he seeks her

Hyokr

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 647 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Greetings. My name is Hyokr. 

I'm looking for a girlfriend - human shape, casual look, slim, "girl next door", long hair....

- To hang out, dance, talk, travel, explore...

I love long conversations. Good english or german would be necessary.

And that's the catch: my online hours are between 10am and 10pm SLT.

Edited by Hyokr

I was bored, and read the first two comments and took them at face value. Then I decided to check out the dude's profile, just to get annoyed. Ummm... that profile isn't due the screed it got above, so unless he changed it in the last few hours? It isn't a "happy bunny and unicorns" profile but it reads like a lot of profiles I have seen.

It was not something that would make me want to slander the guy in a public forum, folks. Unless I missed something.

And I'm not looking for a boyfriend, but I would definitely talk to the guy.

ETA: The posts that came before this one were removed, cuz otherwise my comment looks kinda crazy.

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

I was bored, and read the first two comments and took them at face value. Then I decided to check out the dude's profile, just to get annoyed. Ummm... that profile isn't due the screed it got above, so unless he changed it in the last few hours? It isn't a "happy bunny and unicorns" profile but it reads like a lot of profiles I have seen.

It was not something that would make me want to slander the guy in a public forum, folks. Unless I missed something.

And I'm not looking for a boyfriend, but I would definitely talk to the guy.

Except for all us good looking avatars being SL idiots, it wasn't ALL that bad.  

The above usually said by someone who has no interest in updating their avatar.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/18/2022 at 5:01 AM, Seicher Rae said:

Aha... well now my comment above doesn't make sense since... :::waves bye:::

This is why I get peeved at the "cleaning up" of threads.  Subsequent posts seem really out of place or don't make any sense...and I miss all the drama!

Edited by Jordan Whitt
  • Like 8

On 8/17/2022 at 9:30 AM, Seicher Rae said:
On 8/17/2022 at 9:19 AM, Paul Hexem said:

Is there a similar term for every second woman in SL that has a profile that says "don't talk to me unless you've spent money"?

Or anyone with a Marketplace wishlist prominently displayed?

Material girl living in a material world?

• Like 1

My profile is a WIP and i belive in some way so is everyones...Encircles, so to speak, the core of the being with the many facets that arise through mood in general as well as through reflections of the second life; and curiosity for change. Sometimes its just a stub, sometimes a current endpoint, sometimes it is motivated by total disinterest in what others think. I would assume: The more that is the case, the more alive is one in SL.  Even reflecting about a profile but not finding words is interesting and can be insightfull - for everybody, for one self.  When I compare profiles with each other and, of course, with my current own, I would conlude: Profiles don't say anything, profiles say everything, profiles say something. Clichés alternate with revelations. Behind an empty profile can be an interesting person or the other way round. Actually its always also like a diary, but just one page; as in SL it only shows one point in time. A profile can be a self-reflection as well as showing off. However its public and that is part of the motivation. I like to feel that profiles are a bit like novels in where the author is the actor. Some people are write very interesting "stories". All in all it enriches Second life and sometimes its like being in a library and reading biographies, the news, shortstories, policial and social views, good jokes, some wise insights... and that all has been shaped by the life as an avatar in SL. Its a small part of the avatars life, but imo one of the coolest inventions and options of SL.

Edited by Hyokr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/28/2022 at 1:17 AM, Hyokr said:

My profile is a WIP and i belive in some way so is everyones...Encircles, so to speak, the core of the being with the many facets that arise through mood in general as well as through reflections of the second life; and curiosity for change. Sometimes its just a stub, sometimes a current endpoint, sometimes it is motivated by total disinterest in what others think. I would assume: The more that is the case, the more alive is one in SL.  Even reflecting about a profile but not finding words is interesting and can be insightfull - for everybody, for one self.  When I compare profiles with each other and, of course, with my current own, I would conlude: Profiles don't say anything, profiles say everything, profiles say something. Clichés alternate with revelations. Behind an empty profile can be an interesting person or the other way round. Actually its always also like a diary, but just one page; as in SL it only shows one point in time. A profile can be a self-reflection as well as showing off. However its public and that is part of the motivation. I like to feel that profiles are a bit like novels in where the author is the actor. Some people are write very interesting "stories". All in all it enriches Second life and sometimes its like being in a library and reading biographies, the news, shortstories, policial and social views, good jokes, some wise insights... and that all has been shaped by the life as an avatar in SL. Its a small part of the avatars life, but imo one of the coolest inventions and options of SL.

This is very well written! And dense!

So well written, I almost thought it was by an AI!

Thank you for contributing to the Forums.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/5/2022 at 12:21 AM, BAR58 said:

If she is the "one" none of that will matter. and if she isnt, why waste your time.

Not true. That matters. Especially in SL. 

by the way: I did not say "the one"...

