resident for over two years now. I own two accounts, both basic, I'm active on the forums and a while back I had a sweet income from inworld jobs. But one thing I never had: payment informations on my account. You may ask why. Well, one reason was, I never really needed extra money and I found the exchange rate to be rather low. Another and even more important one was that in my country it isn't common that everyone has a creditcard. I pay my daily stuff with normal money and onlinepurchases directly from my bank account with a cash card. So I don't have any reason to have a credit card other than SL. And I'm not even sure if I could get one without regular high income...

If a place is blocking avatars like mine I don't get a good opinion about them and go to the many other sims around. Also a cobybotter doesn't need to be on your land to steal from you.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4228 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.