Lindens Statements from Governance Meeting

5 hours ago, KathrynLisbeth said:

I haven't seen this mentioned in any of the threads, so..

Problem with having the 'Primary' non-removable modesty layer on an object (box icon in inventory / Mesh Body)

It will eventually Render Fail.    Not derendering.   Just not rendering.   And Usually when in a crowd! 

Or It will Ghost.    Attachment will appear on your screen, but it's not there.   

So it has to be part of the System layer Bake. 

If the system layer fails to render,  then you are just a puff of smoke or an oval.  So then is a 'nothing to see'

Since the modesty layer will be part of the mesh body (rather than another object linked to it) if the modesty layer fails to load it means the body has also failed to load.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

Wouldn't they more likely choose green or yellow rather than pink or blue.  I mean, I have no idea.  I think the idea is...well I won't say because someone told me in another thread not to say anything if it wasn't "nice". :)

It might be helpful to think of nonbinary as an umbrella term. There are very different ways a person could be nonbinary, so color preferences are going to be all over the map. I'm simple. Just give me purple stuffs, cuz that's my favorite color and I don't personally associate any colors with any genders anyway.

Also, pink and blue are only good when blended together in dreamy beachy pastel color stories, thank you for coming to my design TED talk. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pink suits me! It's not a colour I typically wear but my mom picked it out for valentines day. I got her some flowers and then we went to a nice resturant and I got to 'pay' by tapping her credit card. My point being, pink can definitely be a colour for boys! 

53529498993_4c822278a9_k (1).jpg

• Like 5

I'm not sure if the pink and blue commentary is really on topic, but I'll bite.

I don't think I've owned a piece of pink apparel since I've been old enough to pick my own clothing. Pink is lovely on others, male and female, but you won't catch me wearing pink in RL ever. On the very rare occasion you might, just might, see one of my alts wearing a little bit of pink. :D 

• Like 6

Back on topic then! LL has stated that those partaking in the anime community are affected if they're child avatars. I personally have never used an anime avatar or really know much about it. It would be useful if someone from that community could contribute. I'm kind of surprised none have?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, brodiac90 said:

Back on topic then! LL has stated that those partaking in the anime community are affected if they're child avatars. I personally have never used an anime avatar or really know much about it. It would be useful if someone from that community could contribute. I'm kind of surprised none have?

My anime avatar's skin is not TOS compliant because she was created to represent an adult female. I personally don't feel like I look over 18 in this avatar so will not be wearing it to non-PG venues. The creator of this avatar updated the younger version with TOS compliant modesty layers baked into the skin because that version was made to represent a child avatar.

Anime.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, brodiac90 said:

There's been some anime discussion over in the spinoff discussion thread about the child vs. adult photo thread. Hopefully some do chime in here, though. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

It's possible to think about something before, or even instead of, posting something. More people should try it.

Sure, 1 in 3 of my posts never see the light of day. Others are the result of a long hard think or mull over something said which is why I wait to answer some posts.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, brodiac90 said:

My gut reaction when seeing an avatar based on anime physiology is that it's a child; however, knowing that my gut reaction is more based on my own inadequate experience with the genre tells me my gut response could very easily be wrong. So, I try to always second guess myself when evaluating the age of anyone using anime based avatars.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

So lesson is not to use the IM or local for sexy chat or really any chat as it could go to sexy in a sentence from one or the other. Too freaking dangerous if they going to be banning with no warning.

12 hours ago, @brodiac90 said:

Not really, you just don't engage and if anyone talks to your avatar like that then you block / AR them and do everything you can to protect yourself. It's happened twice to me where I've had pedofiles IM my boy avatar and I did just that. LL can check intent pretty easily. 

Except in this particular instance, it was between a couple, presumably partnered, chatting with each other but in separate locations, in IM where both were banned. Not a random hookup with one potentially a pedofile, but a trusted partner. LL is scraping the barrel if they have to monitor the IM's between a couple to find some cause for banning.

