Preventing TP to G-rated regions

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Perhaps Firestorm is always behind because they want to wait for LL to fix all the bugs in their new shiny before foisting it on their own users.

Nope. Firestorm is always behind because it is the 'LL viewer to which they make some modifications. They can't make their mods to the latest viewer until it appears and they can get the code. After that they need time to add their mods. That's why it's always behind. You actually use the the 'LL viewer with some mods.

The Firestorm people don't make a viewer. They merely modify an existing viewer and stick the Firestorm name on it. Calling it the Firestorm viewer inaccurate. It would be accurate to call it the Firestorm variation.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Nope. Firestorm is always behind because it is the 'LL viewer to which they make some modifications. They can't make their mods to the latest viewer until it appears and they can get the code. After that they need time to add their mods. That's why it's always behind. You actually use the the 'LL viewer with some mods.

The Firestorm people don't make a viewer. They merely modify an existing viewer and stick the Firestorm name on it. Calling it the Firestorm viewer inaccurate. It would be accurate to call it the Firestorm variation.

Its the LAYOUT I prefer. Thats why I use Firestorm with the Phoenix layout.

I bailed on the LL viewer soon after SL 2.0 was released, I believe i went to Emerald.

If LL had an option "click here to use our classic sl 1.23 LAYOUT (not version), maybe I'd use that.

But I still wouldn't. I resented having to upgrade every other week because LL won't let me log in unless I use their absolutely latest version.

Three words come to mind when arguing with you Phil:

wrestle, pig, mud

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
added words, then added more words
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

You must have hidden the Navigation bar at some point...  

23a4e201d8f3c891f86bafb38c126f2c.thumb.png.14f7206996304c4749ff8fa81fca5a2c.png

Screenshot(17).png.54812c9e242837147efed81fb9628ba2.png

Well, lookey here... wadda ya know. Unchecking "Show Navigation and Search Bar" after taking the picture.

I guess maybe its defaulted to not show it, and yes , there is a home button too 😂

navgation.png

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
added stuff

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I bailed on the LL viewer soon after SL 2.0 was released, I believe i went to Emerald.

I think everyone bailed on the 2.0 viewer :)

20 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Perhaps Firestorm is always behind because they want to wait for LL to fix all the bugs in their new shiny before foisting it on their own users.

Don't fall for the tale that TPVs need to spend a lot of time correcting LL's bugs. It's just propaganda put about by one or two who's joy it is to sew negativity irrespective of truth.

ETA:
Incidentally, I'm not against TPVs. I use them quite frequently.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

I think everyone bailed on the 2.0 viewer :)

Don't fall for the tale that TPVs need to spend a lot of time correcting LL's bugs. It's just propaganda put about by one or two who's joy it is to sew negativity irrespective of truth.

ETA:
Incidentally, I'm not against TVs. I use them quite frequently.

I never meant to say TPV's corrected LL bugs, I meant they wait til LL fixes the bugs before adding the feature to their viewer.

*logs in on Singularity to see who is hiding from her this month*

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
aded a line

9 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

I think everyone bailed on the 2.0 viewer

And as usual, what you "think" is completely wrong.

Only Oldbies are addicted to fail viewer 1.23 look-a-likes.

Most people who joined after 2010, will be used to the V2-v^ UI, not the deprecated v1 UI.

11 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Don't fall for the tale that TPVs need to spend a lot of time correcting LL's bugs

Somebody has to, LL seldom do.

12 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

It's just propaganda put about by one or two who's joy it is to sew negativity

Said the guy who claimed vampires were always scarce in SL because almost a decade and a half ago, they didn't go to his furniture store, while those of us who didn't spend a decade standing in one place saw them all over the place.

You're NOT the Grand Expert on SL, and TPV's are not "Fail Viewer with a few mods". If you think that being told that there are valid reasons why 70% of SL WON'T use the fail viewer, to be "negativity" then you've never head of "customer feedback" about substandard products.

17 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Incidentally, I'm not against TVs. I use them quite frequently.

Not "them", "it" speedlight, ideal for standing still, and nee going anywhere.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

And as usual, what you "think" is completely wrong.

Only Oldbies are addicted to fail viewer 1.23 look-a-likes.

Most people who joined after 2010, will be used to the V2-v^ UI, not the deprecated v1 UI.

I joined in March 2010, so got to use 1.23 for a few months.

I dunno, but when they ditched 1.23 for 2.0, I was totally lost. Then I used Emerald and it was like yesss... this I understand.

Even LL realized what a mess 2.0 was by releasing 2.0 lite, so the noobs wouldn't be totally confused.

Yet another LL fail

2 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I joined in March 2010, so got to use 1.23 for a few months.

I dunno, but when they ditched 1.23 for 2.0, I was totally lost. Then I used Emerald and it was like yesss... this I understand.

Even LL realized what a mess 2.0 was by releasing 2.0 lite, so the noobs wouldn't be totally confused.

Yet another LL fail

The V2 viewer was a total fail. On this we do agree :)

• Like 1

It's fun watching 2 people argue who you often disagree with, when they both have good points! 

It's like watching Clash of the Titans! With the cheesy stop-motion animation! (All respect to Ray Harryhausen.)

I honestly don't know enough about viewers to have an informed opinion. I just know that Firestorm is better than the SL viewer.... If anyone cares to educate me on what v1 v2 or how the other TPVs differ than that would be welcome but not required. 

The option to exclude going to General land should be an option though. Some people don't like the idea of being sent to a G info hub after their sim restarts. Typically it routes you to the highest content you can access but it has been known to happen. Sure It's rare, and yeah, 99% of the time just use common sense and dress sensibily but people can still be caught out. 

Nothing wrong with more options, you don't want to use it, then, don't use it. 

4 hours ago, brodiac90 said:

Nothing wrong with more options, you don't want to use it, then, don't use it. 

I’m guessing it’s always a choice which option requests to prioritize and work on and also to build into a viewer, adding in yet another button or menu item. There is not unlimited resources for that kind of viewer work or unlimited space in the IU, the opposite in fact - so I assume the asks need to be of sufficient global importance and then other things are considered as they would useful to a sufficient amount of people by request.

With so many ways to just ‘not go to a region’; ranging from common sense/spatial awareness to taking a moment to check the region rating (my go-to method), to hiring a scripter to cater to particular needs, say if you need a special panic button instead of using the existing ‘HOME’ button or want a special HUD for your convenience to alert you on the region ratings, it wouldn’t be something I’d think of as needing in a viewer update.

Some viewers display the graphics a little differently. 

Some viewers get different FPS so have different ways of achieving that.

Some viewers have add-ons like a built-in AO, or RLVa, etc.

But all the viewers have to deal with the same Linden Lab "server" code.