HUD UUID

Rachel Harley

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 401 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, I'm trying to see if I can find the UUID of a HUD i'm wearing. Its HUD I purchased (so I cannot modify it to report the UUID when its rezzed). I'm using an RLV viewer was wanting to use

o Allow/prevent touching HUDs : @touchhud[:<UUID>]=<y/n>

But I cannot find any way of finding the UUID of my own HUD. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Rach.

12 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

On Firestorm, you can select any object and open the edit window, then click on the "Copy Keys" button on the main view, if I recall correctly.

With scripts, you can also use llGetObjectDetails.

Since the object is no mod, I don't think there's any way to get the key when it's attached from inventory, other than copying the key, but since the key is going to change each time the object is rezzed, I'm not sure how much use that's going to be.

@Rachel Harley You might try writing a simple script with something like 

llRegionSayTo(llGetOwner(), someChannel, "it's me!  Your HUD!"); 

in the on_rez and attach events and then any object the owner is wearing that's listening on someChannel will hear it and can grab the ID from that.   Then give the script to whoever made the HUD and ask them to drop it in a copy of the HUD for you.

That's all I can think of.   

I don't know why the script owner's own HUDs can't be revealed by llGetAttachedList but that's the situation, so with a no-mod item there seem only four possibilities, all nearly hopeless:

1. Get the HUD's rezzer to confess what it's rezzed. That's only going to work if this no-mod HUD is (already) scripted to attach itself after being rezzed, which seems a lot less likely than assuming it will always be attached from user inventory.
  2. [ETA: Mostly won't work anyway*] Discover the HUD exposes its attached existence in some way a script can detect. For example, it may say something on a channel the script can monitor. Or rez something a script sensor can detect. Or play an animation on the avatar that the script can observe with llGetAnimationList or change their animation state observable with llGetAgentInfo, timed such that the script can determine it's occurring due to the HUD's attachment. Or some other "tell".
  3. Get the creator to add some absolutely minimal API that reveals its existence in a way visible to a script (see #2 above)
  4. Get the creator to make the damned thing Mod-perm, which most things should be anyway, but this HUD might be an exception: if there's some roleplay reason it shouldn't be touchable, maybe the end user shouldn't be able to modify it and change the rules of whatever game it roleplays (but more likely the creator just won't do it because they're an Ever So Important creator; either way, Mod-perm seems about as unlikely as the other options).

[* ETA: Other than the HUD actually saying something, these ideas only reveal the fact the HUD was attached, but not its identity. Theoretically, if the HUD rezzes a thing, that thing could reveal who rezzed it—kinda option #1, once removed—but that's unrealistic because the thing hypothetically being rezzed is coming from a no-mod HUD, so another sleight of hand would be needed to make that rezzed object confess its rezzer.]

Edited by Qie Niangao
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

I don't know why the script owner's own HUDs can't be revealed by llGetAttachedList but that's the situation, so with a no-mod item there seem only four possibilities, all nearly hopeless:

1. Get the HUD's rezzer to confess what it's rezzed. That's only going to work if this no-mod HUD is (already) scripted to attach itself after being rezzed, which seems a lot less likely than assuming it will always be attached from user inventory.
  2. Discover the HUD exposes its attached existence in some way a script can detect. For example, it may say something on a channel the script can monitor. Or rez something a script sensor can detect. Or play an animation on the avatar that the script can observe with llGetAnimationList or change their animation state observable with llGetAgentInfo, timed such that the script can determine it's occurring due to the HUD's attachment. Or some other "tell".
  3. Get the creator to add some absolutely minimal API that reveals its existence in a way visible to a script (see #2 above)
  4. Get the creator to make the damned thing Mod-perm, which most things should be anyway, but this HUD might be an exception: if there's some roleplay reason it shouldn't be touchable, maybe the end user shouldn't be able to modify it and change the rules of whatever game it roleplays (but more likely the creator just won't do it because they're an Ever So Important creator; either way, Mod-perm seems about as unlikely as the other options).

In my ignorance, I had assumed it may not be possible to get the UUID of the original HUD at all, being "no-mod".

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

In my ignorance, I had assumed it may not be possible to get the UUID of the original HUD at all, being "no-mod".

Honestly, that's as good an assumption as practical. (I even had to walk-back most of #2 while you were quoting it, straws not even in the field to be grasped at.)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Qie Niangao said:
8 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Honestly, that's as good an assumption as practical. (I even had to walk-back most of #2 while you were quoting it, straws not even in the field to be grasped at.)

Perhaps to walk-back my own assumption: to be fair, I think you can't get the UUID of "certain types of inventory items" if they are NO-COPY.  Textures and animations come to mind.

I may have pulled the "no-mod"="no UUID" assumption out of my um, "tail-hole".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

Right right right, I keep forgetting about that, can't really see why that's a thing either.

It drives me nuts sometimes.   I think the restriction is because of potential privacy concerns, to spare people's potential embarrassment over sex huds and things that control parts of their anatomy, but it can certainly be a huge pain in the neck.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 401 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.