Script generator

LegitBonzai

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 100 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Since my scripting is really bad. And i dont want to keep paying for scripters all the time.. Sometimes for simple things.
I wonder if there is a script generator. And i am not talking about a Con Wylie's Script Generator

Back in the days. I use to use https://s4sl.blogspot.com/
This generator always worked fine for me. Even when people told me this generator is outdated and doesnt work in sl anymore.

See i simply cannot find enough time to learn myself LSL.

Does anyone has some tips for me on this?

Edited by LegitBonzai

Yeah, when I said "hope for the best," the emphasis was on hope.

It can write simple scripts, here's an example with your "click counter" post:

image.png.cffae5fecacdcd6a6be2a97bce1ec5fc.png

So far so good, but its response continues with wrong information and an alternative script that I know will not do what it says:

image.png.f601eaf8196ecad5a5cb09d6dfd3ac64.png

So I ask a slightly different question, and it gives a correct script followed by completely false information:

image.thumb.png.82a2b40d61c8cf88860938d66ba0c4f4.png

It won't elaborate how it came to its conclusion, instead it'll come up with more wrong information:

image.png.d31392d0f9cc623af604d4186eaa88e7.png

It'll even make up links to wiki pages that don't exist, correct itself when you point out it's wrong, and then immediately change its answer (with more made-up stuff) if you question it:

image.png.f593e4938920562b3a06f7e1b427ecc1.png
image.png.fa5f98518bbdf384c2739df4240c169e.png

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

• 11 months later...

Hello LegitBonzai,

I understand the current Script Generator I've built only outputs basic scripts.
Good for quick way to get, for example a dialog without having to remember all the options.
I do have plans (and had started) to create a more advanced Script Generator for Second Life, like the scratch.mit.edu editor.

However real life and work has been very busy so it's on the back burner.
I'll be sure to let you know when I get the advanced script generator finished and online :)

The 
LSL Portal was a good help to me in understanding what functions LSL offers and what they do. But you do need an understanding of programming to use them.
I was once part of a group called Learn Avatar, well over 10 years ago, which gave a plot of land in return you had to attend inworld lessons with others on building and scripting.
I found this a good way to learn as you could ask the teacher on parts you didn't understand. Not sure if there's any groups like this now.

Using what I learned at Learn Avatar, I'd create little projects that I thought would be interesting and slowly learned how to do more and more with LSL.

Kind regards,
Con Wylie

• Thanks 1

Hello,

This is a very good topic, and I also asked myself (multiple times) if it would be really useful to make a more advanced code generator :

• Scratch like is already programming oriented.
  • Natural language is the easiest way to express, but hardest to generate

So maybe having a mix of that: Have defined "natural language sentences" and be able to build from them, and customize some parts.

Then be able to add more sentences and related things to generate from them. Incremental way to add more features with time.

But is it possible?

Would anyone be interested in being part of it ?

Take Care

• Like 2

On 1/20/2024 at 9:14 PM, Con Wylie said:

Hello LegitBonzai,

I understand the current Script Generator I've built only outputs basic scripts.
Good for quick way to get, for example a dialog without having to remember all the options.
I do have plans (and had started) to create a more advanced Script Generator for Second Life, like the scratch.mit.edu editor.

However real life and work has been very busy so it's on the back burner.
I'll be sure to let you know when I get the advanced script generator finished and online :)

The 
LSL Portal was a good help to me in understanding what functions LSL offers and what they do. But you do need an understanding of programming to use them.
I was once part of a group called Learn Avatar, well over 10 years ago, which gave a plot of land in return you had to attend inworld lessons with others on building and scripting.
I found this a good way to learn as you could ask the teacher on parts you didn't understand. Not sure if there's any groups like this now.

Using what I learned at Learn Avatar, I'd create little projects that I thought would be interesting and slowly learned how to do more and more with LSL.

Kind regards,
Con Wylie

Dude. I dont think you realize how famous you are. So I feel very honored that you responded to my post!
It would be nice to see if you ever get such thing out. As i simply do not have the time myself to write any lsl. I wish i did.

I really hope you do not give up on this project.
If it's going to be a thing i am even willing to pay for it if it gets more advanced.

ItI feel very honored that you responded to my post

• Like 1

On 1/22/2024 at 7:44 PM, LegitBonzai said:

Dude. I dont think you realize how famous you are. So I feel very honored that you responded to my post!
It would be nice to see if you ever get such thing out. As i simply do not have the time myself to write any lsl. I wish i did.

I really hope you do not give up on this project.
If it's going to be a thing i am even willing to pay for it if it gets more advanced.

ItI feel very honored that you responded to my post

Thank you for your kindness LegitBonzai! 😁

The honor is all mine.
You made my day and I'm really glad you replied.
Now I know there's a few people wanting a more advanced generator I'll focus on getting it out.

I don't believe I'm famous, I've not met many people that have used the Script Generator. Although I haven't been on SL much in recent years.
I've been maintaining the Script Generator on my site in my free time, out of my own pocket (donations will always be welcome and help keep it up & running free for all).
I'm just happy to see it's of use to people and their creations.

As mentioned by LittleScripter Natural language would be great and Wulfie Reanimator talked about ChatGPT.
I'm sure someone out there could train an AI on LSL, however I've not worked on integrating AI but its a really interesting idea.

