Inconvenient Truths about Second Life

14 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Really?

Who, and where do I apply?

(I don't buy this. Sorry.)

It wouldn't be an inconvenient truth if it were easy to agree with it and easy to talk about (remember, just talking about it too much is against the rules, that should tell you plenty).

• Thanks 1

MBA types will continue to try to market SL as a venue for meetings, for the same reason why Tim Berners-Lee thought the WWW's best use would be for academic papers.  The MBA types are stuck in their own heads too much to see that there are many compelling use cases, beyond the meetings they live in, 24/7.

I mean, SL is, objectively, crap for meetings, but even if it wasn't, this problem remains.  The point is they will continually try to make meetings work, and almost exclusively market it as a meetings platform, to the detriment of other uses, because meetings is the only thing people with MBAs know.  They need to get out more.

Edited by Bubblesort Triskaidekaphobia
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Bubblesort Triskaidekaphobia said:

MBA types will continue to try to market SL as a venue for meetings, for the same reason why Tim Berners-Lee thought the WWW's best use would be for academic papers.  The MBA types are stuck in their own heads too much to see that there are many compelling use cases, beyond the meetings they live in, 24/7.

I mean, SL is, objectively, crap for meetings, but even if it wasn't, this problem remains.  The point is they will continually try to make meetings work, and almost exclusively market it as a meetings platform, to the detriment of other uses, because meetings is the only thing people with MBAs know.  They need to get out more.

Inconvenient Truth: Second Life is like the parable of the "Blind Men and the Elephant".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_men_and_an_elephant

image.jpeg.54fa19fa16ab98661c35e1b715781fab.jpeg

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1

On 8/16/2024 at 1:28 PM, Rowan Amore said:

Increasing your 'Package' from coin purse to duffle bag never looked good.  Just leave that slider alone.

THIS is what I'm talking about for those not familiar.    12 years inworld, too.  Dial that down!

8d30d8186ca9890e2c42e00658e802f5.thumb.png.e4b93354be1fd5873dfaed53bc767552.png

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:
19 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Really?

Who, and where do I apply?

(I don't buy this. Sorry.)

It wouldn't be an inconvenient truth if it were easy to agree with it and easy to talk about (remember, just talking about it too much is against the rules, that should tell you plenty).

It's when people report you that you get dinged by a moderator (usually) -- but it's understandable that moderators don't have time to read everything. So just be a total suck-up (kidding, I know you'd never be) like some people here and don't make any enemies who love getting you into trouble by reporting your posts.

Yes this is an inconvenient truth, and applies inworld too. All sorts of stuff goes unnoticed and 'allowed' inworld unless somebody reports it.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

THIS is what I'm talking about for those not familiar.    12 years inworld, too.  Dial that down!

"Excuse me Sir, is that your overwhelming feeling of inadequacy in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me?!" 😅

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I don't necessarily like everyone's appearance inworld either... But it IS their SL. There AV is their own personal choice. As long as they abide by the TOS, and the rules of the SIM they are in, none of us can say a single thing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SandorWren said:

I don't necessarily like everyone's appearance inworld either... But it IS their SL. There AV is their own personal choice. As long as they abide by the TOS, and the rules of the SIM they are in, none of us can say a single thing. 

Ahh, if only everyone in SL shared your sense of tolerance! :) 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SandorWren said:

none of us can say a single thing.

Sure we can.  I'd not say anything directly TO them but yeah, when I see something like that on a 12 yr. avatar?   I'm pointing and laughing.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, SandorWren said:

I would not comment to their face as that would be rude. Likely you don't understand this, but excessively sexualizing body parts or participating in sexual activities to a huge degree in terms of time spent during a day or with life in general, signifies an imbalance.  Most people naturally feel that's a little "off" and unhealthy.

5 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I would not comment to their face as that would be rude. Likely you don't understand this, but excessively sexualizing body parts or participating in sexual activities to a huge degree in terms of time spent during a day or with life in general, signifies an imbalance.  Most people naturally feel that's a little "off" and unhealthy.

We all make judgements based on appearances and, while in this case it's mostly just light-hearted humour and not meant to cause offense, I do think it's wrong to judge someone too harshly based purely on appearances.

It's easy to make generalizations and assume that the person in the picture is some sort of deviant obsessed with the size of his coin purse but he most likely has the same hopes and dreams in his heart as the rest of us, perhaps his is so overflowing that he has to store the excess in his pants? 🤔:) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

perhaps his is so overflowing that he has to store the excess in his pants? 🤔:) 

lol

My first thought was that he perhaps doesn't even know what he has done, but likely he's succumbed to the American dream -- that bigger is always better.  More more MOAR...

