Decent Male Heads

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 96 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have to assume you meant to say most of the free male heads are less than ideal, since Lelutka and the other major mesh heads fit fine with the major mesh bodies. Perhaps the problem isn't with the heads, but with the Legacy Classic (TMP) mesh body? 

One possible solution is to direct newbies who want a free or inexpensive mesh body and head to the Altamura free bodies or the almost free DNA male mesh bodies. I used to suggest Altamura, but after trying the DNA bodies on my male alt, I find these superior. Both bodies have the head included as part of the body. The DNA bodies are also BOM compatible, offer many choices for heads and skins, and fit Signature Gianni sized mesh clothing reasonably well with alpha layers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've used Lelutka, Logo, Catwa, and Akeruka gift heads on the male Meshbody Classic without issue. I have yet to find a decent male head that is permanently free, so those who can't or won't spend out on them should probably join the groups and make do with Altamura or Senra until the next giveaway.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Charlemagne Allen said:

Classic mesh body

Are you talking about the free Meshbody Classic or the default mesh body or any of the ones in the Library section?   Older mesh heads USED to have an option for fitting to standard SL bodies.  There shouldn't be a problem if you're talking about an actual Free Meshbody Classic.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Are you talking about the free Meshbody Classic or the default mesh body or any of the ones in the Library section?   Older mesh heads USED to have an option for fitting to standard SL bodies.  There shouldn't be a problem if you're talking about an actual Free Meshbody Classic.

The Mesh Body Classic. I saw massive neck seams with certain heads, including the Vista one.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I have to assume you meant to say most of the free male heads are less than ideal, since Lelutka and the other major mesh heads fit fine with the major mesh bodies. Perhaps the problem isn't with the heads, but with the Legacy Classic (TMP) mesh body? 

One possible solution is to direct newbies who want a free or inexpensive mesh body and head to the Altamura free bodies or the almost free DNA male mesh bodies. I used to suggest Altamura, but after trying the DNA bodies on my male alt, I find these superior. Both bodies have the head included as part of the body. The DNA bodies are also BOM compatible, offer many choices for heads and skins, and fit Signature Gianni sized mesh clothing reasonably well with alpha layers.

Apologies. Yes, free heads.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Charlemagne Allen said:

The Mesh Body Classic. I saw massive neck seams with certain heads, including the Vista one.

Vista is a pretty old mesh head.  I've rarely, if ever, heard anyone discussing it.  Unless they've recently updated them, they're not one I'd recommend.  

• Like 4

Meshbody classic is updated to the Universal neck. It has the same neck as the 5500L Legacy meshbody.The problem here would be that free heads you try to wear with it do not use the Universal neck.

It is only free mesh heads of good quality around Christmas, when both LOGO and Lelutka gave away a free male head of top quality.

I suspect that free heads you find now are either very old, from before Universal Neck became the standard,  or uploaded from some other game and not optimized for SL mesh bodies.

I second the DNA avatars already mentioned. I think they cost 2L, one linden for the avatar and one linden for a skin for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lelukta has free heads for the 12 Days of Christmas event in December. Akeruka has $L 1 group gift heads in June and December. Logo had free heads this last end of December into January I think, but we don't know if they'll do such a give away again. Genus has a free female group gift head, but their male heads are not free.

LucyBody has a couple of relatively inexpensive female heads. Other mesh head makers (Catwa?) could have free or promotional heads in the future, but we can't predict this now. LAQ is about to release EvoX heads, so they could have  promotional prices, but their previous heads were all female. The Fabulously Free and SL Frees and Offers groups are good for alerting us of such promotions.

4 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I second the DNA avatars already mentioned. I think they cost 2L, one linden for the avatar and one linden for a skin for it.

Since I'm striking out here in trying to find them on my own, I'll ask: Where does one get the DNA mesh? Now that I'm back in SL, I'm toying with bringing some of my old alts back — but with no interest in financially investing much (or anything) in them. 🤪

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Meshbody classic is updated to the Universal neck. It has the same neck as the 5500L Legacy meshbody.The problem here would be that free heads you try to wear with it do not use the Universal neck.

It is only free mesh heads of good quality around Christmas, when both LOGO and Lelutka gave away a free male head of top quality.

I suspect that free heads you find now are either very old, from before Universal Neck became the standard,  or uploaded from some other game and not optimized for SL mesh bodies.

The DNA avatars, are they on the marketplace and/or inworld? I have not been able to find them. 
Thanks!

• Like 1

On 1/8/2024 at 12:47 AM, Marianne Little said:

I have another almost free mesh body for men to show you, it is a freebie from DNA, located in the Signature region: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Signature/128/128/129

mensmesh_003.thumb.png.672fbdcf7b90aafa7f38de97ebacf72d.png

It is made to fit more mesh clothing. Signature Gianni sizes fits it reasonably well.

Pick one of these bodies for 1 L, and a skin for 1 L.

mensmesh_001.thumb.png.87a00bfac5f81519f099348105df9667.png

The body comes with a head. You can not take it off. All the newer skins is made with the EvoX template. They do not fit this head. All you wear from the neck and up, skin, hairbases and beards, and other layers like additional eyebrows, must be the older SL UV or classic template.

It is easier to wear things like shorts on this body with an additional alpha layer. But finding freebies for men is hard, no matter what body you can have. You have better luck with new freebies, because they usually include a Signature Gianni size. And since it is so few male freebies, you have to read FabFree and hope it is an event or a new freebie where it is no group cost.

The shorts here is not a freebie, but the Signature size very good. It can be a minimal, very minimal clip at the waist band, when you move.

mensmesh_004.png.7d5c01c47c19df56553efc92f481e4a6.png

@Wesley Spengler , @FelicityPage and @Charlemagne Allen

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Marianne Little said:

Thank you for posting replies to questions asked to me, I have been distracted with RL a couple days. 😃

RL... What's that again? 🤪

Kidding aside, appreciate the commentary and info from everyone. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 96 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.