WHY Official Browser doesnt have derendering option?

Derendering option is very needed. Full bright items on next parcel - neighbour logs in once a month, doesnt speak english and doesnt answer to IM/notecards...this is one offten happening thing. Or landlord puts up full bright yellow parcel border liners bc wants sell land. Land sells week, two weeks, month...half year. All that time bright yellow ugliness ruins SL expierence for whole region.

You can tell now - report. I have done that before...outcome....after long time some items vanish, some doesnt, some landlords take parcel border up and after week put it back. 

IF I could derender in official browser...I wouldnt need report, somebody doesnt need come to solve issue...win-win situation all sides happy.

So how FS developers managed put derendering in and official browser ones doesnt and why? 

SL20 image 00001_071.png

Edited by Vihmakass
  • Like 1

Can you really report people for using fullbright? it doesn't seem like abuse. It may be offensive to the eyes but I'm not sure it qualifies!

I would agree that it is a feature official needs though (along with many other Firestorm features) but clearly LL don't. You could try to raise a feature request on their new platform though: https://feedback.secondlife.com/

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

Can you really report people for using fullbright? it doesn't seem like abuse. It may be offensive to the eyes but I'm not sure it qualifies!

I would agree that it is a feature official needs though (along with many other Firestorm features) but clearly LL don't. You could try to raise a feature request on their new platform though: https://feedback.secondlife.com/

Can you look at picture on mine post and say..oh that is nothing? It goes thru all what at least a bit has alpha, it is visible from everywhere and ruins ANY snapshot what you want take..I can list more reasons. To many this is reason to give up mainland and even Belli home. So if it bothers many people...why not fix it in one or other way? Is it better to let people leave their parcels and never get new land bc they doesnt feel secure?

Ther is only few FS features what official browser really needs. What is meaning to make official browser updates IF people leave it to use FS bc of few tiny things?

Edited by Vihmakass

1 hour ago, Vihmakass said:

So how FS developers managed put derendering in and official browser ones doesnt and why? 

I have two theories why the Official viewer never added the "de-render" option that the Firestorm viewer has:

1. Checking a list of items to "not draw" would add a "measurable" amount of processing to the viewer (1. Check the list, 2. Skip object if it's on the list).  The official SL viewer team possibly decided the overhead of this extra check could outweigh the benefit.

2. This feature (de-rendering object you do not like) potentially ignores that some objects are against TOS and/or covenants (should be reported instead of de-rendered), are "official" objects that are intended to be "seen", etc.  

These are only my personal theories.

• Like 1

1. An eyesore, yes. Reportable as actual abuse? ... No, not without proving it is being done deliberately to get a rise out of you, to harass you or some other ToS Violation
  2. Viewer - not browser. You're using a 'browser' to view this web page (and still are if using the one built into the viewer or a Media On A Prim type)
  3. The Official Linden Lab Viewer is intended to be a basic, functional Viewer with no added bells and whistles. You want to derender something? Use a TPV.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

The Official Linden Lab Viewer is intended to be a basic, functional Viewer with no added bells and whistles.

In all fairness, it is my understanding that on occasion, LL adds features to the Official Viewer that were originally introduced in TPV's.  (I just cannot name any.)  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

In all fairness, it is my understanding that on occasion, LL adds features to the Official Viewer that were originally introduced in TPV's.  (I just cannot name any.)  

Only the more basic features however.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

An eyesore, yes. Reportable as actual abuse? ... No

It's a "For sale" sign, rules on those and other advertising are clear, NOT over 8 m tall, and I suspect that one is, NOT glowing in the dark, NOT using particles, and NOT rotating.

So Abuse Report it, and let Governance come and measure it's height, 8m+, glow in the dark, advert, boom, gone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

It's a "For sale" sign, rules on those and other advertising are clear, NOT over 8 m tall, and I suspect that one is, NOT glowing in the dark, NOT using particles, and NOT rotating.

So Abuse Report it, and let Governance come and measure it's height, 8m+, glow in the dark, advert, boom, gone.

That stuff on picture got reported....owner came took down, put up house in constant rezz....waited a week and put all yellow glory back. I think it depends from landlord....they dont care/fear any report.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Solar Legion said:
  1. The Official Linden Lab Viewer is intended to be a basic, functional Viewer with no added bells and whistles. You want to derender something? Use a TPV.

(erm....numertion)

If it is so,then what is meaning of updates bc people are on FS like 80% bc official one doesnt meet needs.I think ( and I am one stupid cat) then all updates are whistles and bells, just work for FS needs and all is solved.

You see... it is bit ...weird.

P.S. By time meaning and content of basic has changed...what was whistles and bells isnt that now.

Edited by Vihmakass

Point blank for you: Anything outside of the most absolute basic functions needed to use Second Life is the purview of TPVs.

So no, over time the meaning of 'basic' has not changed. You do not require derendering to use Second Life - it is a nice little addition.

Don't want a basic feature set, use a TPV. That is why they exist.

• Like 1

Another way of looking at it is, SL adds new "official features", and TPV's eventually add those too.

New rendering feature (like PBR) - goes to the official viewer first.

New LSL coding feature - goes to the official viewer first.

Whether those are "basic" or not, depends on how one defines "basic".

It's not meant to go the other direction. (TPV feature => becomes an Official viewer feature) 🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Solar Legion said:

Point blank for you: Anything outside of the most absolute basic functions needed to use Second Life is the purview of TPVs.

So no, over time the meaning of 'basic' has not changed. You do not require derendering to use Second Life - it is a nice little addition.

Don't want a basic feature set, use a TPV. That is why they exist.

Why I use official viewer has two resons:

- bc I need use it for side work in SL

- bc FS runs in mine comp like crap: cold colors, lot of lagg even with mid setings, weird stuff on building. In official I can use ultra with LOD6....no lagg. That is personal issue.

Still mine issues aside: if all members use TPV.... why have official one what is intentionally kept basic / not true bc last few years they have added lot new features from what part are "whistles and bells". So why not add this one what would make SL life lot nicer to official viewer users.....od FS fears that people come back to "basics" ? :D :D :D

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

That's nice.

It also does not change reality.

Derendering is not considered by Linden Lab to be a basic function. Want to change that? File a feature request and see where it goes.

LOD 6? Well there's one problem right there ...

You need to use a bare bones, basic Viewer for side work? Really?

As for the rest ... yes that is indeed a "personal issue".

Now then if you want an argument of some sort - seek one out with someone else - preferably someone who actually wants to waste their time over this.

In the meantime, the real world will just keep on going.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Solar Legion said:

Derendering is not considered by Linden Lab to be a basic function. Want to change that? File a feature request and see where it goes.

I imagine that many people have submitted that feature request in the past!

5 hours ago, Vihmakass said:

LOD6.

LOD of 6???????????????

I think you need to learn what LOD is and how it works.

And quite frankly, anything that requires a LOD setting over 3 in order to render correctly is nothing but pure garbage that needs sent to the Gehenna and the creator banned to the corn field until they learn how to properly create mesh objects.

• Like 1