I've attached a screenshot for you of the current progress I've made on the advanced generator.
It's early days however it resembles scratch.mit. It's all web based and will hopefully be super simple to use.
The plan would to make it look nice, have the output code styled, loads of LSL functions etc.
It wont replace the current generator it'll be on a new url such as: conwylie.co.uk/editor but will let people know the url once its online.

Hope you have a great day.

Screenshot 2024-01-23 223329.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Coooool…!  I am glad someone actually did that.  I was going to at one point, even made a start on it (think I might have mentioned that in one of my earlier posts), but got distracted by another project.  I can scrub that idea off my TODO list now (I think it might be below the "TODO list horizon", though — that's the TODO list version of the cosmic horizon, the list goes on, but you'll never see any of it because items keep getting added above that point quicker than you can ever hope to check them off).

Edited by Bleuhazenfurfle
why do I always put a 'y' on 'ever'…?!?
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Bleuhazenfurfle said:

Coooool…!  I am glad someone actually did that.  I was going to at one point, even made a start on it (think I might have mentioned that in one of my earlier posts), but got distracted by another project.  I can scrub that idea off my TODO list now (I think it might be below the "TODO list horizon", though — that's the TODO list version of the cosmic horizon, the list goes on, but you'll never see any of it because items keep getting added above that point quicker than you can ever hope to check them off).

Do not give up on those kinda projects. These kind of things are very much needed. As a lot of people do not know how to code. Or simply just do not have the patient and or time for that.

So please.

The more people who work on these kinda things the better.

And maybe you could work together with con?

• Like 3

I'm just back here to reiterate how awesome and helpful programs like script generators are for people who - like me - can't grasp the language regardless of time spent studying.
I've put in years and years of actual and dedicated study to try and learn LSL...and I can barely make a prim move and die. People who are gifted with the ability to learn a new language (coding IS a language) often forget that other people may not have that same ability. Sometimes there are skills that never develop regardless of the effort put it.

Code generators help those of us who are scriptually challenged (lol) to realize some of our great ideas. It may not be pretty, but it gets the general idea out there and then we can approach gifted scripters like those that haunt these sacred forums - with a better idea of what we're trying to do. 

Please keep it up! ConWylie - I use your generator ALL the time.
Im using it right this very moment actually, to try and create a road-traffic script for my little city. It helps!

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mowri Panache said:

I've put in years and years of actual and dedicated study to try and learn LSL...and I can barely make a prim move and die. People who are gifted with the ability to learn a new language (coding IS a language) often forget that other people may not have that same ability. Sometimes there are skills that never develop regardless of the effort put it.

For my part, I don't forget that other people don't know how to code, but I will admit to not really understanding it.

I kind of do, I can't grok natural languages.  I know English reasonably well, but my attempts to learn anything else have likewise failed.  But that's because I have no memory, and natural languages make no sense.  Programming languages are simple and straight forward by comparison, so I don't get why anyone has any trouble with them.  🤪

• Like 1

It’s wild isn’t it? I am the exact opposite of you in that I love the intricacies of English and Latin-based languages (I can’t grasp the rest haha). Poetry, Literature and Art always came naturally to me but Math, Science and Tech don’t They scare and confuse me in the best way. haha. (Like how the bleep does a phone even work??? I know the theory of it, but how are sound waves changed in to digital signals, beamed up to space through thin air and then beamed BACK down to the person I’m talking to, and converted back in to sound waves that their brain can understand, in the same order, tone and cadence that I said it?! Magical wizardry!!!) 

I look at LSL, Python. HTML, and all that coding in the same wildly lost way. 

PS about magical phone waves: How is it that MY magic digitized voice info doesn’t get all tangled up with the hundreds of thousands of other magical digitized voices getting blasted around the airwaves at the exact same time. 

This is why I 💨 🌴 

Edited by Mowri Panache
  • Like 1

This thread is cool as poo. Looking forward to seeing more on this in the future, cos it's dern interesting.

I've never had much luck using any kind of helper programs for coding/scripting, and it's always felt kind of like learning some other program's language, so it can program in another language for me, which feels weird. But then, I am autistic.

I always, without fail, end up just having to learn a language the hard way, by trying to use it and failing until I become proficient enough that I can fart it out in my sleep.

But... A good conversation about such helper programs, being talked about by people who have made them and/or used them, is always fascinating to me. Because even learning to use a helper program is like learning a language, and learning how things work is always groovy. I like seeing people discuss these things.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 2

I actually spent a lot of time when custom GPT's were first released researching the best way to train them. I created a custom GPT for LSL that is trained off not just public available data such as the wiki itself but updates from the blog, deprecated methods, custom user functions and other sources I myself have collected over the years. I'm not saying it's perfect and even with all the data it might still venture out online and bring back false information. But the amount of testing I've done and with the help of other SL people who have tested this with me it has done 100x better than vanilla gpt 4. Of course feedback is encouraged since all feedback would be used to train it. 
https://chat.openai.com/g/g-8P0lGqMIy-lsl-guru

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

"Requires ChatGPT Plus"

Ahh yes forgot about that requirement. Well for those that have it. I hope they remove that limitation at some point. Otherwise the better route will be to just use a custom trained llm.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 100 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.