Intel or AMD...Nvidia or AMD

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 325 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Same question on "which computer" again😅.  I almost made up my mind for my new pc, with Intel CPU and AMD GPU.  However, after reading quite some posts here it seems many people have troubles with AMD cards, without definite solution except like limiting the frame rate, updating the drivers, reinstall...etc.  I want to go for AMD but really worry about possible issues with it

Build 1:                                                                           Build 2:

CPU:  i5-12400F                                                            CPU: i5-12400F

GPU:  AMD RX 6600-8G($249.95)                              Nvidia 3060-12G($379.99)

Ram: 16GB DDR4 3600(8GBx2)

So my question is, should I go for AMD or spend $130 extra for 3060, or maybe even ~$140 extra for 3060Ti.

p.s. Currently I'm using GTX 1070 with i5-9600K and SL is as smooth as it can get.

Edited by Mayou Tsuki
  • Like 2

Newer AMD GPUs work just as well. IMHO the only reason right now to go with Nvidia is if you simply must have advanced hardware ray tracing features, something SL doesn't utilize.

If you're a Linux user (as I am 99.9% of the time while in SL), AMD has the open source edge VS Nvidia*. Still, you can go with either brand. It all depends on what you do with your PC overall.

*I am firmly in the Intel/Nvidia camp right now, but am considering going all out with AMD for my next PC.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

Nvidia.

I have a feel someone would say that straight...even tho it's much more expensive 🙄 but I fell for it when I bought my 1070 just don't know if I should fall again 💢 The biggest caveat is pricing, yet this doesn't seem to fit SL environment 😅

2 hours ago, JeromFranzic said:

Newer AMD GPUs work just as well. IMHO the only reason right now to go with Nvidia is if you simply must have advanced hardware ray tracing features, something SL doesn't utilize.

If you're a Linux user (as I am 99.9% of the time while in SL), AMD has the open source edge VS Nvidia*. Still, you can go with either brand. It all depends on what you do with your PC overall.

*I am firmly in the Intel/Nvidia camp right now, but am considering going all out with AMD for my next PC.

I'm a pure window user and also on Intel/Nvidia side too but by looking at budget alternative AMD always comes on table(~35% cheaper), just is the possible extra hassle worthy...or not.  And I haven't even talked about AMD CPU😂

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mayou Tsuki said:

I have a feel someone would say that straight...even tho it's much more expensive 🙄 but I fell for it when I bought my 1070 just don't know if I should fall again 💢 The biggest caveat is pricing, yet this doesn't seem to fit SL environment 😅

I'm a pure window user and also on Intel/Nvidia side too but by looking at budget alternative AMD always comes on table(~35% cheaper), just is the possible extra hassle worthy...or not.  And I haven't even talked about AMD CPU😂

Haha OK, better to bring it up early though. AMD really has done a great job in leveraging better performance out of their recent GPU and CPU offerings. It'll be interesting to see if Intel actually produces dedicated GPUs that can compete with AMD and Nvidia, once their driver issues are sorted.

But anyway... 😏 I do think the 3060 is a good choice for a GPU. I'd prefer a 3070 or a 3080 from Nvidia in a new laptop, if I was upgrading from my 4.5 YO model with a 1050. 

• Like 2

I use the 3060 12gb (Asus version), and does a great job playing SL along with 11700k processor using a full hd monitor (1080p)... very smooth (I use the SL official viewer...), in synthetic benchmarks seems like in most games, performance is the same (or slightly higher) compared to the 6600XT (available on the internet)... what seems to be a nice to have, is the 120W power usage with the 6600xt (advertised) compared to the 170W for the 3060.... maybe someone that actually uses a 6600XT with the new drivers AMD would have more to add...

I tried AMD (model from about 2 generations ago), it lasted less than a hour installed in my machine... some games were ok, lots of issues with others, noise...., not to count Blender support for AMD was not that great at that time.... I just returned and got the NVidia 1060... luckily enough, the Nvidia equivalent was almost the same price and was on a sale due to a new generation launch (RTX 2000 series), for me, even if it was more expensive, it would be well worth the cost compared to dealing with issues, tweaking, change this, change that.... (In summary my short experience with AMD was disappointing... I still have the 970, 1060, 1080 and now 3060, they all worked great for me, not only playing SL )

Btw, according to rumors, most of the 4000-series is set to launch in January 2023, so you may find the 3060 cheaper than what you can find today, or even get the 4060 hopefully for the same price...  specially if you have a store like MicroCenter (US) nearby...

