Scam Alert - Please Becareful

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 443 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 minutes ago, MiaWasHacked said:

Well...I needed to submit my password or be logged out. I know! I know!

Silly me

I know Mia I read the thread and I am very sorry to hear that!  I know you submitted your password but I am wondering what are the general uses would people use this for?  If using this in a proper way and the person receives this, they would submit what....? (fill in the blank here).

I mean what does this script usually ask people to submit when it's not a scam is what I mean?

I'm asking the same question as Mia...what is this script used for?  And why submit?  Submit what? 

Edited by EliseAnne85

11 minutes ago, MiaWasHacked said:

That's what I asked too Elise. In over ten years I have never seen this popup. I thought it was some sort of system dialog.

LL should be able to trace your account.  They cannot change your username.  Even if the crooks deleted part of your account, LL may still be able to retrieve at least part of your account.  Did you file a ticket with LL?  

1 minute ago, EliseAnne85 said:

LL should be able to trace your account.  They cannot change your username.  Even if the crooks deleted part of your account, LL may still be able to retrieve at least part of your account.  Did you file a ticket with LL?  

Yes. I filed 2 tickets with LL support. Nothing but automated replies and tickets closed. My problem is I used an encrypted email (Proton) just for SL.  After years of not using it and several different computers I was unable to access my email to receive correspondence from SL or give them my secret phrase. If I could talk to a human there's things about my account i could tell them would probably prove I'm the rightful owner. But then again, the hacker could have all that information too.

1 hour ago, MiaWasHacked said:

I'm just bringing it here so it might prevent just one person from the grief of losing over 10 years of friends, landmarks, groups, and inventory. In all my time in SL I had never even seen this input popup. That's possibly just because of my habits in SL it was never displayed. 

You need to file a SUPPORT TICKET to LL.  Do you know how to do that?  They may be able to retrieve your account but not the Lindens.

Though, to me, this text box script seems useless and is dangerous because I'd like to know what this asks people to SUBMIT by writing in that box?  Most people in SL don't want to submit anything in there.  I cannot see a reason too.

You need to file a SUPPORT TICKET to LL.  Do you know how to do that?  They may be able to retrieve your account but not the Lindens.

Though, to me, this text box script seems useless and is dangerous because I'd like to know what this asks people to SUBMIT by writing in that box?  Most people in SL don't want to submit anything in there.  I cannot see a reason too.

I already filed 2 support tickets that were immediately closed because I don't have access to the email account I used for my SL account and couldn't answer the secret phrase.

3 minutes ago, MiaWasHacked said:

Yes. I filed 2 tickets with LL support. Nothing but automated replies and tickets closed. My problem is I used an encrypted email (Proton) just for SL.  After years of not using it and several different computers I was unable to access my email to receive correspondence from SL or give them my secret phrase. If I could talk to a human there's things about my account i could tell them would probably prove I'm the rightful owner. But then again, the hacker could have all that information too.

Here is a phone number I found by typing in "Second Life Phone Number" in my search engine.  I'd say CALL for sure.

How do I contact Second Life?

Second Life contact info: Phone number: (415) 243-9000 Website: www.secondlife.com What does Second Life do?

3 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

It's not. I've used it whenever sending gifts through vendors like Caspervend. It requires inputting the recipient's account name into the box to send the gift.

I also get text boxes when adding names into my security device's whitelist, managers, etc.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

It's not. I've used it whenever sending gifts through vendors like Caspervend. It requires inputting the recipient's account name into the box to send the gift.

I also get text boxes when adding names into my security device's whitelist, managers, etc.

Oh, I see.  I haven't needed to reset my security orb because I share a land with someone else who does that.  I haven't used one in quite awhile.  I forgot.  

So, it could possibly be rewritten to receive a name only in the text box maybe?  Or, scripts aren't that intuitive - yet, anyhow?  Because password is a name unless they try somehow to rewrite this thing.  

Edited by EliseAnne85
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

Oh, I see.  I haven't needed to reset my security orb because I share a land with someone else who does that.  I haven't used one in quite awhile.  I forgot.  

So, it could possibly be rewritten to receive a name only in the text box maybe?  Or, scripts aren't that intuitive - yet, anyhow?  Because password is a name unless they try somehow to rewrite this thing.  

I don't script (other than messing with particles), so I have no idea.

Speaking of particles, there's also a need for it to take numbers. I've had to enter RGB or HSL codes into a text box to tint my head and/or body using my HUDs. I do that often enough with Catwa, Maitreya, etc.

21 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

The gift one on Marketplace asks for recipient's first and last name.  Maybe a rewrite for inworld gifts needing two names might help as well as security orbs and it must be written out even if resident.  Will this help?  Anybody know?

Screenshot (1799).png

Edited by EliseAnne85

2 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

The gift one on Marketplace asks for recipient's first and last name.  Maybe a rewrite for inworld gifts needing two names might help as well as security orbs and it must be written out even if resident.  Will this help?  

Screenshot (1799).png

The in-world boxes always require the full account name (first and last, and not display) - otherwise it doesn't know who to send to/add. I've always needed to add "Resident." 

1 minute ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

The in-world boxes always require the full account name (first and last, and not display) - otherwise it doesn't know who to send to/add. I've always needed to add "Resident." 