I commend you for trying to talk sense to LL but personally feel it is a lost cause. They are too quick to say one thing and do another. That is aside from how many in the Forums here that are looking to AR any potential minor appearing avatars. How many would like to stab you with an AR the moment you turn your back then blame you for not following the new rules?

7 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Except in this particular instance, it was between a couple, presumably partnered, chatting with each other but in separate locations, in IM where both were banned. Not a random hookup with one potentially a pedofile, but a trusted partner. LL is scraping the barrel if they have to monitor the IM's between a couple to find some cause for banning.

I commend you for trying to talk sense to LL but personally feel it is a lost cause. They are too quick to say one thing and do another. That is aside from how many in the Forums here that are looking to AR any potential minor appearing avatars. How many would like to stab you with an AR the moment you turn your back then blame you for not following the new rules?

I don't understand how you can be IMing even someone like your RL partner while using a child avatar.  Doesn't matter who it is, it seems all kinds of wrong to me. They should have known better. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, brodiac90 said:

I don't understand how you can be IMing even someone like your RL partner while using a child avatar.  Doesn't matter who it is, it seems all kinds of wrong to me. They should have known better. 

First off, I don't know if we are talking a RL partner but a virtual one. Second, why is using a child avatar when one has a partner wrong? Seems short-sighted to me. Maybe I am biased because I often wear a younger avatar even when I am with my 15 year partner. I now have to remember the Lab might eavesdropping in on our private conversations? That seems all kinds of wrong to me.

Edited by Arielle Popstar
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

Just now, Arielle Popstar said:

First off, I don't know if we are talking a RL partner but a virtual one. Second, why is using a child avatar when one has a partner wrong? Seems short-sighted to me. Maybe I am biased because I often wear a younger even when I am with my 15 year partner. I now have to remember the Lab might eavesdropping in on our private conversations? That seems all kinds of wrong to me.

Because child avatar - sexting - isn't appropriate? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Arielle Popstar said:

Because there are many other types of texting that do NOT include slexing between my partner and I

I know, but I'm talking about your friends who were banned. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, brodiac90 said:

That's got to be a difficult truth for some people!

• Like 2

Just now, brodiac90 said:

I know, but I'm talking about your friends who were banned. 

If they were monitoring the friends that Madi was talking about, then how is any conversation between partners safe?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I am reminded of a person I knew in grad school a long time ago, a perennially unhappy person who would greet each day with a new tale of woe. A new person joined the department and I said something offhand like, "She seems nice". Vivian's response was, "Yes, but there's evil in everyone. You just have to look hard enough. You'll see."

I suppose there probably are people in SL who are eager to AR potential minor-appearing avs, but I refuse to believe that they are enough of a problem to fret about. I'm probably naive; I think most people don't go around looking for reasons to file ARs.  They save their serious peeves for people who plant trees that lap into their parcels, or who send them tracking attachments. We have better things to do than AR strangers for looking like teenagers.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

If they were monitoring the friends that Madi was talking about, then how is any conversation between partners safe?

Do you think they were really monitoring their IMs at first? More likely someone was uncomfortable with how they were 'partnered,' and then AR'ed them. Oncce that happens LL looks into it and discovers the IMs.... 

The only context partnered should be used in regards to child avatars is like in a classroom, find a partner to work on your project... 

Edited by brodiac90
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

It would be extremely risky to roleplay as a child avatar and interact with someone inworld that you have romantic feelings for because conversations can easily slip into romantic ones without even realizing it, especially if you're spending many hours a day online together.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, brodiac90 said:

Do you think they were really monitoring their IMs at first? More likely someone was uncomfortable with how they were 'partnered,' and then AR'ed them. Oncce that happens LL looks into it and discovers the IMs.... 

Still shows a problem. We're not told "Oh, you were AR'd so we are going to monitor your chat to see if there is any impropriety" Or "You been AR'd for suspected a*gplay, please refrain from that sort of activity as per ToS version blah blah blah. Any suspected or proven infractions will result in a lifetime ban"

This smacks of the Lab intentionally looking for people to ban up to and including entrapment.

• Haha 1