Anatomy of Trolls and How to Deal with Them

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 126 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:
10 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I only ever see you address the abuser, not how the victim overcomes the historic, present and future abuse.

Maybe we need self defense classes against trolls and griefers? 

I have a good one in SL....right-click, eject.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

You don't Saturday Sale shop much do you. Too wrapped up in that blender!

🎻  😿  

So you have to dress like a *****ty teenager (as an example only) because there are not enough decent clothes for sale in SL?

I'm just making fun of your poor logic here. I don't think I've ever seen a picture of you inworld, but I doubt you look like a *****ty teenager.

2 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:
6 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Why not just . . . don't be an *****?

According to you and the way you see things? Doesn't occur to you we are all different?

I would agree that you are very different, yes.

• Haha 1

Just now, Arielle Popstar said:

According to you and the way you see things? Doesn't occur to you we are all different?

In the sense that there are people who care about others, on the one hand, and assholes on the other?

Oh, definitely.

If I've accidentally hurt someone, and even if I think that they are being a bit unreasonable about feeling "hurt," I will apologize, because it was not my intention to cause hurt. Because I try not to be a sociopath.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Persephone Emerald said:

🎻  😿  

So you have to dress like a *****ty teenager (as an example only) because there are not enough decent clothes for sale in SL?

I'm just making fun of your poor logic here. I don't think I've ever seen a picture of you inworld, but I doubt you look like a *****ty teenager.

My poor logic resulted in how many pages of posts on that topic again? There really is still no real resolution to it and it all comes down to opinion. That's not logic but it is SL, so not surprised.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

If I've accidentally hurt someone, and even if I think that they are being a bit unreasonable about feeling "hurt," I will apologize, because it was not my intention to cause hurt. Because I try not to be a sociopath.

Oh I must have missed that. Maybe I should check my mail?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:
6 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

My poor logic resulted in how many pages of posts on that topic again? There really is still no real resolution to it and it all comes down to opinion. That's not logic but it is SL, so not surprised.

The solution is for you to not dress like a 16-year-old who has no parental supervision. If you practice what you preach about taking responsibility for yourself wouldn't you do that?

• Like 1

Just now, Scylla Rhiadra said:
1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Oh I must have missed that. Maybe I should check my mail?

Arielle, have I hurt your feelings!?!?!?

She is very sad because she can't dress like a minor in SL safely anymore.  I'm creating a prayer ceremony for her this weekend.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

In the sense that there are people who care about others, on the one hand, and assholes on the other?

But what if you're only an ***** to assholes because you care about the non-assholes?

Which category does that fall under?

Asking for a friend.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

She is very sad because she can't dress like a minor in SL safely anymore.  I'm creating a prayer ceremony for her this weekend.

No worries, I just don't log into SL lately. Too much flux while the Lab tries to sort itself out.

Just now, Roxy Couturier said:

But what if you're only an ***** to assholes because you care about the non-assholes?

Which category does that fall under?

Asking for a friend.

Well, serious answer (sort of).

I try not to be an ***** even to assholes, because 1) I don't think it's as effective to respond in that way, and 2) I don't like myself when I sound like an *****.

So, I actually do try not to be too sarcastic or flippant or mean in my replies to people whom I think are jerks.

What is ALSO true is that I'm not always very good at it!

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:
19 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

This takes away the freeeeeeedom to be an asshat....some people appear to not like that!

Sadly, yes, that's sort of what I'm hearing from some people here.

I don't get it myself.

Will it hurt their feelings, though, if I call out their behaviour and label them an ***** for it?

Nah. Who cares! Toughen up, snowflake!

But..but..* blubber * 

..it's YOUR "personal responsibility" to DEAL with it, when I'M an asshat!!!

..* boo-hoo *..

..and NOBODY GOT HURT because I said so!!!

..* BAWLLL *..

IMG_9036.jpeg

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Initially yes, later I realized you are just human after all and just as prone to doing the same things you rail against others for doing. So you came off the pedestal. My apologies for putting you up there in the first place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Zeus took the shape of Hades, to seduce Persephone!

Hmm, I don't know that version of the myth! In the versions I know, it is Hades who r*pes Perseophone (literally: he seizes her forcibly and carries her off to the underworld where she becomes his Queen).

But the case of Cassandra, the prophetess whose ability to see the future is discounted by everyone, and who is dismissed as mentally unstable, would be an example. Another good example might be Eros' treatment of his lover Psyche. Or Jason's betrayal of Medea.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Codex Alpha said:

Not for me, and a mass of people who rely on those definitions, an understanding of vocabulary and ability to comprehend those words so that they can communicate clearly and understand others clearly.

I know we're kind of in a world where "Double Plus Good!" is gaining traction, and we're seeing the results of it today, but I hope you can seriously reconsider this opinion - because if words are not concrete, and they are subjective, and people can just pick the one they like, or just make up their own (It happens!)...

then we're all screwed ashttps://youtube.com/shorts/tBUsVj-pFL0?feature=shared a civilization. Have a good day. I appreciate you!

Just because I wanted to reply with a funny video clip:

https://youtube.com/shorts/tBUsVj-pFL0

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:

So you came off the pedestal.

Thank you, as I definitely do not belong there.

I am, as you correctly discern, very human indeed. But I am also self-aware enough to know that I frequently fail, and I do my best to acknowledge that, and remedy my mistakes.

So, although I'm not sure what you are specifically responding to, please do accept my very genuine apologies if I hurt (rather than merely disagreed with) you.

But yeah, no pedestals please. I get vertigo.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:
17 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Initially yes, later I realized you are just human after all and just as prone to doing the same things you rail against others for doing. So you came off the pedestal. My apologies for putting you up there in the first place.

I frequently see you compare apples to oranges though.

Which is to say, not all the ways we can hurt another are equal, so I have doubts Scylla was doing the exact same thing she rails against others for doing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

I frequently see you compare apples to oranges though.

Which is to say, not all the ways we can hurt another are equal, so I have doubts Scylla was doing the exact same thing she rails against others for doing.

Thanks Luna for this, but I'll have to admit that I can also be a real b*tch when I want to be, or sometimes when I'm not paying attention to my tone (Oooooookay . . .).

I am also a racist, a homophobe, and even have some internalized misogyny. Most of us are guilty to some degree or another of these things, as well as a tendency to just be mean on occasion.

The important thing is that we acknowledge those things in ourselves, recognize that they are wrong, and do our best to overcome their influence on our actions and communications.

And, like anyone else, I've had mixed success doing so. But I do try.

(This actually mirrors a discussion I had with Maddy yesterday. Weird.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I am also a racist, a homophobe, and even have some internalized misogyny. Most of us are guilty to some degree or another of these things, as well as a tendency to just be mean on occasion.

I figured you for the "misandry type"!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 126 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.