Get kicked off my WiFi within 5 or 10 minutes after connecting in world.

ClNDARELLA

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 665 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

This issue just started last night.  After about 30 minutes of being logged into world, I froze.  I thought it was a SL issue, but when the screen went gray, I realized it was my WiFi connection.  Took me a bit to figure out how to reconnect, but finally I did and logged back in to world.  In less than 10 minutes, the same thing happened. Kicked off my WiFi. It was late, so I fixed it and shut down for the night.  Today, I logged into world and after 15 minutes, lost my WiFi connection.  It's definitely an In World only problem for me as I have no issues elsewhere.  Is this a unique issue for me or has anyone else out there having the same trouble?

I am running Windows 11 on an Asus Tuf Gaming AMD Ryzen 5. 

• Like 1

7 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Obvious first question .. have you restarted your router (etc etc)

Hi Coffee Pancake....Yes. I also checked the first time I got kicked out of the WiFi, my phone, my husband's phone and his desktop were not affected.

3 hours ago, ClNDARELLA said:

Hi Coffee Pancake....Yes. I also checked the first time I got kicked out of the WiFi, my phone, my husband's phone and his desktop were not affected.

Direct line of sight to router will help.  SL needs a very stable connection to stay connected.  If I sit at my desk, in direct sight of the modem, I'll speed test @ almost 100.  20 feet away, with 2 walls between me and the router?  Sometimes, barely 50.

LL actually recommends NOT using WiFi although I always have.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 1

On 6/21/2022 at 8:09 PM, ClNDARELLA said:

This issue just started last night.  After about 30 minutes of being logged into world, I froze.  I thought it was a SL issue, but when the screen went gray, I realized it was my WiFi connection.  Took me a bit to figure out how to reconnect, but finally I did and logged back in to world.  In less than 10 minutes, the same thing happened. Kicked off my WiFi. It was late, so I fixed it and shut down for the night.  Today, I logged into world and after 15 minutes, lost my WiFi connection.  It's definitely an In World only problem for me as I have no issues elsewhere.  Is this a unique issue for me or has anyone else out there having the same trouble?

Something similar began happening to me around the same date (a week ago).  After about 10 minutes of logging in, my internet speed drops from around 70mbps to around 5mbps, making SL effectively unusuable.  Once I logo out after about 5 mins speed returns to 70mbps.

I have re-booted my router.  I have deleted and re-installed my wi-fi connection from scratch.  i have even tried using a VPN, as I was suspicious that my internet provider may be throttling my speed when using SL.  But same things still happens.

Let me know if you resolve the issue, and what you did to resolve it.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2022 at 12:09 PM, ClNDARELLA said:

Open your viewer's HELP->About... Scroll down looking for Packet Loss. 2% is a LOT and anything greater is a serious problem. At <=2% you might manage to stay connected. Depends if the packet loss is continuous or intermittent.

When you first log in packet lost can be high. But it should improve rapidly. Think about it. If 3 packets have been sent and you lost one that is a 33% loss. By the 10th packet with no additional loss that is down to 10% and by the 100th packet 1%. Since packets typical hold 1500b and many connections will carry 10 to 100mbps it doesn't take long for the average loss to stabilize at a low number. So if you still have over 1% loss it is time to talk to your ISP.

There is a log file the viewer keeps. You'll find it in C:\Users\[Windows_User_name]\AppData\Roaming\[Viewer_name]\logs

Scroll to the end of the log and read backward to get an idea of what happened.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 665 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.