Just made myself a facebook profile today

WADE1 Jya

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3746 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm aware that facebook sometimes deletes av accounts. Some av accounts also don't get deleted.

I think it depends on how you make the account....

I'll see what happens :)

They might delete it.... or not. No big deal if they do really, it took 5 minutes to sign up.

Anyway, thought it might be a fun way to connect with other SL residents & I'm curious how other avatars use facebook.

Does anybody know what facebook wants to see for an avatar account to make sure it is not deleted?

I would like to set it up right according to the rules if possible.

I know facebook just doesn't disallow all avatars, or Second Life wouldn't be trying to connect everyone there.

I would obviously prefer that... what do you think, have I done it right?

WADE1 Jya wrote in part:

I know facebook just doesn't
disallow all avatars
, or Second Life wouldn't be trying to connect everyone there.

From Facebook's terms of use:

Registration and Account Security

Facebook users provide their real names and information, and we need your help to keep it that way. Here are some commitments you make to us relating to registering and maintaining the security of your account:

1. You will not provide any false personal information on Facebook, or create an account for anyone other than yourself without permission.

There is no money in harvesting the data of SL avatars, spying on their browsing and shopping habits, and selling their private information. Therefore, you're expected to provide Zuckerberg with your real name, age, gender etc. and then link your SL identity to your Facebook profile.

WADE1 Jya wrote:

Does anybody know what facebook wants to see for an avatar account to make sure it is not deleted?

I would like to set it up right according to the rules if possible.

disallow all avatars

I would obviously prefer that... what do you think, have I done it right?

Hi, their official line is that profiles have to be for real life identities, but it is OK to add a page for things like avatars, tied to the real life profile.

You can't do that without linking your RL and SL identities though. Which is simply not an option for most people.

And even those who don't mind doing that surely wouldn't want to see an internet-wide ID system and the complete loss of net anonymity, which is where we're headed. There is an increasing number of sites where you cannot comment or otherwise participate without having a Facebook, Google+ or similar account, and it is frightening how much information these social networking sites are tracking (online purchases etc.) People who support sites like Facebook unwittingly support the end of net anonymity and online privacy.

Oh really? i'd like to create a page & delete that profile then, so I'm following the rule.

There must be some way to do it without publicly linking SL to RL identities. I would rather not connect that way for privacy reasons & also to me it spoils immersion.

Is it possible (in the process of making a page) to just let facebook privately know the connection between page & profile, and maintain my avatar identity separately?

Cerise Sorbet wrote:

Ishtara Rothschild wrote:

You can't do that without linking your RL and SL identities though.

Yes, that is a fairly good repetition of what I wrote. People who do not want to disclose their real life identities should not use Facebook, period.

If you had read past that one sentence that you picked out of my post, which was merely a confirmation / warning that if you do this, you WILL out yourself -- not just to the little Facebook gremlins, but also to everyone that Zuckerberg's company decides to share your information with in the future -- then you might have understood my point. Which was a bit more complex and less asinine than "don't like it, don't use it period".

Oh, Ishtara, you post so many words to say so little. What you need to understand, but are probably unable, is that I omitted the remainder of your regurgitation because it was nothing more than regurgitation, not even approaching synthesis. Wade asked what that company allowed for an SL presence, and would not have asked that if she wasn't already aware of the privacy concerns. 

Well, that proves beyond doubt that you didn't quite grasp my point. While people are usually well aware of their own selfish concerns, they are rarely ever well informed, nor are they prepared to consider the long-term consequences of their actions for themselves and others.

I refuse to support sites such as Facebook out of principle, because I don't like the implications of a web-wide identity system based on Facebook or Google+ IDs and data harvesting on a global scale. That's what I tried to get across in my post (which was hardly a regurgitation, seeing that no one else had made this point before me), apparently without much success.

Or, to give you another example: I no longer post in the Answers section of this Forum, no matter how rewarding it might be to grind status points for a shiny purple badge, because I don't want to be complicit in the ongoing deterioration of LL's customer service quality.

Well, that proves beyond doubt that you didn't quite grasp my point. While people are usually well aware of their own selfish concerns, they are rarely ever well informed, nor are they prepared to consider the long-term consequences of their actions for themselves and others.

