Just wondering...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 738 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

12 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Don't even get me started on the "handle your customer's calls while checking in with your field sales team while placing orders while updating orders while asking the logistics team about that special shipment while managing the switchboard and oh yeah get tech support up here to fix that printer and don't forget to keep an eye on your email and we've got a meeting at 10 you should prep for and remember to update me on the status of..." nonsense I had to do on a daily basis. And forget working in a law firm. Oh my god - the chaos.

A zillion tabs and programs open at once? Yeah, that's where I learned how to do that.

I don't know how you do that.  It would drive me insane most of the time.  However, there have been times when I got into the flow and was handling multiple threads of reality at the same time (multiple IM's along with other PC tasks), and that can be exciting. Most of the time it's just annoying though.

5 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I was only responding to your statement describing how you need to be able to access information in a web browser and so VR would not be appropriate for you, and nothing else, as you had not given any more information about why VR would not be good for you at that time. So I mentioned VR Desktop and how we can now access a web browser within VR.
Now you have provided additional information regarding why VR isn't for you, and this is an interesting topic -- immersion and how a VR desktop would be suitable for some people within VR but not others. It might be fun to discuss!

Personally, I would not want to do the tasks I need to accomplish each day using a web browser within the VR environment, but perhaps I might in the future if the app was less buggy and the headset wasn't so clunky and uncomfortable, giving me a headache.

Most people don't even do RL work on their web browser in VR, however. It's more used as a part of their VR home, much as how people have TV's and PC's in their SL home -- to make their virtual home similar to their own RL home that contains a TV & PC, so it's a kind of home setup roleplay.  The PC's in SL aren't nearly as functional as the ones in VR though, but might be fun for some in SL if they were.

In my VR home I can arrange furniture, meet people, watch movies with them, or browse the web on VR Desktop if I need to look up something quick and don't want to disengage from my VR environment.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaait - what's a VR home? I should Google - I know I'm being lazy here. 😂 Roast away!

But no really - what's the purpose of a VR home? I don't think I've ever heard of that (yet).

2 minutes ago, Akane Nacht said:

I had great fun with Kinect til I kicked the coffee table playing virtual soccer...

There was actually a case where someone died crashing into a glass coffee table while using VR   :(

2 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:
8 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I was only responding to your statement describing how you need to be able to access information in a web browser and so VR would not be appropriate for you, and nothing else, as you had not given any more information about why VR would not be good for you at that time. So I mentioned VR Desktop and how we can now access a web browser within VR.
Now you have provided additional information regarding why VR isn't for you, and this is an interesting topic -- immersion and how a VR desktop would be suitable for some people within VR but not others. It might be fun to discuss!

Personally, I would not want to do the tasks I need to accomplish each day using a web browser within the VR environment, but perhaps I might in the future if the app was less buggy and the headset wasn't so clunky and uncomfortable, giving me a headache.

Most people don't even do RL work on their web browser in VR, however. It's more used as a part of their VR home, much as how people have TV's and PC's in their SL home -- to make their virtual home similar to their own RL home that contains a TV & PC, so it's a kind of home setup roleplay.  The PC's in SL aren't nearly as functional as the ones in VR though, but might be fun for some in SL if they were.

In my VR home I can arrange furniture, meet people, watch movies with them, or browse the web on VR Desktop if I need to look up something quick and don't want to disengage from my VR environment.

Expand  

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaait - what's a VR home? I should Google - I know I'm being lazy here. 😂 Roast away!

But no really - what's the purpose of a VR home? I don't think I've ever heard of that (yet).

Yesss...and they can be quite fun. Oculus (now Meta) has one and it has changed over time, giving greater capabilities in each iteration.  Here's one on Steam:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/575430/VR_Home/

The purpose?  Well just roleplaying I guess, much as we do with our home setups in SL.  They're relaxing to me...especially if I have great views out the window and good music playing.

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

I don't know how you do that.  It would drive me insane most of the time.  However, there have been times when I got into the flow and was handling multiple threads of reality at the same time (multiple IM's along with other PC tasks), and that can be exciting. Most of the time it's just annoying though.

You know the real kicker? I wasn't supposed to be doing any of that. I was a temp worker. I was supposed to be filing documents at the most. However, they promoted someone in the dept to a different line of products (managing orders for a more expensive product line), so they gave me her old region to manage in her absence (how generous!!!!!). It just so happened to be the largest region of the country (very generous!!!11) with the most field sales reps (yay!). They said it was because they trusted me and I proved to be so good at the job (uh huh). I handled it well enough that they promised they'd hire me FT and give me a full salary and benefits but oh noooes suddenly a hiring freeze months and months into it! I eventually quit when they tried to add the switchboard duties on top of everything else. Girl bye LOL. Ran out channeling Gladys Knight "I'MMM NOOOT YOOOUR SUUUPERWOOOMAAAN!" 😂

But anyway, most of my jobs have been like that. Since I was like...18...every job was nightmare fuel on some level. Girrrl the inner workings of most offices are a HOT MESS. If you show any ability to stay organized and keep your head on straight and get work done on time (or god forbid, early), they will have you take over every gig in the joint. Someone quits? Oh that's your job now! 😂

And this is why I freelance!

