LL Viewer Inventory Item Preview and Single Folder View Version

Chike Nightingale

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 187 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

LL Viewer Second Life Release 6.6.15.581862 (64bit)

I have a problem with some uploaded textures with this viewer. When I try to change a texture in an item, for example a picture in a picture frame, I am stopped from doing it and get this message -

Selected image is 1024x512. Inventory image must be square, no less than (MINTEXDIM).

The size quoted changes, according to the size of the actual texture I am attempting to use, but some of my textures are square, some are not and before this viewer release, that was not a problem. These textures have already been uploaded and the upload charge paid, so to get useable ones, I would need to change the size of all the non-square ones, upload them again and of course, pay the upload charge again.

I don't understand why this change was made and even if it is really necessary, when before, it was not a restriction and therefore, not necessary. Is it possible that this change could be reverted? Other than that, the new viewer facilities are pretty cool.

• Like 1

Using that viewer for the first time, I was able to paint a non-square texture on a prim, but if I try to use it to change a folder image it shows "Selected texture is 512x256. Inventory image must be square, no less than 64x64" which is an expected constraint on those preview images. BUT THEN, trying to use that same texture to paint a prim again, I do get that message with the "[MINTEXDIM]".

I haven't tested further, but at first glance it seems as if using that folder preview image feature contaminates some viewer state for using textures at all.

I couldn't find that MINTEXDIM string in the jira so you may want to file one. (This is still a "release candidate" viewer, right? I think they need jiras, unless this one is reported somehow without that text appearing.)

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

Weird.

That almost sounds like the restriction that now exists for profile images but as far as I know that is for profile images only, you can of course have textures with any aspect ratio in your inventory and SL would be pretty broken without them.

Yes, you can have textures with any aspect ratio  in your inventory, but now, with this viewer, unless they are square, you can't actually use them, so yes, weird.

Edited by Anthony McGregor

13 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Using that viewer for the first time, I was able to paint a non-square texture on a prim, but if I try to use it to change a folder image it shows "Selected texture is 512x256. Inventory image must be square, no less than 64x64" which is an expected constraint on those preview images. BUT THEN, trying to use that same texture to paint a prim again, I do get that message with the "[MINTEXDIM]".

I haven't tested further, but at first glance it seems as if using that folder preview image feature contaminates some viewer state for using textures at all.

I couldn't find that MINTEXDIM string in the jira so you may want to file one. (This is still a "release candidate" viewer, right? I think they need jiras, unless this one is reported somehow without that text appearing.)

Thank you very much for taking your time to look in to this. I have done as you suggested and filed a JIRA.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Why would preview images be limited to square?

There's a whole set of windows for capturing and displaying one or more previews and I suppose it would be much more difficult (and probably uglier, with either wasted space or distorted images) if the layouts had to accommodate all different aspect ratios.

I still haven't really spent time with this viewer. In a quick test I thought the "Single Folder View" seemed especially useful—kind of a hybrid of Firestorm's "Show in new Window" action on Inventory folders and Catznip's analogous "Open in… New Window" with graphical previews (albeit on mouseover everywhere in Catznip which the new Linden viewer also has, but the new single folder view shows those previews at the top of the window).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

I suppose it would be much more difficult (and probably uglier, with either wasted space or distorted images) if the layouts had to accommodate all different aspect ratios.

I see, I assumed it isn't that hard to make a "frame" that is "fixed aspect ratio", and if an image is "not square" within that "frame", the non-square bits would just be black or whatever.

You know, like in normal Windows programs and Web pages.

(It's not that I'm ignorant, I just assume "other programs" are lazy!)

Yeah, I guess they could just letterbox the images so I guess my supposition was wrong about why they constrained the aspect ratio. 

(This prompted me to open the Windows 11 File Explorer for comparison. I never noticed the View / Preview pane option before. Seems pretty cool. Wonder how long that's been there.)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Qie Niangao said:

(This prompted me to open the Windows 11 File Explorer for comparison. I never noticed the View / Preview pane option before. Seems pretty cool. Wonder how long that's been there.)

Something similar has been there many years, several versions of Windows - not necessarily as a "pane", but by selecting Details vs. List vs. etc. - one of the options had something like a "preview pane". Personally, I don't like "preview panes" and keep mine closed in Outlook as often as I can. They take up too much real estate. (I use "List" in File Explorer most often.)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Yeah, I guess they could just letterbox the images so I guess my supposition was wrong about why they constrained the aspect ratio. 

I don't know if this sort of preview was always in Windows 11, but the function has been around in Windows for quite a while.  I happen to have Windows 2000 on a VM here.  Preview is under the file details on the left, currently previewing an HTML document.  Several types of files can be previewed.  Later releases can preview more types of files.  I remember getting all excited when preview started working on the video format I use in the studio, then I had to turn preview off because the editing workstation computer was severely bogged down.

image.png.0b95074a7cc7c15dd56c6e3edfa4a5e9.png

• Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Ardy Lay said:

Preview is under the file details on the left, currently previewing an HTML document.

Oh yeah, that does look familiar. Somehow the sidebar view I first noticed this morning seemed like a whole new revelation—perhaps in unconscious association with the new Single Folder View in LL's RC viewer.

Speaking of which: I just downloaded the update, tried the best I could to perfectly repeat what caused the error last time, and it didn't replicate. So another belated confirmation the bug looks fixed!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Qie Niangao said:

Oh yeah, that does look familiar. Somehow the sidebar view I first noticed this morning seemed like a whole new revelation—perhaps in unconscious association with the new Single Folder View in LL's RC viewer.

Speaking of which: I just downloaded the update, tried the best I could to perfectly repeat what caused the error last time, and it didn't replicate. So another belated confirmation the bug looks fixed!

Does it work for non-square textures now?  Sorry, I got lost with the side-tracks.

This preview photo feature is on the latest update of the standard LL viewer, released today.

It works well although I'm not sure how useful I'll find it.

What would be much more useful with outfits would be to allow us to create folders (subfolders) to arrange outfits in. That used to be possible, then it stopped.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/3/2023 at 11:57 PM, Conifer Dada said:

What would be much more useful with outfits would be to allow us to create folders (subfolders) to arrange outfits in. That used to be possible, then it stopped.

i can't remember exactly now, but I think it had to something to do with the texture baking service, which happens when we Save or Save As an Outfit

when we make our outfit directly in our own folder then copypasta our folder to Outfits then the texture baking service is not ever performed on the outfit

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 187 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.