Edited by Andred Darwin
  • Like 1

For OpenGL applications/games, and therefore for the SL viewers, NVIDIA beats AMD hands down in performances (at equivalent card prices), and its OpenGL drivers are also 100% OpenGL compatible (meaning no need for ”workarounds” in the code like what happens with AMD and Intel drivers).

The RTX 3060 will work like a charm for SL and with such a powerful card, the bottleneck will be on the CPU side anyway (for a given CPU generation, the more GHz on the CPU core running the viewer main thread, the more fps you will get; the improvement is proportional to the the frequency increase). So I'd use part of the $140 you considered adding for a 3060Ti into the CPU instead...

And the CPU could as well be an AMD... A Ryzen 5800X would probably perform better than the 12400F (equivalent IPC, better turbo frequency, more cores to run more threads while rezzing stuff and decoding images in SL).

Edited by Henri Beauchamp
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't think Intel is a viable option. They have been making GPUs for decades and their drivers are still not very good. Windows + Nvidia, or Linux + AMD is the preferred route. AMD's drivers have gotten a lot better in the last few years, though. People are optimistic about ARC, but I don't see it. Raja was the guy in charge of AMD graphics when they were having a lot of problems in the era most people here are talking about, and he's in charge of Intel ARC.

On 11/11/2022 at 12:57 PM, Andred Darwin said:

I use the 3060 12gb (Asus version), and does a great job playing SL along with 11700k processor using a full hd monitor (1080p)... very smooth (I use the SL official viewer...), in synthetic benchmarks seems like in most games, performance is the same (or slightly higher) compared to the 6600XT (available on the internet)... what seems to be a nice to have, is the 120W power usage with the 6600xt (advertised) compared to the 170W for the 3060.... maybe someone that actually uses a 6600XT with the new drivers AMD would have more to add...

I tried AMD (model from about 2 generations ago), it lasted less than a hour installed in my machine... some games were ok, lots of issues with others, noise...., not to count Blender support for AMD was not that great at that time.... I just returned and got the NVidia 1060... luckily enough, the Nvidia equivalent was almost the same price and was on a sale due to a new generation launch (RTX 2000 series), for me, even if it was more expensive, it would be well worth the cost compared to dealing with issues, tweaking, change this, change that.... (In summary my short experience with AMD was disappointing... I still have the 970, 1060, 1080 and now 3060, they all worked great for me, not only playing SL )

Btw, according to rumors, most of the 4000-series is set to launch in January 2023, so you may find the 3060 cheaper than what you can find today, or even get the 4060 hopefully for the same price...  specially if you have a store like MicroCenter (US) nearby...

Come to think of it, my previous build was all AMD too(FX-8320 + R9 270), old old I know9_9  While it was all fine with other games it never went smooth enough in SL, then with all kinds of rumors on how Intel/Nvidia side did better with SL I bought a 1060 later and not so much later I built a i5-9600k+1070 pure dedicated for SL.  I have to say it does run perfectly...but that was like...5~6 years ago and I hope/wish AMD has improved, SL perspective.  Guess I'll go for Nvidia still~$🕊️

About 4000 series...I would wait if I could but I will have no computer to use 😂😢

On 11/11/2022 at 1:06 PM, Henri Beauchamp said:

For OpenGL applications/games, and therefore for the SL viewers, NVIDIA beats AMD hands down in performances (at equivalent card prices), and its OpenGL drivers are also 100% OpenGL compatible (meaning no need for ”workarounds” in the code like what happens with AMD and Intel drivers).

The RTX 3060 will work like a charm for SL and with such a powerful card, the bottleneck will be on the CPU side anyway (for a given CPU generation, the more GHz on the CPU core running the viewer main thread, the more fps you will get; the improvement is proportional to the the frequency increase). So I'd use part of the $140 you considered adding for a 3060Ti into the CPU instead...

And the CPU could as well be an AMD... A Ryzen 5800X would probably perform better than the 12400F (equivalent IPC, better turbo frequency, more cores to run more threads while rezzing stuff and decoding images in SL).

I did remember about the FPS/GHz relation so when I started my build I even went for i3-13100 but took it off after knowing it's still 12th Gen tech rather than 13th.  I will check on AMD CPU but heard Zen4 did pretty bad financially 🥴

4 hours ago, Flea Yatsenko said:

I don't think Intel is a viable option. They have been making GPUs for decades and their drivers are still not very good. Windows + Nvidia, or Linux + AMD is the preferred route. AMD's drivers have gotten a lot better in the last few years, though. People are optimistic about ARC, but I don't see it. Raja was the guy in charge of AMD graphics when they were having a lot of problems in the era most people here are talking about, and he's in charge of Intel ARC.