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Yesss...and they can be quite fun. Oculus (now Meta) has one and it has changed over time, giving greater capabilities in each iteration.  Here's one on Steam:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/575430/VR_Home/

The purpose?  Well just roleplaying I guess, much as we do with our home setups in SL.  They're relaxing to me...especially if I have great views out the window and good music playing.

Oh that's an interesting idea. It needs more...pizzazz tho. More...ridiculousness. Why make it look like a standard living room, ya know? Turn it into an underwater cavern! 

This is my thought process behind changing my home in SL around all the time too btw. One minute I'm good living in a cute modern home and the next, I want dolphins swimming by my couch.

Just now, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Oh that's an interesting idea. It needs more...pizzazz tho. More...ridiculousness. Why make it look like a standard living room, ya know? Turn it into an underwater cavern! 

This is my thought process behind changing my home in SL around all the time too btw. One minute I'm good living in a cute modern home and the next, I want dolphins swimming by my couch.

I think you can. I need to check out the current possibilities.

When I first got a headset and logged into Oculus Home I was terrified, as it was an outdoor environment and these creepy monsters were behind me climbing over rocks. Glad they changed that, though I could probably cope better now. It just seemed so real. I still can't deal with spiders in VR.

• Like 1

Just now, Luna Bliss said:

I think you can. I need to check out the current possibilities.

When I first got a headset and logged into Oculus Home I was terrified, as it was an outdoor environment and these creepy monsters were behind me climbing over rocks. Glad they changed that, though I could probably cope better now. It just seemed so real. I still can't deal with spiders in VR.

I'll be honest - the best use I see for VR (at the consumer level) is horror gaming. And I'm a giant scaredy cat, so I wouldn't even play them myself no no no no no. But combine that type of immersion level with horror and that would be one crazy experience IMO! 

In fact, isn't Resident 7 in VR? That's a terrifying one. Visage might be also. That's even worse. Perfect that, and I could see VR taking off more. IF they can fix the motion sickness, on top of that.

Imagine something like Until Dawn/The Quarry, but even more immersive than that. Fewer cutscenes, more gameplay. In full VR. Eeeep.

I'll be honest - the best use I see for VR (at the consumer level) is horror gaming. And I'm a giant scaredy cat, so I wouldn't even play them myself no no no no no. But combine that type of immersion level with horror and that would be one crazy experience IMO! 

In fact, isn't Resident 7 in VR? That's a terrifying one. Visage might be also. That's even worse. Perfect that, and I could see VR taking off more. IF they can fix the motion sickness, on top of that.

Imagine something like Until Dawn/The Quarry, but even more immersive than that. Fewer cutscenes, more gameplay. In full VR. Eeeep.

Beauty is real. Horror is real. I avoid the horror games....there's enough horror in RL atm unfortunately.

Beauty is real. Horror is real. I avoid the horror games....there's enough horror in RL atm unfortunately.

LOL you are not wrong. 

But we know how the gaming industry is. Find a reliable way to scare the pants off of people and you'll do alright. 

There are other gaming genres that fit well with VR, too, though I've honestly not seen them done well yet at all. So many games look like they're geared toward much younger players. 

I guess I'm a bit surprised how basic most things look considering how long they've been working on this stuff. Half Life/Resi/etc. being the exception - those look wild.

Hmmm this is interesting...Infinite Office. I see her switching from augmented reality (where she can still see the RL room surrounding her virtual screen, black and white and somewhat faded) and then she switches to full VR with her Home room.

There are other gaming genres that fit well with VR, too, though I've honestly not seen them done well yet at all. So many games look like they're geared toward much younger players. 

I guess I'm a bit surprised how basic most things look considering how long they've been working on this stuff. Half Life/Resi/etc. being the exception - those look wild.

Games have to be super-optimized to work with VR, and so you get a lot of the blocky, stylized looks for the lower end headsets especially. I expect this to improve though.

The payoff is in how real everything feels though, and so I don't mind the blocky look to the degree I would in SL.

• Like 1

Hmmm this is interesting...Infinite Office. I see her switching from augmented reality (where she can still see the RL room surrounding her virtual screen, black and white and somewhat faded) and then she switches to full VR with her Home room.

Okay but see...why?

That's the question I never see answered (not by you guys in this thread - I mean in general across the VR industry) - why do we need that? As opposed to just a regular standing desk and a PC.

Now, if the idea behind this is - you no longer need to spend on computer parts/equipment/builds. You can have a fully-functional desktop and OS in VR you can use to work, play, chat, etc. and never once need another piece of hardware - then yay I guess? Is that what they're going for? 

But that can't be it, because most games I see in VR still require all the fixins.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Okay but see...why?

