bought some hair, but how do I "use" it?

VexDarkness

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 453 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Β  Β The hair itself in the Lilak folder is the second object from the top ('-FABIA- Mesh Hair Gift < Lilak>', just above the texture). The other objects are HUDs for changing the colour.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

Add, not Wear, just to be clear for the OP.

Wonders what wear is for? Usually it's an option to avoid at all costs but to new people they just click and click it as I and everyone else has done. Should the button say never click this always click add?Β 

Edited by benchthis

45 minutes ago, benchthis said:

Wonders what wear is for? Usually it's an option to avoid at all costs but to new people they just click and click it as I and everyone else has done. Should the button say never click this always click add?Β 

This has been discussed quite a bit. My issue with Wear is that it removes/replaces anything else on that attachment point without telling you it's going to. I'd prefer we stuck with one term (add, wear, or something else) and that term functioned like Add.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, benchthis said:

It's mostly for the main four system parts that make up our system avatars.. skin, shape, eyes, hair/browbase..Mainly because you have to replace those rather than add and detach..

What they need to really do is move them a little away from each other.. I can't count how many times my cursor and slipped when I went to click add andΒ  hit wear instead..

Great!! Now I gotta go see what in the heck just got knocked off! \o/

hehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 2

Wear is a relic of the old SL before we had so many mesh attachments. You can see it in the case of things like socks, undershirts, skin etc. where you can sometimes only "wear" ONE of the item.

SL avatars has a limited number of attachment points, and if two things use the same attachment point, then using wear will replace the one currently attached with the one you've selected with "wear." Since people sometimes attach things to attachment point willy nilly, or attach all their mesh to the same attachment point, this can be confusing since, for example, shoes may attach to the right hand, but a ring might also attach to the right hand, meaning if a newbie tries to put both items on at the same time, one would remove the other...

Add, on the other hand, will add a mesh item to an attachment point without removing the currently attached item.

This means that add actually has its own pitfalls, as some new players may expect that if they put shoes on, it will remove the old shoes, and so then you can end up with players who have several pairs of shoes or hairs etc. attached at once through use of "add."

Basically, they both have their own uses + advantages/disadvantages. Especially with all of the user marketplace mesh and attachments (not knocking them, of course!), SL has quite the learning curve IMO, and the less you know about tech, the steeper the curve.

Edited by ohdarlingxx
further detail lol
  • Like 2

On 3/1/2023 at 6:55 AM, Orwar said:

Β  Β The hair itself in the Lilak folder is the second object from the top ('-FABIA- Mesh Hair Gift < Lilak>', just above the texture). The other objects are HUDs for changing the colour.

Ah yes, there we go!Β  It worked, but doesn't fit exactly.Β  How can I adjust it?Β  Thanks!!

13 hours ago, VexDarkness said:

Ah yes, there we go!Β  It worked, but doesn't fit exactly.Β  How can I adjust it?Β  Thanks!!

Try left clicking on the hair to see if you get a blue drop down window with resize options.. That or see if there is an option in one of the huds.. Is there a style hud that came with it? Sometimes they'll have resizing options in those..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Thanks 1

On 3/3/2023 at 8:25 AM, Katherine Heartsong said:

The other thing to do with a Lelutka head is to open the HUD and turn off Scalp. That will often help depending on where the scalp is showing through the hair.

I can't seem to find the head hud for the avatar.Β  She's the Elleria female vampire hunter base avatar. Can you give me some tips?

@Katherine Heartsong

4 hours ago, VexDarkness said:

I can't seem to find the head hud for the avatar.Β  She's the Elleria female vampire hunter base avatar. Can you give me some tips?

@Katherine Heartsong

If it's an all-in-one avatar, then no, sorry. I was assuming it was a body plus a Lelutka head. The Lelutka head HUDs have a toggle setting where you can hide the scalp, which helps under longer hairs that are too small and have the scalp peeking through the hair.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, VexDarkness said:

@Katherine Heartsong

You can use a scalp alpha that will hide it.Β  Search your inventory as I'm not sure if any of the library avatars include them.Β  It should say alpha and look like a grid pattern.Β  There may be some free ones on MP.

• Like 2

On 3/5/2023 at 8:23 AM, Katherine Heartsong said:

If it's an all-in-one avatar, then no, sorry. I was assuming it was a body plus a Lelutka head. The Lelutka head HUDs have a toggle setting where you can hide the scalp, which helps under longer hairs that are too small and have the scalp peeking through the hair.

No worries!Β  Thanks!

• Like 1

On 3/5/2023 at 11:14 AM, Rowan Amore said:

You can use a scalp alpha that will hide it.Β  Search your inventory as I'm not sure if any of the library avatars include them.Β  It should say alpha and look like a grid pattern.Β  There may be some free ones on MP.

Great, thank you!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 453 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.