How do I make tiny movements to a posed Avatar?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 548 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So here's my situation.  I get my chacater in the perfect pose (either using a purchased pose or anypose).  And then I need to phyically position my avatar somehere else just a tiny bit.

But when I move left or right or forwards backwards the distance my avi moves is quite big,

Is there a way to just nudge my posed character left, right, front, back just a tiny tiny bit?  Anyone know?

• Like 1

If you rez a box next to you and then gently move it towards your avatar, at the point they collide in SL physics your avatar will be pushed away a tiny bit, as your box and your avatar 'bounding box' will repel to avoid occupying the same space.

To have the most control you can rez a poseball and sit on it, then to adjust yourself you just edit the poseball to wherever you want to be.  The poseball can play your animation, or just be a 'sit' point, then play your anim directly from the file in your inventory. You can make the poseball transparent so it does not show in your pics.

However both of these need object rez allowed at the place you are taking pics.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

For the OP ... this is what also makes hugging so stupidly difficult in SL. Each of you and the huggie trying to lines themselves up. You just about have it perfect then gently tap an arrow key and find yourself rotated 30° off hugging the side of someone's arm. Also heights ... because you can both be at different hover heights that also adds to the visual mess. Ugh.

I swear if I could build a perfect hug action that lines two avatars up facing each other perfectly I'd do it in a second.

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Atomic Infinity said:

If you rez a box next to you and then gently move it towards your avatar, at the point they collide in SL physics your avatar will be pushed away a tiny bit, as your box and your avatar 'bounding box' will repel to avoid occupying the same space.

To have the most control you can rez a poseball and sit on it, then to adjust yourself you just edit the poseball to wherever you want to be.  The poseball can play your animation, or just be a 'sit' point, then play your anim directly from the file in your inventory. You can make the poseball transparent so it does not show in your pics.

However both of these need object rez allowed at the place you are taking pics.

Thank you for these tips.. :)

5 hours ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

For the OP ... this is what also makes hugging so stupidly difficult in SL. Each of you and the huggie trying to lines themselves up. You just about have it perfect then gently tap an arrow key and find yourself rotated 30° off hugging the side of someone's arm. Also heights ... because you can both be at different hover heights that also adds to the visual mess. Ugh.

I swear if I could build a perfect hug action that lines two avatars up facing each other perfectly I'd do it in a second.

Ha.. yes I've had more than my fair share of 'awkward' hugs in SL... so know exactly what you mean.

(Sends you a virtual hug) :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Charalyne Blackwood said:

I have a generic poseball, you sit on it and it plays the enclosed animation (when there is one) and you can micro adjust your position by edit moving the poseball. It also turns invisible when you sit on it

How do i craeate or buy a blank poseball.. and can i add my own or purchased poses to it?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JordonBanks said:

How do i craeate or buy a blank poseball.. and can i add my own or purchased poses to it?

I just rezzed a ball and added a script to it. I got the script from the sl script library (I think, i can't find it anywhere). If you like I can send you the actual poseball or just the script next time I'm logged in?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/25/2022 at 6:13 PM, JordonBanks said:

Pose Balls are just a prim sphere with a script. Something you can make as it is very basic SL building. (Ctrl-B and select sphere.) I know that if you have not dug into SL building this can seem very complicated. But there is no primitive building component that is a 'pose ball.' Just a primitive sphere which any SL user can turn into a pose ball. While there is a lot of building options and features for all primitives in SL the basics are straight forward. Once learned you can use the knowledge whenever you want to do something that appears impossible.

All the tech data and 'how to' is in the SL Wiki.

Katherine said if there were a way...  well there is. But, it is complex.

You'll find that some toys in SL do line up avatars. Most are sex toys that want to fit genitals together, which is the simpler of the fit problems. Avatar positioning starts at the pelvis. SO all they have to do is position the two pelvis. Attempting to make a kiss animation fit one has to position the pelvis and an offset which we start calculating from the pelvis and figure out settings for torso, neck, and head to get lips to line up. Most animators and pose makers skip the calcs and make an educated guess from avatar height. (There are lots of variables in the calcs. Like where are the lips on the head? Since lip position on the head is adjustable.) Plus they give you a way to adjust the avatar position while in the pose. WAY simpler.

There are ways to edit avatar position.

Black Dragon is the most flexible and you can use arrow keys with the Poser controls to make very small adjustments to the avatar's overall position and in the pose adjustments. It makes AnyPose look like a child's toy. You definitely need to check it out. AnyPose has some advantages over BD. If we could combine them... sigh.

