Alts in the forums

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 318 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 minutes ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

If the Hidenburg disaster happened right in front of me, I'd watch it too. Doesn't mean I like it. 

Hindenburg disaster/train wrecks vs disturbed people behaving in dysfunctional ways ====== apples to oranges, not a good comparison.

Edited by Luna Bliss

9 minutes ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

If the Hidenburg disaster happened right in front of me, I'd watch it too. Doesn't mean I like it. 

The sl forums aren't what they used to be. I see it as a tiny, dysfunctional echo chamber full of forum nannies but at least there's lolz.

You should have been here years ago, when the old forums were really toxic. They're Sunday School now by comparison. Yay! for moderation.

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Or like the accusation that you are someone you are not; you wonder who the hell you're supposed to be. Hopefully that bs has finally stopped.

I hope so, Silent, I really do.  This is a very strange dynamic, one I've only seen on forums really, but no doubt it exists in 1st life too.

1 minute ago, Persephone Emerald said:

You should have been here years ago, when the old forums were really toxic. They're Sunday School now by comparison. Yay! for moderation.

I'm thinking back to like 2006, I feel like there were more people, different opinions etc. Just my two-bit opinion. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

I'm thinking back to like 2006, I feel like there were more people, different opinions etc. Just my two-bit opinion. 

There were definitely more people. When I was new here though, I just watched the drama and didn't dare to get in the middle of it. There are probably others doing the same now.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Some people are like a train wreck.  You can't look away.  Doesn't mean you're a fan of train wrecks but come on, who doesn't enjoy someone else's drama?  Especially when they cause it themselves.  And then...compound said drama by making a thread about it.

Good point.

"Someone criticized my XXXX. Forget that, look over there!" * runs in the other direction *

then:

"What do you guys think about XXXX?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Reminder: The topic is about Alts in the Forum. I have already made statements regarding my own use of my own "Alt".  This "whataboutism" is not really about Alts, so far as I can tell.

Good thing you still remember what the topic was about. As I was wading through your last post I was starting to wonder ;)

• Haha 2

I like to watch drama...rather, I like to watch some drama. I like to see how people resolve conflicts, set boundaries. Usually, the reality is that nobody is wrong or right -- they're just different.  But some will go to any length to try and prove they're right, and if they can't they leave in a huff.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Those whose boundaries are different than yours are not going to change much, if at all.  It's very much like making a friend in 1st or 2nd life...there comes a time when we expect a greater degree of authenticity from a person, and this varies from person to person, and so there are no clear lines.

I agree there should be no rules about it, and of course there is not on the forum, but you attempting to convince others to have your boundaries will bear no fruit.  Maybe you should just drop it?

That is what makes forums exciting isn't it? The fact that no matter what is said, very few will change their minds unless they are open to it. These threads are mostly for our own benefit in hammering down what one's own thoughts and opinions are on something.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Good point.

"Someone criticized my XXXX. Forget that, look over there!" * runs in the other direction *

then:

"What do you guys think about XXXX?"

If you had asked the question, my remarks would be the same.  If others see themselves reflected in those remarks, that's on them.

I don't go looking for alts but when new people arrive, I'll often check out their profile.  I do the same inworld.  Very illuminating at times.  As I mentioned before, people aren't as smart as they think they are when it comes to alts.

My alt, that I pictured in the NUX thread, looks nothing like me.  Step one.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I don't go looking for alts but when new people arrive, I'll often check out their profile.  I do the same inworld.  Very illuminating at times.  As I mentioned before, people aren't smart as they think they are when I comes to alts.

I've never done that.  I just talk to the people.

4 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

These threads are mostly for our own benefit in hammering down what one's own thoughts and opinions are on something.

So true. I've clarified my beliefs to myself quite a lot, and mostly learned how to express them in better ways.

I tend to be too "right brained" and so writing can be good for me.

I do like all the people though too, and it's fun to converse.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BillFletcher said:

talk.jpg

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Bill, I think they (the person you quoted) maybe only read a small number of posts in he thread. But good comeback!

