Looks like the Feed is going to result in a lot of capped messages

Myra Wildmist

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4666 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I logged today and I noticed someone had written on my Feed. I knew this because I had a notification awaiting me in SL that alerted me to that. Ummm, won't this mean that a lot more people are going to end up with their messages capped? If so, is there a way to turn this off?

ETA: I think the new Feed feature in the profiles is a lot of fun and many people will really enjoy them. Good idea, LL.

Why on earth would they make the useless new page be the page that comes up when you open a profile.  I don't care about having a Facebook look-alike profile page.  I generally use profiles to find out a little about another avatar, and often to find a LM for a store in a creator's picks.  This new Home page is worse than useless.  How do they come up with stuff like this?  I don't object to social networking.  I had a Facebook account until FB closed it (without notice).  I have a 2ndhub account, and I hope 2ndhub takes off.  But it's absolutely stupid to make such a thing a part of profiles.  They seem bent on making profiles progressively less useful.  Remember the days when profiles opened almost instantly?   It boggles the mind that LL devotes resources to developing things like this while neglecting things that really would make SL better.

Fortunately, LL listened for a change and added an off button so you can stop anyone from posting to or viewing your profile wall. I encourage taking advantage of this button to send a message that perhaps LL might save a lot of time and money if they ask the users before developing a useless and unneeded feature like that in the future.

Jennifer Boyle wrote:

Why on earth would they make the useless new page be the page that comes up when you open a profile.  I don't care about having a Facebook look-alike profile page.  I generally use profiles to find out a little about another avatar, and often to find a LM for a store in a creator's picks.  This new Home page is worse than useless.  How do they come up with stuff like this?  I don't object to social networking.  I had a Facebook account until FB closed it (without notice).  I have a 2ndhub account, and I hope 2ndhub takes off.  But it's absolutely stupid to make such a thing a part of profiles.  They seem bent on making profiles progressively less useful.  Remember the days when profiles opened almost instantly?   It boggles the mind that LL devotes resources to developing things like this while neglecting things that really would make SL better.

I like the new features. I needed them, and you should learn to respect other users' needs.

You defined a new feature "absolutely stupid" because you won't use it. Who cares if you use it?

Deal with the fact that Second Life is used by many different kinds of people, for different reasons, with different needs, and your mind won't boggle anymore.

Also funny how you think that Linden Lab worked on this instead of working on other features.

Crim Mip wrote:

Fortunately, LL listened for a change and added an off button so you can stop anyone from posting to or viewing your profile wall. I encourage taking advantage of this button to send a message that perhaps LL might save a lot of time and money if they ask the users before developing a useless and unneeded feature like that in the future.

Unfortunately, they only added a privacy setting for turning your own profile's feed and notifications off. The Home page still gets spammed with your friend's idle chit-chat, and if you ever commented on anyone else's feed, the notifications tab in your profile shows you updates for all those feeds. And every profile you try to look at for anyone who hasn't diabled their profile's feed shows you their feed, before you can see ANYTHING else in their profile.

Those who want to use it are welcome to do so.

But please, LL, let those of us who do NOT want to use it have a way to turn it off completely, and never see it at all.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4666 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.