Can you grow and sell cannabis on Moderate land?

VexxMortem

There are listings for DFS and MyStory cannabis items on the Marketplace that are not listed as Adult, and I don't think many in those communities grow their cannabis on Adult land but just wanted to make sure.

A region must be designated Adult if it hosts, advertises, or publicly promotes:

Representations of intensely violent acts, for example depicting death, torture, dismemberment or other severe bodily harm, whether or not photo-realistic (meaning that images either are or cannot be distinguished from a photograph).

Photo-realistic nudity.

Expressly sexually themed content, spaces or activities, whether or not photo-realistic. We broadly define what is "sexually themed" to include any sexually oriented activities and conduct.

Regarding Moderate...

Second Life's Moderate designation accommodates most of the non-adult activities common in Second Life. Dance clubs, bars, stores and malls, galleries, music venues, beaches, parks, and other spaces for socializing, creating, and learning all support a Moderate designation so long as they do not host publicly promoted adult activities or content and do not use adult search tags.

I'd say you'd probably be fine on Moderate land.   You can even have adult furniture and conduct adult activities on Moderate land behind closed doors.   I've wandered around smoking a blunt in Moderate areas.  😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I think Rowan has provided the best answer, but I just want to add that growing and selling cannabis is legal in California, the state where Linden Lab is based, so I doubt the officers would view this activity as something that would have to be on an Adult region. I've seen other simulated drug use on Moderate land as well. ( The peyote trip at Tablau is cool.)

• Like 3

I play it safe with my cannabis PlantPets, but there's no reason to think that means needing adult land. Sex beds are fine on moderate, as long as it's not in public. Sex beds could be boxed up and sold on moderate land, as long as there are no pictures of it in use. So it isn't going to be harsher than that for cannabis. My plants aren't in the public area. I only sell the cannabis seeds at my moderate shop (not the general one). There are no pictures of people using cannabis in any way. It's just plant pictures. That means whether it's counted as adult or not, it doesn't matter, because that follows the rules anyway. (Noting what the rules actually state is that stuff that "depicts illicit drug use" is adult, but it's unclear from that if the plant counts or where it has to be illegal to count.)

The marketplace has different rules. They're often stricter, because it's a public website. If I sold seeds there, I'd label them as adult.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I think Rowan has provided the best answer, but I just want to add that growing and selling cannabis is legal in California, the state where Linden Lab is based, so I doubt the officers would view this activity as something that would have to be on an Adult region. I've seen other simulated drug use on Moderate land as well. ( The peyote trip at Tablau is cool.)

Is what is legal in SL based on California law? I'm just curious since even though it's legal in California it's illegal on a federal level.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Pssst.."cannabis" in SL isn't real. Its depiction doesn't break any federal laws.

LOL, well she brought up it being legal in the state that SL has it's headquarters so I wondered.  Sex isn't real either in SL but some can break laws. 

17 minutes ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

Is what is legal in SL based on California law? I'm just curious since even though it's legal in California it's illegal on a federal level.

While it might be against the rules of a school or company to wear a T-shirt depicting cannabis, a cartoon depiction of cannabis is not illegal in the US.

10 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Pssst.."cannabis" in SL isn't real. Its depiction doesn't break any federal laws.

^ This ^

I mentioned that it's legal in California because it then does not fall into the definition of an "illicit" drug. It's legal for at least medicinal use in many US states. Alcohol is illegal in some countries, but it's legal in the US, so it's not an "Illicit" drug in SL either.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
To add