I don't know Bill or his previous incarnations afaik so if he had directed that meme at me, he has  obviously misunderstood why I am involved in this thread. Otherwise Love, it is you who misunderstood the intent of it.

1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I don't know Bill or his previous incarnations afaik so if he had directed that meme at me, he has  obviously misunderstood why I am involved in this thread. Otherwise Love, it is you who misunderstood the intent of it.

I think Bill was agreeing with you, regarding what you posted....that the whole thread is basically about two people who have a problem with each other.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I like to watch drama...rather, I like to watch some drama. I like to see how people resolve conflicts, set boundaries. Usually, the reality is that nobody is wrong or right -- they're just different.  But some will go to any length to try and prove they're right, and if they can't they leave in a huff.

The strangest of things, is that usually people are just talking past one another, and often are more or less in agreement, but semantics have caught them in some sort of trap of opposing one another's perceived argument.  As an observer, one may want to step in and say something, but at the same time is not sure if those involved are just entertaining themselves, alternatively they may be so drawn into the idea of winning, or is not sure what is going on, and one does not want to get stuck in the muck.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

If you had asked the question, my remarks would be the same.  If others see themselves reflected in those remarks, that's on them.

I don't go looking for alts but when new people arrive, I'll often check out their profile.  I do the same inworld.  Very illuminating at times.  As I mentioned before, people aren't as smart as they think they are when it comes to alts.

My alt, that I pictured in the NUX thread, looks nothing like me.  Step one.

Because you mentioned doing that a few times in past, I decided one day to look up the profiles of some of the forum regulars (noone that is involved in this thread) and was surprised how some described themselves quite differently from how they portray themselves on the forums. It was an interesting experiment and just went to show how many of us are not very aware of the difference between who we think we are and the reality of what other people see.

Edited by Arielle Popstar
added clarification.
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

two people who have a problem with each other.

Except i have no problem with her, I try to take her criticism to heart and do better, and when I make a post trying to get the opinions of other so I can move forward in a way that causes as little grief to others as possible. I get accused of trying to stir up old drama. I never wanted any of that drama in the first place. I was happily content with my SL, and that drama destroyed it. In hindsight that was for the best, but at the time I had no idea.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

...I decided one day to look up the profiles of some of the forum regulars (noone that is involved in this thread) and was surprised how some described themselves quite differently from how they portray themselves on the forums. It was an interesting experiment and just went to show how many of us are not very aware of the difference between who we think we are and the reality of what other people see.

I admit I'm usually too lazy to look up the inworld profiles of people on the forums. I probably wouldn't be able to keep track of all their alts and supposed alts if I did anyway. Rowan once gave me a hint for how to know the alts of one person, but I don't think even that is a surefire method. Unless the alt posts a clue about their real identity, I'm usually pretty clueless.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, BillFletcher said:

Except i have no problem with her, I try to take her criticism to heart and do better, and when I make a post trying to get the opinions of other so I can move forward in a way that causes as little grief to others as possible. I get accused of trying to stir up old drama. I never wanted any of that drama in the first place. I was happily content with my SL, and that drama destroyed it. In hindsight that was for the best, but at the time I had no idea.

Honestly, what did you think might happen?   I mean, seriously?  Next time you start a possible drama inducing thread, expressly say "Please, Rowan.  Refrain from posting"  and I'll happily comply.  Promise.  Screenshot this for proof.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I admit I'm usually too lazy to look up the inworld profiles of people on the forums. I probably wouldn't be able to keep track of all their alts and supposed alts if I did anyway. Rowan once gave me a hint for how to know the alts of one person, but I don't think even that is a surefire method. Unless the alt posts a clue about their real identity, I'm usually pretty clueless.

Yes same for me on the lazy part and compounded with the fact that I just don't consider it to be any of my business. Especially when it gets into researching the profiles of any alts if I even knew how. On the forum I am only focused on what is being said and whether I would be interested in discussing it. The poster's backstories if even accurate is of no interest to me except with what they share in the forum itself.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 318 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.