I decided to make my Second Life a tad bit easier. I disabled incoming IMs from "non-friends" for some of my accounts.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 75 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:
6 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

Well, to be fair, generally you won't get wet from the rain in the kitchen either.

/me wipes the spray of coffee off her keyboard 

Bonus: In the kitchen, you don't have to wear rubbers to keep your feet dry. Not sure why Paul wants to keep women in the kitchen, though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Yes, but the men you cite here were mostly murdered by other men...not women.  So my point still stands -- men are more aggressive.

You are victim blaming, again. SO much misandry. 

So disappointed..

12 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Uhhh...we've talked about this before.

I challenge you to dress up as a woman and roam around the grid like our OP did.  You'd develop some empathy FAST.

I like to have my empathy with a bit of discourse and healthy conversation, and just a dash of trolling- someone always takes the bait. Usually you.

11 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

IKR....if only women would cover up their legs like they did in Victorian times.

You can suggest it to them, but somehow I don't think that'd help in SL. See the posts about centaurs and whatnot.

7 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Bonus: In the kitchen, you don't have to wear rubbers to keep your feet dry. Not sure why Paul wants to keep women in the kitchen, though.

Hey, I didn't bring up the kitchen at all. I only agreed that it's usually a good place to stay dry if it's raining outside.

Edited by Paul Hexem
  • Like 5

19 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

Empowering people to help themselves, or "blaming the victim" should be done way, way more often. It's not done enough. It's no different than saying you'll get less wet in the rain if you bring an umbrella.

So you're saying that men, much like the weather, have no volition, agency, or responsibility for their behavior.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:
13 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Uhhh...we've talked about this before.

I challenge you to dress up as a woman and roam around the grid like our OP did.  You'd develop some empathy FAST.

I like to have my empathy with a bit of discourse and healthy conversation, and just a dash of trolling- someone always takes the bait. Usually you.

Why do you like to 'joke' about this so much?

• Like 1

I'm not even sure what's being argued in here anymore. *side eyes my coffee* 

Are we saying women don't receive lots of IMs from men or somethin'? We absolutely do (generally speaking). That's not even a new thing. It's been that way since I first skipped into SL in 2005.

Hell, that's not even limited to SL. Go play any multiplayer game with a cute female character and see what happens.

For the record, men get hit on a lot, too, but that tends to be a bit different and usually a bit more targeted. We get offered gold and mounts and item shop junk for no good reason, lol.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

The clue is in the name.

Squid Launcher - A device that launches squid as projectiles, do try and keep up.

Ah, literal squids.  I somehow thought you meant something RL-related.

17 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Are we saying women don't receive lots of IMs from men or somethin'? We absolutely do (generally speaking). That's not even a new thing. It's been that way since I first skipped into SL in 2005.

Hell, that's not even limited to SL. Go play any multiplayer game with a cute female character and see what happens.

For the record, men get hit on a lot, too, but that tends to be a bit different and usually a bit more targeted. We get offered gold and mounts and item shop junk for no good reason, lol.

Yeah a lot of it really is just being a woman on the internet. But it's funny how just pointing this out—without even saying that something in particular needs to be done about it—gets a bunch of defensive replies.

Edited by Ezbeharra
punctuation for easier parsing
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ezbeharra said:

Yeah a lot of it really is just being a woman on the internet. But it's funny how just pointing this out without even saying that something in particular needs to be done about it gets a bunch of defensive replies.

Reality is too much to cope with, for some people.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ezbeharra said:

Yeah a lot of it really is just being a woman on the internet. But it's funny how just pointing this out without even saying that something in particular needs to be done about it gets a bunch of defensive replies.

Yup. Allll the way back to AOL and IRC a/s/l days. Nuffin new, nuffin new.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ezbeharra said:

So you're saying that men, much like the weather, have no volition, agency, or responsibility for their behavior.

Or I'm saying that if there are options for keeping annoying things off of you, be it rain, snow, or freebie dudes in SL, it might be helpful to some people if we discuss them. I suppose it depends on how you read it. 

Just now, Luna Bliss said:

Maybe it's a harmless way to play devil's advocate and give people different perspectives. Maybe it's like a third grader putting gum in a girl's hair because he likes her. Maybe I just like getting a reaction. Maybe a little of all of the above.

2 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

It's working!!

That's how you know it's one of the fun threads destined for locking.

10 minutes ago, Ezbeharra said:

Yep, the OP didn't even have a "what do you think?" etc. in the original post. Just a statement.

Yet, here we are! Last train to crazytown!

8 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

Maybe it's like a third grader putting gum in a girl's hair because he likes her

So, basically childish misogyny due to bad upbringing and a lack of well deserved smacks upside the head for being an annoying little brat during their formative years.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Yep, the OP didn't even have a "what do you think?" etc. in the original post. Just a statement.

Yet, here we are! Last train to crazytown!

Posting something like "I disabled incoming IMs because of men" on discussion forums, you know is gonna get a hell of a discussion.

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

I DID wish for "more drama" recently.

So the drama your fault? That makes sense, you are a man after all.

• Like 1

Just now, Paul Hexem said:
2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I DID wish for "more drama" recently.

So the drama your fault? That makes sense, you are a man after all.

is joke?

13 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:
25 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Maybe it's like a third grader putting gum in a girl's hair because he likes her.

Does this mean you like me?

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

This blames the victim though -- you're seeing it from the perspective of an individual and what they need to do to prevent it. People have differing experiences based on random chance though (based on where they happen to be at any given time), and usually it has nothing to do with the behavior/dress of an individual.

No, it infers why do some people grow up and others don't. Some learn to deal with life on life's terms and others choose to remain a snowflake, ready to melt at the slightest hint of a challenge.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 75 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.