Joining Land Question.

Carpentoon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 218 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Documentation says there must be a shared border to join parcels. It's a good restriction. Otherwise we'd have checkerboarded parcels useful only for ad signage. 

If you own two parcels in the same region, they share land capacity. You can buy more land in the same region to get more LI, even if it's not contiguous. So if that's all you need, no problem.

• Like 4

Wait. Unless things have changed for the worse, parcels that don't share a border can be joined as long as they're in the same region. That's how parcels can span a Linden road for example. It's a tiny bit tricky, dragging the selection box across the unowned stretch of land, but as long as a tip of both parcels are selected, "join" should work.

One caveat: if the land separating the two parcels is owned by another group for which the user also has such parcel permissions, it may think you're trying to join all three parcels and refuse because they don't all have the same owner. (That happened to me years ago, though, so maybe it's smarter now.)

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Wait. Unless things have changed for the worse, parcels that don't share a border can be joined as long as they're in the same region. That's how parcels can span a Linden road for example. It's a tiny bit tricky, dragging the selection box across the unowned stretch of land, but as long as a tip of both parcels are selected, "join" should work.

One caveat: if the land separating the two parcels is owned by another group for which the user also has such parcel permissions, it may think you're trying to join all three parcels and refuse because they don't all have the same owner. (That happened to me years ago, though, so maybe it's smarter now.)

You are correct!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I personally have joined parcels that did not share a common boarder but that were relatively close to each other so that my land select could select a piece of both of them... I did have to zoom out quiet a bit to have them both on my screen at the same time so I could select both parcels on the edit terrain panel.  However, it is definitely possible to join unconnected pieces in the same region. I did it about a year ago wingo.

Edited by Teresa Firelight
  • Like 1

On a related topic... one might ask what are the benefits of organizing your land as one parcel versus multiple parcels. Note that this does not effect LI availability as long as the parcels are in the same region.

"One parcel" allows ease of administration as you set parcel attributes once and they apply everywhere.

"Multiple parcels" allows you to have different attributes in different places. This is what I like. My parcels vary with respect to rez rights and autoreturn, avatar visibility, music stream, default teleport location, parcel name, and parcel profile picture.

Edited by diamond Marchant
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, diamond Marchant said:

On a related topic... one might ask what are the benefits of organizing your land as one parcel versus multiple parcels. Note that this does not effect LI availability as long as the parcels are in the same region.

Really? I thought each individual parcel only let you use that parcel's LI unless joined. TIL!

(But the "parcel attributes" makes sense.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Really? I thought each individual parcel only let you use that parcel's LI unless joined. TIL!

That's actually an advantage to dividing into multiple parcels: Each parcel gets its own LI allocation for accounting purposes, but it doesn't restrict "borrowing" LI among those same-owner parcels.

In my case, though, I usually want to track LI usage on parcels defined by usage (e.g., the outline of builds) that doesn't necessarily coincide with where Linden land passes through.

So an example of what @diamond Marchant says about parcel attributes: it's sure handy to set auto-return and have it affect land on both sides of the railroad.

• Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 218 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.