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

We all make judgements based on appearances and, while in this case it's mostly just light-hearted humour and not meant to cause offense, I do think it's wrong to judge someone too harshly based purely on appearances.

It's easy to make generalizations and assume that the person in the picture is some sort of deviant obsessed with the size of his coin purse but he most likely has the same hopes and dreams in his heart as the rest of us, perhaps his is so overflowing that he has to store the excess in his pants? 🤔:) 

Well, I do take into consideration several factors.  Age inworld, groups, PIOF, profile, etc.   This male had all sex groups, picks were for a lot of free sex places that I doubt are even around anymore and no PIOF.  These are generally the ones who TP into an adult club and proceed to IM all the women asking if they'd like to go someplace less laggy.  

On the flip side, I've had lovely conversations with people in system avatars who had some very interesting thoughts in their profile.  Groups weren't all sexual.  A well thought out appearance even if it were an older look.  

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I personally think it looks terrible when someone has a an exaggerated AV. It's their AV though, and they have every right. Everyone has their own reason to be in SL. They pick their AV's, and they pick their activities. What people do inworld isn't necessarily a reflection of their actual RL selves. I would never do most of what I do inworld in RL. Hopefully you don't either.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

Well, I do take into consideration several factors.  Age inworld, groups, PIOF, profile, etc.   This male had all sex groups, picks were for a lot of free sex places that I doubt are even around anymore and no PIOF.  These are generally the ones who TP into an adult club and proceed to IM all the women asking if they'd like to go someplace less laggy.  

On the flip side, I've had lovely conversations with people in system avatars who had some very interesting thoughts in their profile.  Groups weren't all sexual.  A well thought out appearance even if it were an older look.  

Oh I get it, trust me.  As I said I don't think judging based on appearance alone is a good way to get to know people but at the same time it's only natural to laugh at some of the more eye-roll inducing cliches that SL has produced.  Mostly I just wanted to make the joke about his pants being full of hopes and dreams but hopefully if the subject of the photo does happen to one day stumble across this thread he'll see the funny side of all this running commentary on his "package"! :) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, SandorWren said:
25 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I personally think it looks terrible when someone has a an exaggerated AV. It's their AV though, and they have every right. Everyone has their own reason to be in SL. They pick their AV's, and they pick their activities. What people do inworld isn't necessarily a reflection of their actual RL selves. I would never do most of what I do inworld in RL. Hopefully you don't either.

Sure it's their right to present as they wish. But it's also anybody else's right to comment on it.  Some of the commenting I consider trivial and even rude and can't imagine why another would feel the need to comment, but in the case of a 'look' or activity being unbalanced or denoting something unhealthy I can't find much fault with mentioning it, and even understand why it's disturbing and causes many to even make fun of it.

But regarding you hoping I don't do in 1st life what I do in 2nd -- I do everything the same!  Therapy and spiritual groups, Kirtans & full moon dances, creating this and that, relationships with others -- all the same.

4 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

But regarding you hoping I don't do in 1st life what I do in 2nd -- I do everything the same!  Therapy and spiritual groups, Kirtans & full moon dances, creating this and that, relationships with others -- all the same.

You can live your life any way you want. it IS your life. I will have to keep my opinions to myself.

10 minutes ago, SandorWren said:
20 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

You can live your life any way you want. it IS your life. I will have to keep my opinions to myself.

And you can live your life any way you want  :)

Just let me add one thing. I've known people who do nothing in SL but spend an hour or 2 in SL each day engaging in something sexual and I don't necessarily consider this 'not in balance' -- in many cases they're just making up for what they don't have in 1st life.  However I don't want to spend time with them -- we have nothing in common.

I did meet one guy who was a sex addict though and had numerous partners daily, spending nearly all his waking life engaging in sexual activity.

Like with so many things, we need more details to make any kind of judgement as to whether some behavior is unhealthy. And I do make an attempt, if I do know quite a lot about their life, not to judge anything as 'bad' and merely see people as unhealthy and not in balance regarding their life.

I do, however, see these humongous appendages so common in SL as denoting something out of balance in the person, in most cases. Perhaps it's the misperception that bigger is always better? Or that they only want to be seen in sexual terms (that's not healthy, generally, as all people are more than just sexual parts).

So the inconvenient truth: we seldom know the absolute truth about another person..

Edited by Luna Bliss