Abandoned Land keeps kicking me.

Conall McGinnis

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 155 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

When I attempt to sail across it

I get this message;

Message from Second Life:
Your object 'MLCC Loonetta 31' has been returned to your inventory Lost and Found folder by Governor Linden from parcel '2023-11-18 : Abandoned Land' at Hellish 130, 204.

No, I did not stop sailing it while I was on that parcel. I was trying to find a way to open water from my parcel and It isn't easy. Between the empty parcels set to group only, the mouth breathing morons with the insecurity orbs set to 2 seconds. it's hard going and it shouldn't be.

J Conall McGinnis

Weird.png

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Conall McGinnis said:

I get this message;

Your object 'MLCC Loonetta 31' has been returned to your inventory Lost and Found folder by Governor Linden from parcel '2023-11-18 : Abandoned Land' at Hellish 130, 204.

Parcel is set to "No Object Entry" by the sound of it, If it's water front LL will auction it soon or sell it to a support ticket claimer. Then you can declare war on the new owner for not opening a public water park.

I did not stop sailing it while I was on that parcel. I was trying to find a way to open water from my parcel and It isn't easy

One should ALWAYS check that a parcel with "water" is in fact actual protected waterfront, and NOT surrounded by other peoples parcels, though which one will have to TRESPASS to reach the protected water.

Between the empty parcels set to group only, the mouth breathing morons with the insecurity orbs set to 2 seconds.

waterhead imbeciles with the carelessly set orbs

My parcel has group only banlines because LL has an official policy that requires it to. And my orb is set to ZERO seconds because of people who make comments like yours. It wasn't done carelessly. It's deliberate.

it's hard going and it shouldn't be.

The expression is "making a rod for your own back", if you buy a parcel surrounded by other peoples, that does NOT have direct access to protected water, and then mouth off about how the neighbours are morons and imbeciles, because they like their privately owned land to be somewhat private, then you will have a hard time getting to protected water by trespassing on land owned by people YOU made enemies of.

Edited by Zalificent Corvinus
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Conall McGinnis said:

Tech question.

Was this JUST AFTER a region crossing. You are un-sat during region crossings, and then RE-SAT, on the other side automatically by the crossing process.

IF you try sailing across a region boundary into a parcel set to NO Object Entry, during at un-sat/re-sat delay, your vehicle sails merrily on it's way without you, and if it encounters NOE set parcels BEFORE you get resat, boom, it's auto returned.

Edited by Zalificent Corvinus
  • Like 1

Abandoned land is supposed to return your vehicles & anything else you manage to interject into the land and leave there. That might be why its not called "free parking" or "public junkyard".

There's a waterfront next to one of mine owned by some lady who left SL but never noticed she's still paying/had lifetime premium (I know bc I tried to get the government to repo & resell) and this parcel was left with no "object return" and its now 100% full of boats and airplanes that crashed into it coming out of the protected ocean, needlessly running scripts & making lag for no reason, probably to never move again... the object litter literally caused the house, island, and trees there to be returned because everything in the parcel exceeded her group's land credits. It's quite messy.

Edited by Diablo Lioncourt
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Conall McGinnis said:

I get this message;

There is a banline to the West of the parcel the boat was returned from. It is currently protecting an otherwise empty water parcel at ground level, which may seem pointless, but as you are finding out something they can do.

You are frustratingly close to a route up West Nautilus recently opened up by cooperation of land owners, but if you have to traverse the parcel with the banline to get there, unfortunately because of parcelling you are quite a few parcels from that safe passage. In time the area might open up further as landowners cooperate to benefit from shared passage, but unfortunately the way the policies work on mainland it only takes one person with a parcel in the wrong place to spoil it for the rest. I had a brief look flying around and I couldn't see a safe route from there. Orbs and banlines, some like the one it seems you are hitting over otherwise empty water parcels spoil it.

A rental in the Fairchang Estate to the South West of where you are (that enabled that passage up West Nautilus) will give you protected water at a reasonable rental cost.

If it was the abandoned land kicking you, then you could put a ticket in for the Lindens to adjust the settings, if set wrong. But on this occasion I think the message you are getting is the last place the boat was allowed to be before it hit the banline and was returned.

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

There is a banline to the West of the parcel the boat was returned from. [...]