That's the question I never see answered (not by you guys in this thread - I mean in general across the VR industry) - why do we need that? As opposed to just a regular standing desk and a PC.

Now, if the idea behind this is - you no longer need to spend on computer parts/equipment/builds. You can have a fully-functional desktop and OS in VR you can use to work, play, chat, etc. and never once need another piece of hardware - then yay I guess? Is that what they're going for? 

But that can't be it, because most games I see in VR still require all the fixins.

At the very least the blocky headset is still way more portable then my 32 inch monitor. The ability to move around the house and watch in the room I would like or even to sit out on the verandah enjoying the fresh air without having to worry about the natural light overpowering the laptop screen is a boon.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Okay but see...why?

I'm not sure I can explain how cool this sense of presence is -- most likely you'd just have to experience it to understand. But this factor is what makes VR awesome.

Maybe it's a bit like trying to explain snow. I could list all the attributes of snow...it's cold, white, crumbles in your hand...but you'd never really know what snow is until you actually experience it.

• Like 2

VR can cause one to access their imagination to a greater degree, and this is an ability many lose to varying degrees in adulthood. I'm not sure how it does that. I was beginning to research studies in consciousness and VR yesterday, so perhaps they have some clues.

2 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

At the very least the blocky headset is still way more portable then my 32 inch monitor. The ability to move around the house and watch in the room I would like or even to sit out on the verandah enjoying the fresh air without having to worry about the natural light overpowering the laptop screen is a boon.

If it works like that video (being able to "manifest" a functional screen setup wherever you go even when away from the computer), then I could see that being a huge benefit for a lot of people, sure.

2 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I'm not sure I can explain how cool this sense of presence is -- most likely you'd just have to experience it to understand. But this factor is what makes VR awesome.

Maybe it's a bit like trying to explain snow. I could list all the attributes of snow...it's cold, white, crumbles in your hand...but you'd never really know what snow is until you actually experience it.

I think I've just seen way too much cyberpunk/future tech in my lifetime (in art, film, games, books, etc.). None of it will intrigue me until we get to the level of swapping bio-chips in our brains to enhance our physical abilities. 😂

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Have you ever watched a movie in VR?  Interestingly, I remember them better and enjoyed them more. A bit like getting engrossed in a super good book that haunts you even in RL, as it all seemed so real.

37 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Be very wary of the virtual office

It's dressed up all sexy and shiny to sell it to you, it's not for you, it's a prison hat your boss will get to put on you for the day.

A bubble where you can only see your work world and the work world your bosses want you to see.

qMu6yNR.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In addition to causing nausea for some, there are those who hate VR and feel overwhelmed and fearful from it.  VR is actually tricking your brain because on deeper levels you actually do feel the simulated environment is real, and I suspect some don't appreciate being tricked or experiencing reality in such a different manner.

If anyone wants to try it I recommend experiencing it for free before purchasing, at a retail store or library -- at least they used to have setups there in some locations.

Personally, I limit my exposure to it. It's very similar to experiencing a creative high or good meditation, and I want to achieve that on my own and not have it given to me via VR or any drug for that matter. So I take mine out from its hiding place from time to time and have fun, see what's new, and then put it back in storage for awhile.

• Like 1

For myself vr would be a form of entertainment like reading a book,watching TV or enjoying sl for example.My down time,my relaxation.Multitasking in my world is just making sure I have crossed everything off the list for the day.I have many workplace things to do,they can change daily.I can juggle my responsibilities and prioritize but it is just doing my job.

Sl is the place I go to relax and enjoy.Take my mind away from working and real world in a place that has some of the most incredible lands.There are so many cool activities just thought vr might maybe enhance.

Everyone has taught me so much.Really appreciate everyone's time and thoughts on the subject.We all do deserve that relax time.🙂

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Be very wary of the virtual office

It's dressed up all sexy and shiny to sell it to you, it's not for you, it's a prison hat your boss will get to put on you for the day.

A bubble where you can only see your work world and the work world your bosses want you to see.

I'd be surprised if many companies even want workers exposed to remote VR workplaces at all. Some seem pretty salty that their workers got to experience remote/working at home in the first place and reallllyyyy want to get their staff back into the office where they can spy...erm...supervise them properly.

I read an article fairly recently that one company tried to enforce remote worker dress codes -  yes, for the employees working in their own homes. LOL. They had trouble enforcing shoe rules, though, since they can't exactly spy on that via Zoom or anything. 😂

1 hour ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

But anyway, most of my jobs have been like that. Since I was like...18...every job was nightmare fuel on some level. Girrrl the inner workings of most offices are a HOT MESS. If you show any ability to stay organized and keep your head on straight and get work done on time (or god forbid, early), they will have you take over every gig in the joint. Someone quits? Oh that's your job now! 😂

That is why I refuse to work in that capacity for any corporation that isn't closely held. Which excludes any large or medium sized corporation. I do my best work in small offices where everything runs like a well oiled machine. *cracks her whip* Get to work! 😁

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 738 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.