Bring back Ratings!! - A Proposal

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 482 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

That will never happen, imo.  It's a griefer's tool and could cost LL far too much to ever let that happen.  People can make a special area about a person and write their feelings in their PICKS area.

Couldn't you write things that showed up in other people's "Profile Feed" at one point? I never used that, so am not sure.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Do you really think that "reviews" are going to give people something to feel good about? Have you ever read Virtual Secrets. Sure...why not bring that trash INTO Second Life.  Giving ratings and reviews are NOT social interaction.

Here's the concept:

- You can only give positive Ratings.

- You can only give a "Review/Comments" if you give a Rating.

Since you can only give positive Ratings, why would anyone give a positive Rating just to leave a negative Review/Comment? I guess it could happen..

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Keep in mind, the original proposal has absolutely no option for "down-voting", "negative Ratings", etc. Only "positive" Ratings. 

I think several in the thread have assumed there was an option for "negative Ratings" - there is not.

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Couldn't you write things that showed up in other people's "Profile Feed" at one point? I never used that, so am not sure.

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

Here's the concept:

Since you can only give positive Ratings, why would anyone give a positive Rating just to leave a negative Review/Comment? I guess it could happen..

If you can write your own free style comment... It's a griefer-tech downvoting stalker fest from hell.

You can leave comments on peoples profiles, but only YOU can see what you typed.

You can only leave comments on web feeds if the feed owner allows it.

Why give you a 1 point upvote and a 9 point down comment? Because they are hateful griefer trash stalkers from hell...

If you don't use SL enough to know how anything works... Maybe you should check before commenting.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zalificent said:

If you don't use SL enough to know how anything works... Maybe you should check before commenting.

Be nice. 

Those things I was uncertain about - I doubt most people use them. I "asked" instead of assuming how it works, in reply.

At least, "please try to be nice".

Just now, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I'm still not seeing why this particular solution is needed. People are out socializing already. What would profile ratings do to help them organize and find each other?

Although I don't agree with this particular method for promoting socializing, there is definitely a lack of it inworld. I can't count the number of clubs I have been to where local chat is totally dead for hours at a time and even in IM with a small minority of others, find out that many of their IM invites to chat are ignored. Where do you see this socializing taking place inworld?

5 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I'm still not seeing why this particular solution is needed. People are out socializing already. What would profile ratings do to help them organize and find each other?

I think some of the tl;dr and "too many posts" indicated..social engagement = user retention?

Edited by Love Zhaoying

8 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Here's the concept:

It could most definitely happen.  Leave it alone, Love.  It could spell the demise of SL as much of social media is mean-spirited and makes kids depressed from new studies.  

• Thanks 2

Just now, EliseAnne85 said:

It could most definitely happen.  Leave it alone, Love.  It could spell the demise of SL as much of social media is mean-spirited and makes kids depressed from new studies.  

Yep, I won't "push" at all, was just explaining the suggestion. 

Thanks!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Yep, I won't "push" at all, was just explaining the suggestion. 

Thanks!

If one makes a suggestion...

And the response is an angry mob gathering with pitch forks, burning torches, barrels of hot tar, sacks of feathers, and a hemp rope...

Assume that "an explanation of why the bad bits are not that bad" isn't needed as much as a "retraction of the whole mess".

... and use of the fastest horse in town... ;)

Edited by Zalificent

4 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Although I don't agree with this particular method for promoting socializing, there is definitely a lack of it inworld. I can't count the number of clubs I have been to where local chat is totally dead for hours at a time and even in IM with a small minority of others, find out that many of their IM invites to chat are ignored. Where do you see this socializing taking place inworld?

I can tell you where SL is very, very active, it's with the Dinkies and Tinies at Raglan Shire.  We often have the sim limit of tinies/Dinkies of 90 avis and sometimes have to push to two sims for certain yearly events.  However, I don't know what's up with humans lately.  Dinkies and Tinies are not human but humans are welcome and are called "Friends of the Shire".  However, it pretty much is about 90% tinies/Dinkie, 10% other - human, mermaid, dragon, etc.  Probably not your scene if looking for human only. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

I can tell you where SL is very, very active, it's with the Dinkies and Tinies at Raglan Shire.

As of writing this, there are 4 avatars in the 8 regions of that community. I'm sure there's more when there are events on, but that's not what I'd call 'very, very active'. There's more people currently sailing/flying in the Snugs channel, and it's a restarts day.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Orwar said:

As of writing this, there are 4 avatars in the 8 regions of that community. I'm sure there's more when there are events on, but that's not what I'd call 'very, very active'. There's more people currently sailing/flying in the Snugs channel, and it's a restarts day.

I'd have to say well, the Shire's activity has gone down a bit since the war.  However, the main group to join is Small Talk.  Small Talk group has a calendar and is one of the main places to send out notices for all of the Dinkie/Tiny sims including Raglan Shire.  However, Raglan Shire sends out it's notices too.  I mentioned Raglan Shire as it's a good place to start for those who might like to start somewhere.  But, Small Talk group sends out the notices for ALL the Dinkie/Tiny events.  It is a very active group, but not all happening 24/7.  Some of the events are very cool - Mardi Gras parade with floats made by the Dinkies and Tinies and a big after party, Wootstock, Dinkie's Got Talent, The Crazy Circus, the yearly Medieval Ball all gather huge crowds is what I was talking about with the very, very active.  How many at the 18th Annual Medieval Ball last year - about 102.  

Edited by EliseAnne85
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Where do you see this socializing taking place inworld?