If it was the abandoned land kicking you, then you could put a ticket in for the Lindens to adjust the settings, if set wrong. But on this occasion I think the message you are getting is the last place the boat was allowed to be before it hit the banline and was returned.

That certainly seems right, especially given the specific coordinates of the object return being right on that western border of the abandoned parcel.

To unpack the mechanism: When the sailor was unseated by the neighboring parcel's banline, the now unoccupied vehicle was returned by the abandoned parcel's No Object Entry setting to which occupied vehicles are exempt.

I thought I heard that this is supposed to change at some point in the future, where instead of unseating all occupants, a vehicle will just bounce off parcels from which an occupant is denied entry.

(I notice this banlined parcel allows object entry, so I can imagine a possible mistaken implementation where the the vehicle gets in but the occupants can't so they end up stranded while the boat sails on. That evidently wasn't the case here, though, given the boat was returned by the abandoned parcel's no-object-entry setting, not straying into sailor-forbidden waters.)

• Thanks 1

is possible to be sat on a vehicle so that the agent position (for llUnsit) is different from the vehicle position

most of the more modern orbs do the following:

1) Unsit the agent from the vehicle

2) Return the vehicle to owner

3) Eject the agent

if the parcel OP encountered has a similar orb then the parcel probably has object entry denied also set

The agent position goes over the parcel boundary and agent gets script unsit from their vehicle. The parcel object entry denied parameter stops the now unattended vehicle at the boundary and the vehicle's position remains on the Linden parcel. The script is unable to return the vehicle to the owner as the vehicle is not on the script parcel. The vehicle is returned by the Linden parcel  Object Return eventually

Edited by elleevelyn
typs

50 minutes ago, elleevelyn said:

[...] The vehicle is returned by the Linden parcel  Object Return eventually

That "eventually" is what sent me to investigate originally, given that the OP didn't mention a delay, so apparently auto-return wasn't involved. (It's only a 2048 so it would be a slow sailor who didn't cross it within the Governor's 5 minute auto-return interval!)

Anyway, in this particular case, I don't think an orb ever got involved; the adjacent parcel has a whitelist banline and object entry is allowed, so an unoccupied vehicle would have skated through, but with an occupied vehicle all occupants would be barred entry, which apparently stopped the vehicle outside the parcel as it unsat the occupant(s), and that location (Linden abandoned land) has the no-object entry setting that caused immediate return of the now unoccupied vehicle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

That "eventually" is what sent me to investigate originally, given that the OP didn't mention a delay, so apparently auto-return wasn't involved. (It's only a 2048 so it would be a slow sailor who didn't cross it within the Governor's 5 minute auto-return interval!)

Anyway, in this particular case, I don't think an orb ever got involved; the adjacent parcel has a whitelist banline and object entry is allowed, so an unoccupied vehicle would have skated through, but with an occupied vehicle all occupants would be barred entry, which apparently stopped the vehicle outside the parcel as it unsat the occupant(s), and that location (Linden abandoned land) has the no-object entry setting that caused immediate return of the now unoccupied vehicle.

hmm! when we hit a banline on a vehicle then the agent is stopped at the boundary - not over the boundary (the vehicle also being stopped). The agent is not unseated by the act of hitting the banline. The agent and vehicle are stuck in the tape fence, and typically we edit the vehicle and sitting agent off the fence. So something else happened to detach the agent from the vehicle. It could just have been that the system borked in OP instance, or it could be that Linden have changed the behaviour which I am not sure about

49 minutes ago, elleevelyn said:

hmm! when we hit a banline on a vehicle then the agent is stopped at the boundary - not over the boundary (the vehicle also being stopped). The agent is not unseated by the act of hitting the banline.

Hmm, indeed! I wonder if it could be different when the banlined parcel allows object entry, as in this case. I don't spend enough time in vehicles anymore to know, I was trying to find some explanation for the immediate object return from the Linden side.

Maybe if the occupant, "stuck in the tape fence" with the vehicle were to stand manually, the no-object-entry rule would return the vehicle.

(If we ever figure it out, who's gonna explain it to the newbies?)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Maybe if the occupant, "stuck in the tape fence" with the vehicle were to stand manually, the no-object-entry rule would return the vehicle.

this is the most likely explanation I think, probably the only explanation when an orb is not involved

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 155 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.