Looking for advice - Getting art "out there" in Second Life

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 617 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I recently became interested in bringing my art into Second Life and getting it noticed (hopefully). I'm interested in displaying it places or at shows/galleries and also selling copies of my art for others in SL to place in their homes. 

What would be the best way for me to get started and grow?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

You can open a gallery, but I've done that several times and they are underwhelmingly attended. 

Entering contests can be a good way to get your art seen, especially in contest that people vote on.  The down side to those are everyone has all the friends and alt come and vote for THEIR piece rather than people actually looking at the art objectively.

Simply put, it is not an easy thing to do.  I know of several who have but they are affiliated with big time well known galleries.  

• Like 3

Try here.

OK. After I wrote all that I went to paste in the URL and found that the place I was sending you to was either on hiatus or "gone".  That leaves a big hole since another long time art community closed not too many months ago.  HMMM.  

You could try checking out the new LEA which I believe is now SLEA?   Someone who has kept up can give you some info hopefully. 

This does leave a really big hole.  I will have to think on that :D.   Leaving the comment below that was meant to lead you to an art group.  Check the search function under art and see if that brings up anything of use.   

Lots of opportunities to "show".  You should know that art in SL is even more of a hobby than art in RL (I had tons of one person and group shows both statewide and national in RL so I do know the art scene in RL). 

So have fun, meet other artists and all that jazz but don't really expect to sell much.  This isn't really a secret. AND to be fair, art was much more supported when SL was younger and before most of the "name" artists left the building after 2013 :D.  

• Sad 1

On 6/10/2022 at 11:15 PM, Kurz Neox said:

I recently became interested in bringing my art into Second Life and getting it noticed (hopefully). I'm interested in displaying it places or at shows/galleries and also selling copies of my art for others in SL to place in their homes. 

It wouldn't hurt to show your art no matter where you are. After all if people can't see it, then no sales can happen. It would be irrelevant how successful you can be on Second Life, or if you posted on Zazzle or RedBubble. Consider it just another venue, and if you can afford it, why not?

Starting a gallery AND shop mix would be a good start, and advertise it how you would anything else I guess.

That being said, it most likely won't be a money maker on its own, but if it leads to real world work or commissions, or even used as PART of your entire art portfolio, then go for it.

I would say though, that if you can somehow 3D your art ( like an extra value version made for virtual worlds), including 3d elements, and even animations, or making the art come alive (basically using what SL offers you) - it can seriously add to the value and enjoyment of the piece, and protect you from people who - even if they want the piece - won't just simply screen shot it game and you get nothing.

Also think of ways where your art can be integrated into something else or even on products people wouldn't expect it.

Do it!

6 hours ago, Katie Aurelia said:

Anything that isn't just more SLfies is needed. Poke me inworld if youd like a quick tour of a few spots

No offence toward the Flickr SLfiests .... well, not too much 😋

I know what you mean.  I take a lot of different photos. Some ARE SLfies but most are not.    

I agree with Suzyst, Focus Art Gallery and Magazine is a good place to start. We do have a very active group where people share their pictures, which is a good way of getting people to see them. There are monthly themed competitions and also exhibitions, particularly ones encouraging new artists. I got my first exhibition in SL through Focus. Other places to consider are Art Korner and there are a number of other magazines that regularly select and publish pictures that are posted to their groups on Flickr. Attention Magazine is the one that springs to mind.

I have my own gallery and MP store. I have to sell my work a bit differently in that they are all single works, just like my RL work. So the gallery is a place to see them in person, the MP store is where to buy the one copy of the work.

I have a low traffic in-world group for announcements about new works and location updates (I finally have my own parcel again with the warehouse-styled gallery set back up, I send notices to the major SL art groups, and apply for many of the home decor events to showcase my work.

I'm certainly to getting rich from my work, as traffic at my gallery is light, which is digitally done but using the same methods and steps I use in my RL studio, but the joy of knowing someone has bought a piece to decorate their home in SL and they are the only ones to ever have it are the point.

I'd say set up a small gallery and see what comes of it. Easily fit one onto a 32x32 parcel, and if you're interested, I offer free space in my gallery for visiting artists for two- and four-week periods. Oddly enough, for all my success and unique, hand-created abstracts, no other gallery has ever offered me space, but again, having to sell via the MP only makes it harder to arrange.

Edited by Katherine Heartsong

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/10/2022 at 11:15 PM, Kurz Neox said:

You might want to check out the newly opened ARTSCAPE Village.  http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Strand/128/128/27

• Like 2

Hello!

At Unity we have a project that has monthly themed exhibits and also doing a monthly issue with bloggers. No fee to participate and you can also put your work for sale. If you are interested hit me inworld (Girasolmx) or the Art project director Viktor Savior (viktorsavior). :D

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 617 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.