Bring back Ratings!! - A Proposal

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 572 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Yep. I'll take the noobs any day

Problem is...

90% of these ancient noobs left in despair when land prices fell in 2009, and half the ones who stayed, became perma-noobs who still talk worthless dreck, over a decade later and dont get local chat from younger accounts because...

They are not worth talking to.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zalificent said:

There's a club night I often go to on Fridays and Saturdays, that I often go to... It's a lively active place for 4 hours.

I would NEVER share the slurl for the place with YOU...

Based off your posting history, and the positions you take, the friend who runs the place would punt kick you in seconds, then ask me why I invited you...

Your overentitlement is showing, don't assume that a thread about encouraging local chat is a place for you to score places to visit.

Awesome reply! Kind of like, "we'd tell you, but are afraid you'd show up there!"

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Haha 1

General chat is more than likely not used as much because of the lack of actual new users entering and staying on the grid.. Let alone the decline in places to be social.. By that I mean all the places that had the larger crowds.. There is a few now compared to what there once was..

It's much easier for many people to walk into a large group of people and interact than it is the smaller groups that have  cornered themselves off to where someone newer might feel like they are interrupting..

Rather than walking into a place that feels like downtown on a busy day and anyone could be here, it feels more like walking into a tribal meeting where everyone knows everyone else..

Plus group chats are  much more active for products and people have grown more custom to just popping up in those with saying Hi, rather than actually having something going on with their product they bought..It's hard to believe  how many  product chats have cliques hanging in them waiting to swoop in and compete to give the right answer, no matter if it's the right answer or not, leaving the person looking for help , more confused than they were before they got there.. hehehe

One on ones with IM's happen more often rather than talking to the whole room, because there is always that one person or that one crowd that is going to find something you said offensive or worth arguing about.. That's not even counting the troll factor and other reasons.

Rather than walk on eggshells people  take it to IM's to feel someone out to see where the boundaries are..Why risk it.. hehehe

Also, Just look at the actual real world and how people communicate..It pretty much mimics that.. Everyone in the same room on their phones talking to someone else that isn't there or texting to someone in the same house rather than getting off their butt to go down the hall to say something.

Anyone that is an older resident already has their own rules for doing what they do, a lot of times you don't have to look any farther than their profile about how to communicate.. Some have such long list of rules it's a wonder if they ever get an IM.. hehehe

I don't think it's one thing that will fix people getting back to general chat, if it's even possible and it sure wasn't one thing that made it less popular..

It's where things have evolved or devolved to, however you want to look at it.. Each thing  giving that little push  or bump to where we are now.

The push in different areas has been towards getting away from the crowd and becoming more tribal, rather than more open and welcoming. 

Honestly, I don't think this world will be around long enough to fix getting back to how social things used to be..It would be a lot of things changing over time.. Things just take forever to change on the grid..

We hear about something coming and it could be two years before we see it.. hehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

General chat is more than likely not used as much because

I think one obvious and not always spelled-out reason for less general chat is, it is difficult for multiple conversations to happen at the same time because of "cross-talk" from other nearby conversations.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I think one obvious and not always spelled-out reason for less general chat is, it is difficult for multiple conversations to happen at the same time because of "cross-talk" from other nearby conversations.  

Ya, I mean just the spam that goes on with it even when you are alone.. It's cluttered to death..

Then add in gesture spam and the local advertising.. if there is an open space, someone is filling it with something even if nobody else is using it.. hehehe

5 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Ya, I mean just the spam that goes on with it even when you are alone.. It's cluttered to death..

Then add in gesture spam and the local advertising.. if there is an open space, someone is filling it with something even if nobody else is using it.. hehehe

I wonder how soon before someone starts spamming those places with ads for the new dating app, etc.!

Do they get spammed by LL ads for Premium+ and Bellissaria? That would be funny! (3D pictures showing up every so often, partially obscuring your view, trying to get you to "Click here!")

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I wonder how soon before someone starts spamming those places with ads for the new dating app, etc.!

