How Many Avatars are associated with my Main character?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 384 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

8 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Now, your email addresses would probably be rejected like they are today for certain "supposedly legitimate" email providers.  (Those email providers have a "low trust score" according to research by one of the Forumites in the thread that was about. Something similar to "trust score", at least.)

That's something I've never heard about, and it's so interesting that I'm going to try it now. That last account I created in that way weren't too long ago, but long enough ago that things could easily have changed.

ETA:
And they have changed. I can't create a new account using the same domain name.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Phil Deakins said:

That's something I've never heard about, and it's so interesting that I'm going to try it now. That last account I created in that way weren't too long ago, but long enough ago that things could easily have changed.

ETA:
And they have changed. I can't create a new account using the same domain name.

Found the thread on it: 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

Exactly right @Phil Deakins. The same domain I signed up with is now no longer acceptable, despite being one of the world's most trusted email providers.

I see it was you who posted in that thread about Proton email no longer being accepted, I had never heard of it before that!

• Like 2

Interesting, since I'm told Proton Mail is one of the most secure email services out there.

In response to the OP's question: LL considers each account a separate entity. It doesn't matter if you used the same email address on them or not, none of your accounts are "associated" or "linked" to your main account or any other.

The only "link" they have is that you yourself made them. However, as others have said, LL may be able to provide help in tracking down an old account whose password and even email you can't recall. You'll have to jump through some hoops to prove that you are you and that you are actually the rightful owner of said account.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

The only "link" they have is that you yourself made them.

Can't LL see that you're using the same PC ("MAC address", etc.)?  For instance, to "ban" accounts LL thinks are related.

I know IP addresses are less useful these days due to everyone using VPN's.  But I had a memory that your "unique PC identifier" (whether MAC or otherwise) could be used by LL.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I use an email service that lets me create many unique email addresses so that I can use a different one for each place that wants an email address.  That also lets me know which places sell my data.

Me too - had the same email provider (not proton) for so long I can't recall - over twenty years certainly. Plus my own domains which allow wildcard delivery.

I just tried to create an account to see if I could reuse them (again), but...

acerr.png.e48d6b5876f859bb7407a1fd1488fd97.png

LL fell at the first hurdle, lol. Never even got past the first screen.

As to knowing who sold your address though... I'm pretty certain that someone at my email service company was selling them from there. I had ones I created to test just that, that had been given to no-one and only used to send a test to myself, from myself. Guess what... they got spammed a few weeks later. A letter to the CEO never got an answer but I noticed that the spam to newly created addresses seemed to stop within a month or so.

Can't trust anyone!

Edited by Rick Nightingale
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Rick Nightingale said:

Me too - had the same email provider (not proton) for so long I can't recall - over twenty years certainly.

Wow, that makes me wonder..would I still be able to create an account with my AOL address? LoveX is old enough that I used AOL with her and my main LoveZ.

(I would be using the same address as I use now.)

Luckily, I don't need to create a new account.

If AOL goes the way of the Dodo, us oldbies are doomed. DOOMED I say!!

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Wow, that makes me wonder..would I still be able to create an account with my AOL address? LoveX is old enough that I used AOL with her and my main LoveZ.

(I would be using the same address as I use now.)

Luckily, I don't need to create a new account.

You can test it. You don't need to create an account. When you enter the email address, it tells you right there if there's a problem with it.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

You can test it. You don't need to create an account. When you enter the email address, it tells you right there if there's a problem with it.

I wonder if anyone tried to view the calls to see if the "Trust" level was "Low" as in the thread I linked. 

Frankly, I don't understand how the OP in that thread did it (whether he intercepted the LL calls, or made his own, etc.)

I'm a programmer but not a "Web" programmer! (Iz dumb lion)

3 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Can't LL see that you're using the same PC ("MAC address", etc.)?  For instance, to "ban" accounts LL thinks are related.

They can, yes, although I don't know if they routinely look at that. But even though they can see that Account X and Account Y are run on the same computer, they still treat them as separate accounts, which was my point.

• Like 1

LL doesn't want new customers I guess.
If I were to sign up somewhere and they reject my email account, that would end the relationship between me and the company right on the spot, even before it started. I would not jump trough hoops to try a new game or platform. I'm the owner of exactly 3 email accounts and I'm not planning on opening another one.

Well, they run this show. so what can we do?
LL seems to be in a position where they can be picky about new customers or they gave up the idea that it is possible to get new customers and they concentrate on squeezing the last penny out of us oldbies before closing the gates in a few years.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

If AOL goes the way of the Dodo, us oldbies are doomed. DOOMED I say!!

AOL is still around??? Wow - not heard of them for a long time. I think Carphone Warehouse bought out their UK ops.

I remember, back in the days when a new computer magazine would be launched almost weekly, the AOL CDs that frequented them. I used AOL briefly, with their homegrown content and limited/filtered version of the internet, before moving to a real ISP. Can't recall what I had against AOL but I know I always called it AOHell. Oh, the wonderful days of dial-up.

Just checked... I joined my email provider a year after the company was founded in 1996. At first they were my ISP but they also sold the email service alone, and when I left them as an ISP I kept the email service.

Edited by Rick Nightingale

13 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

LL doesn't want new customers I guess.

When I tested creating another account using my domain name yesterday, I got the same impression. I had to try and try and try seemingly forever, until I finally found a username that wasn't already taken. That's when I thought that LL doesn't want new people, because they make so very hard and frustrating for anyone to create an account. I am sure that a great many people would think "stuff this" and simply go away.

I also thought that LL made a huge mistake in doing away with last names. That's the reason why it's now so frustrating trying to come up with unique usernames. When we had last names, it was easy to come up with unique combinations, but not since then.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Phil Deakins said:

I had to try and try and try seemingly forever, until I finally found a username that wasn't already taken.

For what it's worth, many websites in the "old days" that let you create a username (or create an email account) were the same way.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 384 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.