"Coming soon: 15% reduction to mesh download impact" question

Hymn Celestia

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 83 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Greetings! Hopefully this is yields some quick yesses or nos without too much trouble.

From the Featured News of March 13, there was a headline in the Creator segment about a 15% reduction to mesh download impact, which states, "Download weight is one parameter used as part of calculating an object’s Land Impact (LI).  We will be reducing this by 15%, decreasing the land impact of many mesh assets." 

Are we there now?  Has the land impact of many mesh assets now been decreased?   Is that future here now finally?  :)

Edited by Lyric Demina
gah spells.
  • Like 5

20 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

That update is currently on RC channels (so parts of main grid), it will probably go grid-wide next week.

That explains a lot about what I'm experiencing in some regions and not in others.  Thank you Wulfie!  Useful info.

Nice - I think it just went live here after the region restart yesterday.

Seems I've saved about 200LI; built has gone from 2300 to 2100 (about; I forgot to note the exact count before the change). That's a 9%-ish saving, but I had already heavily optimised by linking things to minimise total LI.

Given that I was 100 away from my limit, that's pretty nice! Thank you LL.

• Like 2

I don't understand the example they gave in the announcement - what does the 35.5 number mean? The first screen shows 35 so isn't that a 0.5 INCREASE?

They didn't say the lights/mirror upgrades will not push the LIs back up and over.

I hope there will be a "don't render" option for the new stuff  if it is too much for lower end cards or when you just want to move and get the general outline.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mari Moonbeam said:

I hope there will be a "don't render" option for the new stuff  if it is too much for lower end cards or when you just want to move and get the general outline.

Of course you'll be able to disable those things. Viewer devs are very conscious of performance.

I don't understand the example they gave in the announcement - what does the 35.5 number mean? The first screen shows 35 so isn't that a 0.5 INCREASE?

The screenshot simply shows how to check an object's Land Impact. The "30.5" number isn't important -- what's important is that only objects whose Download weight is the highest have been affected by the 15% reduction.

You can learn more about how land impact works here: https://community.secondlife.com/knowledgebase/english/calculating-land-impact-r273/

They didn't say the lights/mirror upgrades will not push the LIs back up and over.

The more lights and mirrors you add, the more LI you need, same as anything else.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

As it has been said some objects will stay the same. One land impact items will all still be one land impact (however some may have lower download weights so that you could NOW link two and still be under the 1.5 it takes to boost the li to two.

Some larger items (especially houses that are made in many pieces (windows - doors, lighting and separate walls for example) may not change at all since ONE of the "costs" of land impact is how many pieces are in a build.    Typical houses and complex furniture (or let's be honest even heavy mesh) will be the biggest beneficiary of this.  I got about 140 li reduced on my 2048 store plot. I am guessing most of that is in the "roleplay" big builds area since a lot of my things were already low LI.   Off to check that.

Probably important to emphasize that not all creators will be changing their Marketplace numbers OR redoing all the vendor photos if those had LI listed (happily mine are completely plain now but for logo --- woot). SO when you are buying it will be even more important to make sure LI is correct if you care. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/30/2024 at 10:57 AM, Lyric Demina said:

Greetings! Hopefully this is yields some quick yesses or nos without too much trouble.

I always make it a point to stay well below the limit, so it doesn't really impact me.  I'll typically stick to around half of my allowance, the remaining half are available when I want to goof around in my skybox while building things.   I am curious how much lag this will cause though, and am glad that I recently purchased a new computer if it makes a significant difference.  I wasn't here when they upped the allowance before, and am unsure if that had much of an impact on people.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

I always make it a point to stay well below the limit, so it doesn't really impact me.  I'll typically stick to around half of my allowance, the remaining half are available when I want to goof around in my skybox while building things.   I am curious how much lag this will cause though, and am glad that I recently purchased a new computer if it makes a significant difference.  I wasn't here when they upped the allowance before, and am unsure if that had much of an impact on people.

I got about 30 extra on my linden home. Hard for me to stay below my prim allowance in a linden home. :)

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Porky Gorky said:

Gosh, imagine being a mesh content creator who has to check all their items to see if the Li has changed and then update all their marketing and listings to reflect the new Li.

They don't have to change their ads if they don't want, but it would probably be in their interest to do so.

It's kind of like saying, "Now with fewer calories,!"

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

They don't have to change their ads if they don't want, but it would probably be in their interest to do so.

Not sure who would complain if not updated. It's only really in the creators advantage.

Imagine someone saying "I bought this thingamajig and it has less LI than the ad states! I want a refund!!!!"

Yes a joke but you get the gist. LOL

Edited by Kathlen Onyx
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Porky Gorky said:

Gosh, imagine being a mesh content creator who has to check all their items to see if the Li has changed and then update all their marketing and listings to reflect the new Li.

That was MY day.  I did some and put notes on the Marketplace that these were the NEW li numbers. Some things were close and folks probably wouldn't care. Lots of things were very low anyway.   But unfortunately while I THOUGHT I wouldn't have too many vendor pictures to change I did have quite a few older ones.  I just "fudged" out the old number and put in the new and uploaded.  I found one landmark error and one item that somehow was no longer on the Marketplace and fixed that.

I hope to finish tomorrow.  For the folks that have all matching vendor photos with LI numbers it will be a nightmare OR they can just put a note saying "these are the old numbers --- new LI is less".  I can understand that also LOL.  I do have more "prims" to use now so that's a plus.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Yeah I guess that’s true. It would bother my slightly autistic brain though, I would have to change everything.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 83 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.