Do they get spammed by LL ads for Premium+ and Bellissaria? That would be funny! (3D pictures showing up every so often, partially obscuring your view, trying to get you to "Click here!")

I don't really know what it's like on the official viewer, but I bet it gets pretty bad at times, since  it has everything  turned on by default..

With that blocky  chat they have, it probably just zips by at first...

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I don't really know what it's like on the official viewer, but I bet it gets pretty bad at times, since  it has everything  turned on by default..

With that blocky  chat they have, it probably just zips by at first...

On topic: These "dumb parties" that are a "reward" for Ratings - wouldn't they have the chaotic, hard-to-follow chat?

That raises the question for me:  How are we supposed to "be more sociable", leading to "more retention", if we cannot abide by the chaotic, hard-to-follow chat in most "sociable" venues?

One of the areas at shop and hop had a bunch of people talking in local yesterday. That was unusual for me because mostly it was just people browsing and shopping by themselves. I didn't expect that, but was nice. A store I went to later in the day had a good 45-50 some people there, plenty of conversation, and none of it about the store or shopping. Two different clubs I went to 25-35 or so people most of the time, lots of local chat, and at least one the music wasn't good, so those people were just there because they enjoy the place and being social. It might not be what it once was, but it's still something. It should still count as something. 

Sandbox I was in had only a few people, since usually does, but you can still be social with only a few people if you try. Especially if someone accidentally drops a house on your head, makes good conversation starter.

I'm sure it will never be what it once was, it can't. I'm sure ll can probably do a lot better at making it better, but so can people. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

On topic: These "dumb parties" that are a "reward" for Ratings - wouldn't they have the chaotic, hard-to-follow chat?

That raises the question for me:  How are we supposed to "be more sociable", leading to "more retention", if we cannot abide by the chaotic, hard-to-follow chat in most "sociable" venues?

I can keep track of the chat better in the older v1 style than that newer block chat.. it just seems like there is more space in between what is being said.. So if something is getting spammy in chat, I don't see how someone could keep track..

I have mine set up for colors for certain things also, which I don't know about the official one..

But ya, it seems more a clutter field,  unless you learn how to filter things out.. Newer users aren't going to figure that out right away..

3 minutes ago, Caeruleiae said:

I'm sure it will never be what it once was, it can't.

Now that we're in the age of "please text me, never call"..not sure if that helps or hurts social interactions in places like Second Life?

2 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I can keep track of the chat better in the older v1 style than that newer block chat.. it just seems like there is more space in between what is being said.. So if something is getting spammy in chat, I don't see how someone could keep track..

I have mine set up for colors for certain things also, which I don't know about the official one..

But ya, it seems more a clutter field,  unless you learn how to filter things out.. Newer users aren't going to figure that out right away..

Are there options for "make the text for every user in chat a different color"? I only just now thought of that. (I only use the SL viewer.)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Now that we're in the age of "please text me, never call"..not sure if that helps or hurts social interactions in places like Second Life?

Are there options for "make the text for every user in chat a different color"? I only just now thought of that. (I only use the SL viewer.)

This is the ones for chat in FS, I don't know if they are the same in the official viewer or not.. I only go in there to compare something or if I'm trying to help someone not on FS..

I don't think there is an individual color for each person option..

For chat messages there is,

My text, Friends, System, Owner, Direct, Others, Linden  Errors, URLs, Objects, Muted, Object IM's, URL Query Part.

Chat headers there is two,

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

This is the ones for chat in FS, I don't know if they are the same in the official viewer or not.. I only go in there to compare something or if I'm trying to help someone not on FS..

I don't think there is an individual color for each person option..

For chat messages there is,

My text, Friends, System, Owner, Direct, Others, Linden  Errors, URLs, Objects, Muted, Object IM's, URL Query Part.

Chat headers there is two,

I think it would be very helpful to have each individual a different chat color (up to some maximum # colors, of course).  At least for people who can see colors.

2 minutes ago, Caeruleiae said:

[…] It might not be what it once was, but it's still something. It should still count as something. 

