I decided to make my Second Life a tad bit easier. I disabled incoming IMs from "non-friends" for some of my accounts.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 78 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

Now that I think about it, I guess I'll try autoreponse instead. Maybe that will be better.

My problem with autoresponse is that I know a message came...and it keeps calling on me, pulling on me, to see what was said!   Mystery can be like that...for me at least.  It's worse than if I'd just taken a peek at the damn thing..lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

My problem with autoresponse is that I know a message came...and it keeps calling on me, pulling on me, to see what was said!   Mystery can be like that...for me at least.  It's worse than if I'd just taken a peek at the damn thing..lol

Yeah, that's the problem I might have too.

I guess I'll just have to see what works....

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

It's like a previous thread.

"SecondLife is like Star Wars because EWWWWWWW too many filthy Normies from You-Rope!

Witness mah Political Correctness Diversity and Inclusion Virtue Signalling!

Come at me bro!"

Again, you misinterpret my topics. It wasn't about virtue signaling at all, it was an observation that most avatars and characters in both Second Life and Star Wars are human. It had nothing to do with ethnicity, as you seem to imply. Yes, maybe the topic was probably a little lame, but I also wanted discussion of that fact.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

but I also wanted discussion of that fact.

Off the wall suggestion.

You want to know why one sees more Twi'Lek Cantina Dancers than Togruta Jedi?

Why 900 year old little green yoda people from an unknown planet, are seen less often than Rodians?

Go visit a SW Lore Website, and read up on it.

Why so many humans? Because they breed like primates, and then groups of them move, elsewhere, looking for somewhere to live.

You over think things, make inane blog style comments about the non-PC nature of things, and wait for people to tell you how wrong you were.

"I painted my toenails today, it was hard, I now understand how oppressed women are. Witness my empathy signalling!"

Meh.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Off the wall suggestion.

You want to know why one sees more Twi'Lek Cantina Dancers than Togruta Jedi?

Why 900 year old little green yoda people from an unknown planet, are seen less often than Rodians?

Go visit a SW Lore Website, and read up on it.

Why so many humans? Because they breed like primates, and then groups of them move, elsewhere, looking for somewhere to live.

You over think things, make inane blog style comments about the non-PC nature of things, and wait for people to tell you how wrong you were.

"I painted my toenails today, it was hard, I now understand how oppressed women are. Witness my empathy signalling!"

Meh.

The topic was just not about Star Wars. I was also comparing the fact that humans are dominant in both SW and Second Life. Yes, maybe the reasons are trivial, and perhaps you think they are not worthy of discussion, but apparently some others do. And sometimes I'm not wrong and people do agree with what I think.

Let me just leave this point here for you to consider: isn't part of the reason of discussion is to inform and educate? I admit i am still naive but I'm willing to learn and accept why I'm wrong in some cases. Wouldn't that be why I want to have these discussions?

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Could it be 'the women's movement' thought your amazing suggestion was stupid and so ignored it?

Nope - It was not on your agenda to look for a simple solution, because you wanted to talk about how women are abused by men for 10 pages.  Fortunately I was sleeping so I missed it all.  

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

The topic was just not about Star Wars. I was also comparing the fact that humans are dominant in both SW and Second Life. Yes, maybe the reasons are trivial, and perhaps you think they are not worthy of discussion, but apparently some others do. And sometimes I'm not wrong and people do agree with what I think.

Let me just leave this point here for you to consider: isn't part of the reason of discussion is to inform and educate? I admit i am still naive but I'm willing to learn and accept why I'm wrong in some cases. Wouldn't that be why I want to have these discussions?

I have no idea what's going on as I only read your side of it, but for what it's worth, I think your topics are fine, Gopi. Sometimes a bit goofy, but I tend to appreciate that. 😂

Considering you're probably as much of a shapeshifter as I am, you should try out some other avatar types and report your overall findings and adventures, just for funsies. Try out a mermaid/man or somethin', though I can't really direct you to where they hang out. I usually just take mine to the beach for photo shoots. There used to be groups, but I don't know if they're still active (there are a lot of mers on Flickr, though).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:
1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

Could it be 'the women's movement' thought your amazing suggestion was stupid and so ignored it?

Nope - It was not on your agenda to look for a simple solution, because you wanted to talk about how women are abused by men for 10 pages.  Fortunately I was sleeping so I missed it all.  

This is no simple solution...there's only mansplaining to tell us there is.  Women complain because men going after them excessively in SL bothers them.   So sorry!!!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

58 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Will that "hide" the messages from you? I hope so! (It's been awhile since I tried autoresponse.)

