What made you want land in sl?

Ingrid Ingersoll

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 213 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

When Jeogeot was coming online, LL were giving away free 512m plots to new premium members, called it "First Land" - that was all the hook I needed to start paying them. I remember row on row of populated 512s, everyone smooshed into their little rectangles thinking it was the greatest thing ever. My terrible little first land was in Pyong Ya.

But soon after that I found a gorgeous corner of Yabune on Mare Secundus. For this thread, That is what really made me want to own land in SL. The need to own it was visceral - I knew it was home the moment I landed.

Selling that spot was one of those very great mistakes I should never have made.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Possibly because of living in poverty in RL in childhood, often in "multi-family dwellings" with the stairs on the outside of the house, then crowded communes and cramped NYC apartments.

The Lindens used to say "you don't need land to have fun".

But oh, you do. You need a home, a house, a place to decorate, a place to serve tea to your friends and show them what you're making. And more.

The human desire for a hearthstone dies hard despite decades of Darwinian Internetization. 

• Like 7

I rented a house fairly early on; in the first couple of weeks, because I hated having my "set home" location at an infohub.   The house was part of a little community in Heterocea, spread across three regions, and the owner did two things to get me hooked; first, he took me for a ride in his helicopter. Second, he taught me how to build (with prims).

And then one day I logged in to find all the tenants in confusion because the owner had apparently left SL, leaving the land with the houses still there but with auto-return turned off. I lived there rent-free for a few more weeks, in a state of ever-increasing anarchy with abandoned vehicles, houses set on fire and basically what amounted to an un-regulated sandbox.  Eventually, I guess the money ran out, Governor Linden reclaimed the land and everything was returned.

After a break from SL of a year or so, when I came back I sought out a rental again, and this time it went much better. I stayed with her for years, ultil she retired, but this time I bought the land from her and I'm still there.

• Like 4

Because it's so easy and cheap to have a different home whenever I fancy a change of scenery, even continent, with zero weight furniture conveniently stored in my inventory 😅

Jokes apart, or was it, I think it boils down to having wanted to be more part of it all. I'm not a creator, and I don't always have much time to contribute, but I usually could afford a bit of money, and loved "owning" a little bit of land, and whenever it was mainland for me, make something nice of it and keep it open for other people to enjoy - no idea if ever anyone did, though, ha, but I did my best to make it clear it's meant like that. I'm pondering mainland again, and this time, I'll look at MP and into setting something up like a visitor counter or something, to see if actually ever anyone passes, or even spends some time there, if possible, I'm curious. I like having a skybox for the odd things like unpacking, dressing, AFKing, and such, but for my "main property", I've always liked it to be a (semi-)public space, like a garden, library, café. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 213 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.