But once found - then it's the one, thats true. And i did.

edit: This is all too often an ideal of people who would like to be holy saints or are moralists-  exactly when they emphasize: "The outside means nothing". Is it too demanding or too complicate to admire the beauty of a body equal to the beauty of a soul? Or is that too daring? Too dirty? Too immoral to choose that and accept the absence of one of the two as an exclusion criterion? Can someone be so desperate or is that indifference or lack of good taste? ... Its all about fun and in fun nothhing is mandatory.

Edited by Hyokr
cant stop ...
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is an exciting topic.

Personal taste is often - so to speak - the crown of human judgment. But it's less personal than many people think. It is shaped by society, environment and upbringing. It is within these conditions that we define beauty and ugliness. The acute problem: both designations are associated with pleasure and disgust. Disgust and possessiveness for the sake of pleasure leads to, in the broadest sense, war, murder, manslaughter.

The spiritual root is desire, that is, liking and disliking. Desire is responsible for suffering. Desire is like a piece of meat. Social and personal likes and dislikes circle it and stick to it like flies. You can wave them away (Reason) or or install a fly screen around them (Puritanism, Christianism) - but the flesh and temptation remain. To get away from this urge, the only way is very radical. So far is known: That is Buddhism. 

What we could do, however, on a less radical level, is to submit to the present state and thus accept the beautiful as well as the ugly, and especially one's own personal view - but to try to separate it from lust and disgust, at least in the sense of self-knowledge. Hence we might do less harm to us and others.

A real artist does this consciously (most of the time) or unconsciously (at least), because the appearance, the illusionary character, their nevertheless undeniable existence and their effects are his subject. (I recommend the works of Auguste Rodin, a French sculptor, 1840-1917).

For me it is still true: to have found the right one means that she remains the right one. This refers to the appearance as well as to the inner being and that all in relation to my taste. * And I think many others see it the same way.

That we can manipulate this in SL, does that make us artists? It could be...

There is this ironic cliché as a joke, where the man, after the woman married him, mutated from Adonis to beer-drinking fatso, lying on the couch, unshaven, smelling of sweat. Well, where are the inner values now? All right, if they are still there?

Edited by Hyokr

6 hours ago, Hyokr said:

There is this ironic cliché as a joke, where the man, after the woman married him, mutated from Adonis to beer-drinking fatso, lying on the couch, unshaven, smelling of sweat. Well, where are the inner values now? All right, if they are still there?

The woman has been deceived by the man.  HER inner values may be intact but she has also entered into a marriage based on a lie.  If she chooses to leave, could anyone blame her?

Second Life is different obviously.  People can change their appearance in seconds so that slim attractive female with long hair might really be a less than slim female/male with spiky hair tomorrow.  I'm not saying we shouldn't seek out people who we find attractive but it's really somewhat secondary to me.  The only thing attractiveness in SL means is someone has good skills in shopping and avatar building.  I've talked to some exceptionally attractive men who are as exciting as a box of rocks or just a blatant misogynist.  Looks can only get you so far in either world if you don't have a connection to the person inside.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Hyokr said:

The spiritual root is desire, that is, liking and disliking. Desire is responsible for suffering. Desire is like a piece of meat. Social and personal likes and dislikes circle it and stick to it like flies. You can wave them away (Reason) or or install a fly screen around them (Puritanism, Christianism) - but the flesh and temptation remain. To get away from this urge, the only way is very radical. So far is known: That is Buddhism. 

Buddhism and I have a little disagreement on that issue. The way I see it, without desire there is no motivation for self improvement, growth.  You want to learn new skills; a musical instrument or another language for example. That's a desire, but one which leads to self-improvement; it's a beneficial desire.  Buddhism doesn't really separate these kinds of desire from the less beneficial ones like lust, greed and selfishness. But I think it should.

Anyway, to get back on topic, I think the way an avatar looks can tell a great deal about the person behind it, perhaps more so than a profile. Regardless of how much money has been spent, it also tells us how imaginitive they are, how creative. Are they a unique thinker or do they follow the crowd? It also tells us a great deal about what they desire, either in themselves or in a potential partner.

I am far more interested in someone who's put a great deal of thought into making their avatar somehow different or unusual, even if it was done on a very limited or zero budget, than I am in someone who's spent L$30,000 but still looks like everyone else. 

• Like 2

Everyone I ever liked the looks of changed their looks the next day after I told them I liked their looks.

So now I put on my fish monster avi if anyone tells me I'm pretty, just to feel that power for myself.

As for a guy posting about his preferences, I see nothing wrong with it, at least he's being honest about what he's looking for. If I saw a thread seeking romance and saying looks don't matter, personality doesn't matter, shared interests don't matter, etc., I'd be very leery of them.

All it'd reveal was desperation, and that's scary asf, even on the internet.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 647 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.