Sandbox I was in had only a few people, since usually does, but you can still be social with only a few people if you try. Especially if someone accidentally drops a house on your head, makes good conversation starter.

I'm sure it will never be what it once was, it can't. I'm sure ll can probably do a lot better at making it better, but so can people. 

It absolutely does count. Such spontaneous, unexpected conversations are whence SL memories arise, and friendships, and collaborations. Not that we go in with such high-falutin' intentions: the serendipity is the point.

Even in real life, designing socially conducive settings is more alchemy than science. Long before COVID work-from-home, office designs built in spaces for people to spontaneously encounter one another—with anything but predictable results. (Anyone claiming back-to-the-office will promote collaborative innovation is blowing smoke.)

It doesn't have to be "what it once was", for sure. I just wish I knew practical steps LL and residents could take to make it better—even just enough better that SL might again retain some of those dreaded screaming noobs.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I think it would be very helpful to have each individual a different chat color (up to some maximum # colors, of course).  At least for people who can see colors.

The NUX could actually improve things as well.. If you think about it, when people first land, they are pushed to the assembly line of products with advertisement the moment they get out of the start areas..Heck some of the privately owned ones, Adds are the first thing they are introduced to.. Set your Free mesh avatar up today!  Then some unreachable level of avatars in the add..

Those products lead them right to the product groups, rather than  heading off to socialize.. Then spend time troubleshooting and asking for help with those, then it's off to get things for it and then to the events and bam, here we are..

Most want a nice looking avatar before they put themselves out there.. A nice starter avatar can help with getting them to the socializing before the assembly line if they go that way..

ETA: The problem that can come from that is, US.. Us telling them they need to get this or that and get out of that Noob looking starter avatar..

Hopefully those dev kits pay off and defeat a lot of that chatter..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

When there are large Dinkie and Tiny events of 30, 40, 50 or more avatars, local chat can be difficult to follow but, imo, still fun.  

The thing is I went to the party to talk to everyone at least a few lines here or there or to acknowledge someone with an answer in local chat.  We all don't get together in large groups like that all the time, so I don't get to see everyone all the time, so that's why I'm in local, even if it's chaotic, because I want to chat a little with everyone.  

It's not always that way though as we do get together in smaller groups, and *if* that happened through ratings parties they would be able to talk in smaller groups in local chat.

The thing with the ratings parties is it would cost more in tips for the Dj, then for the whole 120 linden one could make in one month.  The making 120 lindens defeats itself by having parties, unless all the Dj's volunteer for free.  

And, to Ceka's point above how group chat can be awkward when places seem to be made up of more people who know each other and are somewhat like a "tribe".  I faced that becoming a Dinkie, but I knew I had to get started someone...so I just started talking.  There is no other way.  Some human places can be snobby though or far too engrossed in their flirting to accept any kind of other topics other than flirting.  Dinkies/ Tinies don't flirt, we talk variety.  I know one Tiny out of thousands who flirts but that's with his rl partner and it's cute.  

Edited by EliseAnne85
needing fixing from nuts to tacos
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Perhaps if Chat had an option to tag like, "@someone" so they would get a different notification or chat color.

That is a fairly modernish feature that we have in the Forums, in Outlook emails, etc..

How many nano seconds do you think would pass after the introduction of such a moronic feature and some scripter writing a greeter spam thing to abuse it?

"Welcome to World of Spam @[your name here], enjoy your nano-second long stay at our ven... Oh @[your name here], you TP'd out again already..."

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Zalificent said:

How many nano seconds do you think would pass after the introduction of such a moronic feature and some scripter writing a greeter spam thing to abuse it?

"Welcome to World of Spam @[your name here], enjoy your nano-second long stay at our ven... Oh @[your name here], you TP'd out again already..."

Feature idea: Only allow it to work from actual "Agents", not "scripted objects".  Unfortunately, that probably means the dreaded "bots" could use it too (since they are "scripted agents").

• Sad 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 572 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.