I refuse to support sites such as Facebook out of principle, because I don't like the implications of a web-wide identity system based on Facebook or Google+ IDs and data harvesting on a global scale. That's what I tried to get across in my post (which was hardly a regurgitation, seeing that no one else had made this point before me), apparently without much success.

Or, to give you another example: I no longer post in the Answers section of this Forum, no matter how rewarding it might be to grind status points for a shiny purple badge, because I don't want to be complicit in the ongoing deterioration of LL's customer service quality.

I do not like the implications of a web-wide identity either.  This is why I do not support FB.  I also think it is age related.  We are in the FB generation and these kids feel like they NEED to be connected.

Re: SLA.  I don't think your ends justify your means. Yes, LL gets off easy by passing the customer service buck to residents, but SLA is a forum, and like many other *corporate* forums that are implemented to assist their clients in understanding and using their product.   If SLA did NOT exist I don't think this 'discussion' style forum would exist in LL either.  

And, not everyone participates in SLA for a shiny new badge of courage.    

PS I do enjoy your participation on this forum and I am glad you did not forsake here too.  Only newer members lose when you don't participate in SLA - because *you* have their answers.   

I had a Facebook profile for a long time, until FB deleted it a month or so ago.  I now have a FB page as a fictional character.  You do NOT have to have a profile to have a page.  My page is not linked with any FB profile.  I just made a gmail account to use just for it.  You can make a FB page here:  http://www.facebook.com/pages/create.php

You can also convert a profile to a page:  You can read about that here:  http://www.facebook.com/help/?page=18918

However, I like 2ndhub better, since I am welcome there, and I hope it really takes off.  It is a social networking site for SL avatars. http://www.2ndhub.com/

I agree and I put up a FB page only under duress from family members.  I rarely go there. I remind my nieces and nephews that they should remember that many potential employers will search for MySpace, FB, and twitter accounts to assess the 'fit' of applicants.  Hey, everything on the interwebs is fair game.

I do not see the point in registering avatars (or WoW toons or anything similar) on FB, MySpace, etc.  FB wants their data 'pure' (i.e., 'real') so that those to whom they provide it can rely upon it for decisions (marketing, etc).

Thanks Jennifer! I will convert this profile to a page, that works as a way to do this right!

jjccc, I do fully understand the diabolical underpinnings of facebook, I've seen Zuckerborg shaking hands with CIA :matte-motes-sick:

I am happy to use facebook only for SL purpose, maintaining complete privacy with a page.

Converted to a page for The LOLO Pet Shop (since pages can't talk to anyone, having one for my avatar doesn't make sense), yay well I am on facebook properly now: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Wade1-Jya/229503850427872?sk=wall

Facebook, I have a RL account but not one for SL. I just don't see the need for it. I also don't oppose it either. Paranoid? A little bit. I mean what is there to be scared of with Facebook when the Vatican has all our information right from the day we were born? I mean in RL I am the long forgotten and brilliantly hidden illegitimate sister of the late Princess Diana. I mean how significant I really am to be scared that my true identity be outed in the SL world?

WADE1 Jya wrote:

disallow all avatars

Linden Lab is trying to connect a part of the SL userbase with Facebook. This doesn't imply that Facebook accounts based upon SL data are legit.

I'm not one of them but some Second Life users are 100% OK with revealing the connection between their SL and their RL identity. These accounts don't violate Facebook policy. Even it they were a small part of Facebook userbase, it would still be millions of people; so, it does make sense that Linden Lab take them into consideration by establishing ways to connect SL with Facebook.

slightly offtopic: personally I think Rodvik has been clear enough, and the recent presentation by Brett Linden at SLCC confirmed it - no "Facebookification" of Second Life is going on. Still, it's a catchy word for those looking at new ways to whine against the evolution of Second Life.

• 2 years later...

This thread is somewhat dated,

Zuck and cronies speak with forked tongue.

They claim Real Names have be used and completely ignore that FB is already infested with scammers that pass as Veterans. They have no problems with hosting commercial pages that are eMail spammers, the latter because they are a source of Revenue.

FB froze my RL account once because I was logging in from "an IP address that looks different than your regular address". This is to protect you...

I did manage to create a new personal account using a proxy from Spain. I understand there are over 300,000 SL/FB accounts, so what gives?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3746 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.