You still see the first message if you look.  The sender sees your auto response text when they send the message. If they keep sending another text, they see it again.  They eventually get the idea you don't want to be disturbed.  I don't get sexy IM's anymore, they know I am taken.  I usually answer my autoresponse messages when I am free.  That's part of running a business.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I have no idea what's going on as I only read your side of it, but for what it's worth, I think your topics are fine, Gopi. Sometimes a bit goofy, but I tend to appreciate that. 😂

Considering you're probably as much of a shapeshifter as I am, you should try out some other avatar types and report your overall findings and adventures, just for funsies. Try out a mermaid/man or somethin', though I can't really direct you to where they hang out. I usually just take mine to the beach for photo shoots. There used to be groups, but I don't know if they're still active (there are a lot of mers on Flickr, though).

Ah, so you have Zalificent blocked? Well, that explains a few things.

I will try your mermaid suggestion, though. I do have an account ready that's already similar to a mermaid....just have to add a mermaid tail to her...

• Like 2

Just now, Gopi Passiflora said:

Ah, so you have Zalificent blocked? Well, that explains a few things.

No, I don't block anyone. I'm just a selective reader.

I will try your mermaid suggestion, though. I do have an account ready that's already similar to a mermaid....just have to add a mermaid tail to her...

Oooo tail shoppinnnnnnng! Make a thread over in Your Avatar if you ever want/need help with avatar styling. We need more non-human threads in that section. 😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I agree, @Gopi Passiflora

Some people will give you a hard time no matter what topic you choose.  Creating a topic that "gets posts" and is also "not too contentious" is a delicate balance, an "art form", and sometimes just plain impossible.  You can't make everyone happy.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I agree, @Gopi Passiflora

Some people will give you a hard time no matter what topic you choose.  Creating a topic that "gets posts" and is also "not too contentious" is a delicate balance, an "art form", and sometimes just plain impossible.  You can't make everyone happy.  

Let's be real. Topics/threads like these are 100% intended to get people riled up, even before you include our resident feminists that we know will chime in, which will stir things up even more even under the best of conditions.

It's totally trolling for reactions, which is why I feel no remorse when I get in on it. Difference is, at least I admit what I'm doing.

Edited by Paul Hexem
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

Let's be real. Topics/threads like these are 100% intended to get people riled up

Shouldn't Gopi be the one to tell us what he intended with this thread?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Luna Bliss said:

Shouldn't Gopi be the one to tell us what he intended with this thread?

No, you're right. Absolutely.

And I can tell you I intend for all my posts to do nothing more than inspire confidence in all the cats that read them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

Let's be real. Topics/threads like these are 100% intended to get people riled up, even before you include our resident feminists that we know will chime in, which will stir things up even more even under the best of conditions.

It's totally trolling for reactions, which is why I feel no remorse when I get in on it. Difference is, at least I admit what I'm doing.

Perhaps, but I also wanted a discussion of my ideas. You call it trolling for reactions all you want, but I also wanted some ideas of what people think as well.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

Personally, I don't think that ALL of Gopi's posts are intended to cause angst and friction.

The fact that Gopi "owns up to" getting better at it says something, at least to me.

And then again: Who are you, and who am I, to judge what Gopi's motives are?  I suspect you create posts just for "discussion's sake" too.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

Perhaps, but I also wanted a discussion of my ideas. You call it trolling for reactions all you want, but I also wanted some ideas of what people think as well.

Mix some honest discussion in for good times, yeah. I do that too! But you're lying- even if it's only to yourself- if you try to tell us you didn't think a "I have to block IMs because of men" wouldn't bring out the regulars to argue with each other for 10 pages.

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I suspect you create posts just for "discussion's sake" too.  

I totally do. Like I said, difference is, I admit it up front. I know exactly what's going to happen. So does just about everyone that replies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Paul Hexem said:

Mix some honest discussion in for good times, yeah. I do that too! But you're lying- even if it's only to yourself- if you try to tell us you didn't think a "I have to block IMs because of men" wouldn't bring out the regulars to argue with each other for 10 pages.

I totally do. Like I said, difference is, I admit it up front. I know exactly what's going to happen. So does just about everyone that replies.

Fine, I'll concede that point. But isn't discussion nice regardless of its nature? Otherwise, what would be the point of this forum?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Paul Hexem said:

I admit it up front. I know exactly what's going to happen. So does just about everyone that replies.

I don't need to admit it, in general my topic is fairly clear and I leave it up to everyone whether they want to take it seriously or not.  Fans like it, Foes trash it.  Never a dull moment. Wheeee!!!

WEEEEEE!!!!! | I love to laugh, Friday humor, Bones funny

Fine, I'll concede that point. But isn't discussion nice regardless of its nature? Otherwise, what would be the point of this forum?

I will give you a lot of credit.  Once your threads go off the rails (not your fault, the "usual suspects"), it inspires me to create a post. GOOD JOB!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

Absolutely.

And to be fair, I wasn't calling you out as much as I was actually giving @Love Zhaoying a hard time for that bit about posts like these trying to be "not too contentious".

We'll call it a... silly assertion of the situation.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 78 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.