Everywhere I go?  Can't say I recall an instance recently where I've sent an IM and it was ignored.  When I'm out, I'm out to socialize.  It's never been an issue for me even though I'm not fond of most people.  If someone has social anxiety or some other reason why socializing is a problem, a rating system isn't going to make that any better.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

One thing that the Dinkies and Tinies have is a centralized group called Small Talk where events for all the Dinkie/Tiny sims can send out notices.  This helps with needing less groups.  I don't know how humans could take that calendar idea and combine groups into one more common group of many sims the way Dinkies and Tinies do.  But, it could help, for certain activities - boating being one.  Dinkies and Tinies have boating, yatching events too but those events would be announced thru the central group Small Talk which is for all events.  

As far as socializing and this proposal, I'd rather see SL implement things that are exciting.  This proposal just isn't.  SL needs a new "Gacha", imo.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Give ratings on people's ERP?  😄

This would be hilarious, if everyone could rate

-1+ for being the worst pickup line I've ever seen

-1+ for being able to type oo ahh mm to seven different people at the same time

-1+ for forgetting we had this exact conversation two weeks ago and you already forgot

-1+ for managing all that with the tiniest virtual part I've ever seen

None are downvotes, they all still get a vote, right? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Caeruleiae said:

-1+ for forgetting we had this exact conversation two weeks ago and you already forgot

That's the concept I was suggesting, yes!

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Nothing, which is why it's a bad idea. I think some people struggle to see, or acknowledge, that people are out there socializing. Maybe those people aren't out socializing themselves so they don't see it. But I see it all the time, people do get out there, socialize just fine. When people come here or groups in world looking for places to go, they get answers, they find places. I know sometimes it's hard to find good places to go, but they are out there and people do socialize. It's harder for people who have a hard time talking to others, I know because it's something I have a hard time with a lot and have to take myself out of my own zone to do it sometimes. But acting like people aren't out there engaging and socializing isn't accurate. People are, just probably not where those who think they aren't are going. If you hang out at shopping places, you might find less socializing. Sometimes not, but a lot of times yes. If you go to clubs, sandboxes, new people friendly places, game lands, fishing places, there's a lot.

I don't think sl struggles with this issue, at all. The destination guide sucks, but from what I've read it has always sucked, so that's not much of a surprise. Maybe that's another area ll can work on. Personally I think ll just has all the wrong people in all the wrong positions and they have a problem with plugged up ears. I think that's their main problem, stuffed up ears and stubborn heads. They don't listen. 

36 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Everywhere I go?  Can't say I recall an instance recently where I've sent an IM and it was ignored.  When I'm out, I'm out to socialize.  It's never been an issue for me even though I'm not fond of most people.  If someone has social anxiety or some other reason why socializing is a problem, a rating system isn't going to make that any better.

Are you socializing in local or just sending IM's? That's what is being discussed here, the lack of socializing in Local.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I should say I wasn't being serious that we should do that, just that it would be hilarious. I think the whole idea is bad, but if it were put in place with the rating thing allowed, that's what would happen and it would be funny. People would put all kinds of weird things in there if they could, good and bad. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Where do you see this socializing taking place inworld?

I see it lots of places I go. If I stand around like a dead potato, though, where everyone else is also a dead potato, then none of it happens. Sometimes it's hard to be the one that starts up a local chat, and I'm not up for it, but when I am, it nearly always works. Just bring up a topic more people have something to say about. Weather, food, the music, whatever activity we're engaged in like fishing and stuff.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Here's the concept:

2 hours ago, Zalificent said:

If you can write your own free style comment... It's a griefer-tech downvoting stalker fest from hell.

You can leave comments on peoples profiles, but only YOU can see what you typed.

You can only leave comments on web feeds if the feed owner allows it.

Why give you a 1 point upvote and a 9 point down comment? Because they are hateful griefer trash stalkers from hell...

14 minutes ago, Caeruleiae said:

9 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

And THIS is why your idea needs to be set on fire with white phosphorus and dropped off a cliff into a lake of boiling acid...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Caeruleiae said:

I see it lots of places I go. If I stand around like a dead potato, though, where everyone else is also a dead potato, then none of it happens. Sometimes it's hard to be the one that starts up a local chat, and I'm not up for it, but when I am, it nearly always works. Just bring up a topic more people have something to say about. Weather, food, the music, whatever activity we're engaged in like fishing and stuff.

Oh I know how though it is significantly more challenging in S/L than other worlds I visit, but like you hint at, why should it be up to the few to do so? And please list a few places where you see this "lots"? I will go check them out.

2 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

find out that many of their IM invites to chat are ignored.

6 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Are you socializing in local or just sending IM's? That's what is being discussed here, the lack of socializing in Local.

I was speaking to this obviously.  However, since the places I go are regular haunts, if there is chat going on in local, I may join in depending on what the topic is.  2 places I go, there's usually a few people talking in local.  It's never been my preferred method of socializing and to a lot of people, I'd assume it's the same.  As I mentioned in another thread, I don't walk into a social place in RL and talk to everyone in the room at the same time which is what Local chat in SL feels like.  I like discussions that mimic sitting at a table with another person and chit chatting.  Like I'd do in RL.  Hence, why I prefer IM.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I was speaking to this obviously.  However, since the places I go are regular haunts, if there is chat going on in local, I may join in depending on what the topic is.  2 places I go, there's usually a few people talking in local.  It's never been my preferred method of socializing and to a lot of people, I'd assume it's the same.  As I mentioned in another thread, I don't walk into a social place in RL and talk to everyone in the room at the same time which is what Local chat in SL feels like.  I like discussions that mimic sitting at a table with another person and chit chatting.  Like I'd do in RL.  Hence, why I prefer IM.

And yet with 15,700 posts in a  "public" forum, I'd point out you do regularly what you don't do inworld. Why is that? (rhetorical question)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 482 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.