Name change

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 456 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So as of now, I am ''Subscribedd Resident''.

Subscribed is the first name, and Resident is the last name.

''Subscribed Resident'' is obviously not available, But if i changed it to ''Subscribed Suki'' or ''Subscribed [any last name] and it accepts it, will people just see ''Subscribed'' or will it also display the last name?

Edited by Subscribedd

2 minutes ago, Gwin LeShelle said:

It will also display the last name, but you can still change your display to just Subscribed and it's even free.

Note: in the forums only the usernames get displayed tho. 

so my username being Subscribedd Resident, but it only showing Subscribedd above my character, if i change it to Subscribed Suki the Suki will also appear above my head?

1 minute ago, Subscribedd said:

so my username being Subscribedd Resident, but it only showing Subscribedd above my character, if i change it to Subscribed Suki the Suki will also appear above my head?

Yep. Like look at my forums name it's with last name, because I am no "resident".

But you could go into your profile in world and change your DISPLAY name that's like a nickname. Then it would show Subscribed above your head and smaller below that your real username.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Subscribedd said:

Yes, Suki will replace Resident as your last name and be displayed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Gwin LeShelle said:

Yep. Like look at my forums name it's with last name, because I am no "resident".

But you could go into your profile in world and change your DISPLAY name that's like a nickname. Then it would show Subscribed above your head and smaller below that your real username.

I truly appreciate your help thank you.

I was under the impression since i was ''Subscribedd Resident'' and it only showed my first name, if  changed it to a different last name and proper spelling of my first name it wouldnt show the last name

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Subscribedd said:

I truly appreciate your help thank you.

I was under the impression since i was ''Subscribedd Resident'' and it only showed my first name, if  changed it to a different last name and proper spelling of my first name it wouldnt show the last name

In second life there are two different ways of names, your USERname. The one you log in with etc. And you can also set a DISPLAYname. That display doesn't care if someone else is already using it. 

When you look in world you see many people with one name above their username. 

That way you could become Subscribed with no last name, for free. At least as display name. 

Edited by Gwin LeShelle
Ugh English x3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Gwin LeShelle said:

In the second life there are two different ways of names, you USERname. The one you log in with etc. And you can also set a DISPLAYname. That display doesn't care if someone else is already using it. 

When you look I world you see many people with one name above the there username. 

That way you could become Subscribed with no last name, for free. At least as display name. 

I appreciate you ladies so much!

• Like 2

All of this is subjective of course, because some users set their viewers to show usernames only, some set them to show display names only, and some show both. 

My username is Maitimo and my display name is Matti McKenna Some people will see only Maitimo, some will see only Matti McKenna, and some will see both.

You can't really choose what other people will see, especially if you use a display name that's different from your username. But yes, if you change your last name from Resident to Suki (or anything else), the Suki part will show in the username section, to those who have chosen to view usernames.

8 hours ago, AzureWaves said:

I view legacy names only

There are different school of thoughts on that.

I view display name only (it defaults to username if no display name is set), since residents now have to choose a unique username, that ends up being whatever1234, meaning it does not resemble a name but a unique credential to log in with. 

4 hours ago, Livi Pixelbottom said:

I view display name only (it defaults to username if no display name is set), since residents now have to choose a unique username, that ends up being whatever1234, meaning it does not resemble a name but a unique credential to log in with. 

And when you try to conduct business with them without ever knowing/remembering their legacy name, it could be difficult. People send gifts to the wrong people all the time, because they use Display name.

4 hours ago, Livi Pixelbottom said:

It's also just plain annoying when they use unrecognizable fonts.   If they do, I definitely call them by their username.

8 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

It's also just plain annoying when they use unrecognizable fonts.   If they do, I definitely call them by their username.

After the change (I read about somewhere) to allow floating text with Emojis, I wonder if display names will be possible with emojis?

"Just call me eggplant-banana-baseball bat".

Edited by Love Zhaoying
? not !
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, AzureWaves said:

And when you try to conduct business with them without ever knowing/remembering their legacy name, it could be difficult. People send gifts to the wrong people all the time, because they use Display name.

I meant in terms of addressing the person, not interact with them in a financial way. I should've clarified.

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

t's also just plain annoying when they use unrecognizable fonts.   If they do, I definitely call them by their username.

Same. I don't pay respect to any chosen name, if it is eligible (and to me most of the non latin letters are) on purpose. I do respect character sets like hangul and kanji, though.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:
3 hours ago, AzureWaves said:

People send gifts to the wrong people all the time, because they use Display name.

thats why everywhere is told/written/warned use username instead of display ... 

Wow! I should change my display name to someone popular, so I get free gifts from their admirers!

• Haha 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 456 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.