trouble connecting after switching from cable internet to fibre optic internet

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 148 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

reposting this as i think i placed it in the wrong section before

after changing ISP to fibre,  firestorm hangs at requesting region capabilities and won't connect

steps we have taken to resolve this so far is, whitelisting it on the firewall and disabling the firewall completely and tried a different region to log into , none of these resolved the issue

we still have the old cable internet temporarily and when switching to that isp it logs on fine

i am at a loss for anything else to try and any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Do you get the same result trying to log in with the Default Linden viewer?  If so, contact LL support, it may be their problem.  I know some ISPs specifically block access to certain websites and block assorted ports but I know no detailed information.

• Like 1

Run a traceroute to 54.184.44.5 . Does it complete?

(if on Windows open a command prompt, type "tracert 54.184.44.5", or on Linux or MacOS run "traceroute 54.184.44.5" in a terminal window )

That IP is of no real significance other than being one I could find ( simhost-0bcc34323c1ea6cea.agni.secondlife.io), it's the IP of a Second Life simulator though and is online, after a number of hops (might take a while) you should be able to see the traceroute complete. It sounds like you may have a routing issue if you can't, such an issue would point to your ISP being the culprit.

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, CollidingNeurons said:

its timing out on multiple hops

That is normal. From what we can see though you should be able to connect to a simulator which is what is happening when "Requesting region capabilities" is on screen.

Try logging in to region "Hissel"

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, CollidingNeurons said:

ts timing out on multiple hops

Your tracert is basically useless, and doesn't mean what you think it means.

You need to use the command ilne switches to tell tracert the max number of hops to check, default is 30, but for example from the UK, reaching the cloud farm in Oregon can take 35 or more.

Also, nodes "timed out" doesn't always mean that the node isn't working, it usually means the node isn't configured to reply with info to ping requests. Quite a bit of the hop route to AWS won't reply to a ping request, even when it's working.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Your tracert is basically useless, and doesn't mean what you think it means.

You need to use the command ilne switches to tell tracert the max number of hops to check, default is 30, but for example from the UK, reaching the cloud farm in Oregon can take 35 or more.

Also, nodes "timed out" doesn't always mean that the node isn't working, it usually means the node isn't configured to reply with info to ping requests. Quite a bit of the hop route to AWS won't reply to a ping request, even when it's working.

ok i wasn't sure what it meant, just looking solution...thanks for reply

1 hour ago, CollidingNeurons said:

same result, hangs at requesting region capabilities and wont connect

Then I am out of ideas :(

Only thing else I would check is (temporarily) disabling the firewall that will be running on your router (192.168.4.1) to see if that changes anything.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, CollidingNeurons said:

can you tell me how to do that because i think it does have something to do with the isp blocking it somehow

Oh you wouldn't have any access to anything your ISP is blocking (as in ability to change that) but your router will perform basic firewall duties. I see from the tracert it is on IP 192.168.4.1 (your local network) - if you go to that IP in a browser you should get a log in page, the details for this should have been provided by your ISP (probably on a label on the router).

These devices all have a firewall in them these days but they usually just work, my suggestion to disable it temporarily was a long shot to remove any doubt as to it being the culprit.

• Like 1

the first thing I would try is to change the DNS server from Acquire automatically (from your ISP) to Google DNS

a how to do this on Windows 11 is here: https://www.howtogeek.com/767564/how-to-change-dns-servers-on-windows-11/

if this doesn't help then is most likely that your ethernet card is not synching properly with your router.  I had this issue when I switched to fibre on Windows 10.  Fix was to update my  ethernet card driver

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CollidingNeurons said:

after changing ISP to fibre,  firestorm hangs at requesting region capabilities and won't connect...

Curious, is it only with Firestorm and Second Life you have problems? If so,  how does your Preferences->Connection->Adjust Proxy Settings look?. If any values, try and remove those.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2023 at 7:36 PM, Rachel1206 said:

Curious, is it only with Firestorm and Second Life you have problems? If so,  how does your Preferences->Connection->Adjust Proxy Settings look?. If any values, try and remove those.

yes everything connects and no issues other than second life on two computers, the outgoing cable internet that is still temporarily on, both can connect to sl

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CollidingNeurons said:

yes everything connects and no issues other than second life on two computers, the outgoing cable internet that is still temporarily on, both can connect to sl

Did you try changing DNS to use Google or Cloudflare?

Google: Primary 8.8.8.8 , Secondary 8.8.4.4

Cloudflare: Primary 1.1.1.1 , Secondary 1.0.0.1

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Like 1

This could be a limited port range issue... To make for the IPv4 addresses shortage, some ISPs (seen with Free/Illiad in France) are configuring their routers to share a same IP between several of their customers, attributing to each of them only part of the available 65535 ports, e.g. port 1-16383 to customer 1, 16384 to 32767 for customer 2, 32768 to 49151 for customer3, and 49152 to 65535 to customer 4: if you are ”customer 1”, you are in luck and got the privileged ports in your attributed slot, but others will be in pain (especially when they host a server at home).

With SL, ports 130xy are needed, viewer side; if your ISP routes them to another customer, you are hosed !

If you are in this case you may however configure the port used by the viewer for UDP (in the Network tab of the Preferences for most viewers), and you could also request a ”full stack” IPv4 from your ISP (they might make this a paying service, however)...

Edited by Henri Beauchamp
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 148 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.