Strawberry Singh/Linden has an old post about editing avatars for position. Moving Avatars - 2 videos. (See the 2nd video for a no prim how to.) She uses an old version of the Firestorm viewer no longer usable on the grid. Some of the controls she describes no longer work as said. So, you'll have some figuring out to do. But the basic idea of putting an avatar on a prim to move and position it is still very doable. It is a technique used to get an avatar out of a wall or other object we did not intend to tp inside of... or to circumvent locked doors.

Strawberry has 34 tips on Pinterest. mostly unrelated to your question.

• Thanks 1

If you do photos in areas where you can rezz, I highly recommend going for pose stand instead of poseball. The stands give you the option to physically move your avatar through the 3d space allowing you to do those minor position adjustments while keeping the pose and camera angle in check. 

As for minor pose/joints and etc adjustments, like others already stated try Black Dragon viewer's poser feature. It allows you to do changes on the pose even Anypose can't do.

7 hours ago, Aiyumei said:

If you do photos in areas where you can rezz, I highly recommend going for pose stand instead of poseball. The stands give you the option to physically move your avatar through the 3d space allowing you to do those minor position adjustments while keeping the pose and camera angle in check. 

As for minor pose/joints and etc adjustments, like others already stated try Black Dragon viewer's poser feature. It allows you to do changes on the pose even Anypose can't do.

The pose ball also allows for 3d movement, plus it turns invisible when you sit on it. 

1 hour ago, Charalyne Blackwood said:

The pose ball also allows for 3d movement, plus it turns invisible when you sit on it. 

Many pose stands also come with option to turn them invisible. The main difference between the two is if you sit on the ball before you select it, you can't move it around and will have to stand and select it. Benefit of using pose stand aside from the movements , you can stuff it up with various poses you want and switch between them as you work on your photo.

1 hour ago, Aiyumei said:

Many pose stands also come with option to turn them invisible. The main difference between the two is if you sit on the ball before you select it, you can't move it around and will have to stand and select it. Benefit of using pose stand aside from the movements , you can stuff it up with various poses you want and switch between them as you work on your photo.

I right click and edit. It's a poseball of my making so it's easy for me to find, even when it's invisible. Tbh I've been away from pose stands for so long i didn't know there was an invisible option 😲

Edited by Charalyne Blackwood

On 10/27/2022 at 4:41 PM, Nalates Urriah said:

Pose Balls are just a prim sphere with a script. Something you can make as it is very basic SL building. (Ctrl-B and select sphere.) I know that if you have not dug into SL building this can seem very complicated. But there is no primitive building component that is a 'pose ball.' Just a primitive sphere which any SL user can turn into a pose ball. While there is a lot of building options and features for all primitives in SL the basics are straight forward. Once learned you can use the knowledge whenever you want to do something that appears impossible.

All the tech data and 'how to' is in the SL Wiki.

Katherine said if there were a way...  well there is. But, it is complex.

You'll find that some toys in SL do line up avatars. Most are sex toys that want to fit genitals together, which is the simpler of the fit problems. Avatar positioning starts at the pelvis. SO all they have to do is position the two pelvis. Attempting to make a kiss animation fit one has to position the pelvis and an offset which we start calculating from the pelvis and figure out settings for torso, neck, and head to get lips to line up. Most animators and pose makers skip the calcs and make an educated guess from avatar height. (There are lots of variables in the calcs. Like where are the lips on the head? Since lip position on the head is adjustable.) Plus they give you a way to adjust the avatar position while in the pose. WAY simpler.

There are ways to edit avatar position.

Black Dragon is the most flexible and you can use arrow keys with the Poser controls to make very small adjustments to the avatar's overall position and in the pose adjustments. It makes AnyPose look like a child's toy. You definitely need to check it out. AnyPose has some advantages over BD. If we could combine them... sigh.

Strawberry Singh/Linden has an old post about editing avatars for position. Moving Avatars - 2 videos. (See the 2nd video for a no prim how to.) She uses an old version of the Firestorm viewer no longer usable on the grid. Some of the controls she describes no longer work as said. So, you'll have some figuring out to do. But the basic idea of putting an avatar on a prim to move and position it is still very doable. It is a technique used to get an avatar out of a wall or other object we did not intend to tp inside of... or to circumvent locked doors.

Strawberry has 34 tips on Pinterest. mostly unrelated to your question.

Thanks for this very thorough response.. really useful :)

• Thanks 1

On 10/26/2022 at 2:39 AM, Charalyne Blackwood said:

I just rezzed a ball and added a script to it. I got the script from the sl script library (I think, i can't find it anywhere). If you like I can send you the actual poseball or just the script next time I'm logged in?

Tnnak you.. yes please :)  JordonBanks Resident in SL

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 548 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.