Changing the Ground texture of a parcel?

Dodgeman DeCuir

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 616 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello, 

Probably that question has been asked already but didn't found yet the answer.

Can you change the ground texture of a mainland parcel?

I found the path to reach the texturing part but apparently it doesn't let me upload texture.

Is this because it is mainland and you can't change the ground texture?

Just need confirmation if anyone knows.

Thank you.

Dodge.

13 minutes ago, Dodgeman DeCuir said:

Hello, 

Probably that question has been asked already but didn't found yet the answer.

Can you change the ground texture of a mainland parcel?

I found the path to reach the texturing part but apparently it doesn't let me upload texture.

Just need confirmation if anyone knows.

Thank you.

Dodge.

no thats not possible.

• Like 1

Like Alwin said, there are some nice "overlays" that can be placed over your parcel on the marketplace that are semi transparent and have things like pebbles, leaves, dirt roads etc. I personally hate the ones that are fully opaque, the semi transparent ones blend in with the surrounding landscape better I think. 

• Like 1

On 10/17/2022 at 8:56 AM, Dodgeman DeCuir said:

It's not only Mainland. It's only possible to change the terrain texture at a region level, not a parcel because that would be trouble for adjacent parcels.

And only Lindens can change the terrain texture on a Mainland region—which fortunately they never do because that would be trouble for adjacent regions.

And that's why I agree with Ingrid: it's easier to get good results by adding features to the existing terrain texture rather than covering it with an opaque overlay which is apt to look very fake if different from all the neighboring parcels.

There is a neat looking ground overlay generator on the marketplace that will generate sculpted prim images to cover your landscape with.  I can not comment on how well it renders the textures or how much of a pain it would be to generate multiple ones and have all of the textures align correctly.

If I were to do it, I would try to blend the edges of the property to match the surrounding ground textures.  I'm really not sure how it would work though, I have never actually tried this product.  

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Istelathis said:

There is a neat looking ground overlay generator on the marketplace that will generate sculpted prim images to cover your landscape with.  I can not comment on how well it renders the textures or how much of a pain it would be to generate multiple ones and have all of the textures align correctly.

If I were to do it, I would try to blend the edges of the property to match the surrounding ground textures.  I'm really not sure how it would work though, I have never actually tried this product.  

I have used that product sometimes to good effect but I don't use it any more because it has an annoying feature -- you can't pull out the corners intuitively to fit the parcel in the obvious direction. You have to accept whatever its fixed dimensions are and pull in the opposite direction. What you do with this is make a sculpty, which you then texture as you please with existing Mainland texture or hopefully other textures.

But another solution is to buy ready-made terrain pieces and texture those. There are several that are not high prim and either have their own textures baked in or you can add your own. And that's what most people do. 

There's yet another thing to do, work with the land and landscape it, but not overstuff it as so many do. It's not so terrible that in fact you can't make it look better with some trees and grass patches without that artificial overstuffed look that too much terrain often effects.

• Thanks 1

Hi, it can be really good results using all kinds of shapes and texture them, For instance, my snow drifts han been used with grass, sand or rock textures The more bumps and shapes pushed together, the better. I am renting 2 places in Horizons, where terraforming is not allowed, and a a third place in a water region where the sea bed can't be raised.

Here is making a more bumpy and wild backyard:

Virtual wildlife

And here I used mainly big flat prims. A few rocks, wild grass and other plants add variety. Framed by a low garden wall. The height difference is bridged by a rectangular prim rotated in an angle, and grass/rocks soften the straight lines. I love this grass pack. It is the Jest weeds, and it has parts in all sizes, and also parts for slopes.

Beauty in Mainland

Beauty in Mainland

And finally, an artificial island in the water region.

My little corner of Mainland, Second Life

• Like 8

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 616 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.