I'm using windows so Nvidia could probably be my best and only viable option...unless I like an adventurous run with AMD...:SwingingFriends:

On 11/11/2022 at 11:12 AM, JeromFranzic said:

Haha OK, better to bring it up early though. AMD really has done a great job in leveraging better performance out of their recent GPU and CPU offerings. It'll be interesting to see if Intel actually produces dedicated GPUs that can compete with AMD and Nvidia, once their driver issues are sorted.

But anyway... 😏 I do think the 3060 is a good choice for a GPU. I'd prefer a 3070 or a 3080 from Nvidia in a new laptop, if I was upgrading from my 4.5 YO model with a 1050. 

You can wait, you can definitely wait for 4000 series or even the recent rumored 7950xt(seems more budget efficient).  I'm a bit in a hurry because if I don't buy one I'll have no computer to use.

Edited by Mayou Tsuki
adding a missing word

53 minutes ago, Mayou Tsuki said:

I will check on AMD CPU but heard Zen4 did pretty bad financially

Zen 4 is indeed too expensive for now; I'm waiting next year to upgrade my system, likely with a Zen 4, but not until AMD gets more reasonable with their prices, which they might be soon forced to do, if they don't want Intel to grab all the market shares for desktop PCs, with their Raptor Lake CPUs...

Plus, Zen 4 = DDR5, so it's expensive too, at least for now... Again, next year might yield lower prices for the DDR5.

Finally, the Zen 4 motherboards (with the X-chipset) are for now also too expensive (we will see what their B-chipsets will be sold for, when they will hit the market)...

That's why I mentioned the 5800X (Zen 3, DDR4, reasonably priced MBs), which also happens to run neck to neck with the 12400F (or even slightly better, when overclocked) in mono-core perfs, while offering more cores and threads (good for rezzing faster in SL), and more cache (good to hold more viewer code in caches and run it faster as a result)...

Edited by Henri Beauchamp

• 1 month later...
On 11/12/2022 at 3:57 AM, Andred Darwin said:

In between when you tried AMD, did you use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) utility to clean up the last vestiges of Nvidia driver on your computer?

I'm not saying that Nvidia purposefully leave some low level shenanigans to sabotage AMD GPUs...

BTW I'm chugging along just fine -- if a bit laggy -- with AMD 3700U APU.

Edited by primerib1

On 11/11/2022 at 10:06 PM, Henri Beauchamp said:

I know its an old topic, but i also would like to give my 2 cents.
Absolutely agreeing on what you said by my own experience. I upgraded from a Nvidia 1060 to a AMD 6700xt, only to see my SL FPS rising just a little bit. It was nothing but disappointing.
2 weeks later i had sent back the AMD card, and got a 3070ti instead, and i instantly got a huge performance and FPS boost.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, primerib1 said:

In between when you tried AMD, did you use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) utility to clean up the last vestiges of Nvidia driver on your computer?

I'm not saying that Nvidia purposefully leave some low level shenanigans to sabotage AMD GPUs...

BTW I'm chugging along just fine -- if a bit laggy -- with AMD 3700U APU.

It was a new Windows installation... I have nothing "against" AMD per say... but in my case, was just easier to return it and stick with NVidia, which I knew it would do a great job... 

• 6 months later...
On 12/18/2022 at 8:39 PM, Andred Darwin said:

It was a new Windows installation... I have nothing "against" AMD per say... but in my case, was just easier to return it and stick with NVidia, which I knew it would do a great job... 

Never use any DDU app some of them contains viruses or malwares infection. People who cares too much about the build in uninstaller mostly get themselves infected with 3rd party app. The Intel Core i5-12400F single core performance beat AMD ryzen 5 5600. Which is the one you should considering for secondlife. Im upgraded from AMD FX-6300 and noticed a huge performance boosted.

Edited by randakong

2 hours ago, randakong said:

Never use any DDU app some of them contains viruses or malwares infection. People who cares too much about the build in uninstaller mostly get themselves infected with 3rd party app. The Intel Core i5-12400F single core performance beat AMD ryzen 5 5600. Which is the one you should considering for secondlife. Im upgraded from AMD FX-6300 and noticed a huge performance boosted.

Bruh

IMG_5387.jpeg.0e2c204e34120c5d7d6766a9cc

• Like 2

12 hours ago, randakong said:

I would hope that upgrading from an 11 year old CPU would give you a huge performance boost.

If you're looking for smooth performance, single core clock speed is what you're looking for..as far as SL goes..GPU utilization in SL is minimal unless you're running in Ultra..as previously stated AMD GPUs work, but do not work well with OpenGL in comparison to Nvidia..SL is quite CPU bound, so clock speed is what you're looking for 

• 5 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 325 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.