Oh, never mind.  I'm tired.

It's not the name, it's what they trick one to write into the SUBMIT box if used as a password scammer.  

Gawd, I never have use for this text box.  I do now remember it for security orbs.  What irony!

17 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I don't script (other than messing with particles), so I have no idea.

Speaking of particles, there's also a need for it to take numbers. I've had to enter RGB or HSL codes into a text box to tint my head and/or body using my HUDs. I do that often enough with Catwa, Maitreya, etc.

Also, what it sounds like is a text box that mostly the owner of the object needs to write in, except for the gifts - the gift script the owner doesn't write in the text box, the sender of the gift does.  

11 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

Also, what it sounds like is a text box that mostly the owner of the object needs to write in, except for the gifts - the gift script the owner doesn't write in the text box, the sender of the gift does.  

It's got a lot of good uses. 

Far more common on the scam front are links cloaked to look as if they lead to the marketplace and they have you login that way. That's been going on for years now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

It's got a lot of good uses. 

Far more common on the scam front are links cloaked to look as if they lead to the marketplace and they have you login that way. That's been going on for years now.

Aside from security orbs, maybe I used it for Slink Feet RGB but I don't even remember how those worked exactly now.  But, I've never seen this text box thing in such a long time since someone else works the security on land I share.  

If they made it no modify, there could be one for gifts only, and one for objects for the owner of the object only.  I'm not a good scripter so that's all I could think of.  It seems an old fashioned script to me because I was thinking there is no information I will submit to someone else about me other than the middle finger solute.  I forgot about the gift thing to but if that is no modify, then it says it's for gifts.  

7 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

Aside from security orbs, maybe I used it for Slink Feet RGB but I don't even remember how those worked exactly now.  But, I've never seen this text box thing in such a long time since someone else works the security on land I share.  

If they made it no modify, there could be one for gifts only, and one for objects for the owner of the object only.  I'm not a good scripter so that's all I could think of.  It seems an old fashioned script to me because I was thinking there is no information I will submit to someone else about me other than the middle finger solute.  I forgot about the gift thing to but if that is no modify, then it says it's for gifts.  

If what is no modify? It's just LSL.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlTextBox

Nothing at all needs to change with it. It works as intended.

Gheez, same question over and over, its getting old.  Text boxes to enter information needed by a script is pretty common, and used in thousands of scripts.   I copy and paste a web site url into a text box in FS about 100 times a day.  You can also enter info through local chat when the script prompts you, and enter text info for a script on any channel it is listening on.  Scripts are not mind readers,  you need to tell them what they need.  The advantage of a text box is it that is is dedicated to just your answer.  Some also time out.  It is a basic function in SL.  

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

If what is no modify? It's just LSL.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlTextBox

Nothing at all needs to change with it. It works as intended.

No, I'm saying it would have to be re-written and then made no modify, meaning so one can't change the title to "Firestorm Just Logged You Out, Please Put in Your Password".   For gifts, couldn't it be re-written to say "Please Enter Gift Recipients Name and then Hit the SUBMIT Button" which would be no modify and no one could over-ride what it says there.  And, the other scripts where the owners write in stuff could perhaps be modified to be "only owner may write in text box" and then that would be no modify.  

I'm not a professional scripter, so yes what I'm saying was just thrown out there to see if this could be rewritten and then made no modify somehow.  Because I never have had use for this probably since Slink feet.  

Edited by EliseAnne85

No, I'm saying it would have to be re-written and then made no modify, meaning so one can't change the title to "Firestorm Just Logged You Out, Please Put in Your Password".   For gifts, couldn't it be re-written to say "Please Enter Gift Recipients Name and then Hit the SUBMIT Button" which would be no modify and no one could over-ride what it says there.  And, the other scripts where the owners write in stuff could perhaps be modified to be "only owner may write in text box" and then that would be no modify.  

I'm not a professional scripter, so yes what I'm saying was just thrown out there to see if this could be rewritten and then made no modify somehow.  Because I never have had use for this probably since Slink feet.  

It's an LSL function, so there's nothing to rewrite and there are no permissions attached.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

It's an LSL function, so there's nothing to rewrite and there are no permissions attached.

And, that can never change?  

I think this one may have a security breach because anything can be written in there.  It could get worse....

"Firestorm is Pausing Too Fast, Please Enter Password Before You Lose All Your Information", or things like that.  

If anything can be written and for people to then hit SUBMIT, that's high risk.  

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

And, that can never change?  

I think this one may have a security breach because anything can be written in there.  It could get worse....

"Firestorm is Pausing Too Fast, Please Enter Password Before You Lose All Your Information", or things like that.  

It's been around for as long as I can remember and is perfectly safe if one sticks to entering things like avatar names and RGB codes and not their password or anything sensitive like that. If you don't know where the box is coming from (on click is the most common method I've seen), then just click Ignore and enter nothing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EliseAnne85 said:

the problem is, people do get educated, but don't learn.
It's going around for many years : don't click things
what do some ?.. hey lets see what happens if i click there...

When  driving at the side of a channel, and you see a sign : go left HERE now ... you also don't but some will...and blame the sign, even when they see the water ...

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 443 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.