Advertising eavesdropping?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 733 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello!

I mentioned a UV printer in local chat once.

Never looked up anything regarding said topic anywhere else but a few lines in Second Life.

Suddenly i'm getting a ton of ads on other platforms about UV printers.

Does LL use local chat for advertising spying? 

My exact words were "Man, i should've gotten a UV 3d printer...Heard they were better than feed type."

No links, no google searches no nothing. Just that single line in a local chat in Second Life

More than likely you have some sort of spyware on your PC that picks up key logging, Facebook is notorious for that as well as other social networking. clear your cookies, do a spyware/malware cleaning on you computer, run a virus scan too.Get a adblocker also if you don't already have one. I notice that when I run radios here as sim music, if I don't clear out my cookies, I get radio ads for my local area so it's something on you Personal device.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gem Oxygen said:

I notice that when I run radios here as sim music, if I don't clear out my cookies, I get radio ads for my local area so it's something on you Personal device.

When you listen to an online streaming station, they always get your IP address, which then gives them your general location.  It's all automated with their music software to customize ads to your area.  Not much you can do about this.  Clear cookies, and use a VPN from the Ukraine - at least the ads will be different.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

When you listen to an online streaming station, they always get your IP address, which then gives them your general location.  It's all automated with their music software to customize ads to your area.  Not much you can do about this.  Clear cookies, and use a VPN from the Ukraine - at least the ads will be different.

Yea, I get that, but it's not a issue for me persay. The radio ads are not that big of a deal to bother with VPN. I clear cookies about once a month as well as monthly PC health maintenance. Run two spyware programs, clean orphan files once a yr etc..

On 5/7/2022 at 9:55 AM, Gem Oxygen said:

Yea, I get that, but it's not a issue for me persay. The radio ads are not that big of a deal to bother with VPN. I clear cookies about once a month as well as monthly PC health maintenance. Run two spyware programs, clean orphan files once a yr etc..

You only need to use windows defender as primary and then malwarebytes as a backup.   Nothing else offered anywhere is needed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/6/2022 at 11:05 AM, Mellie Sassypants said:

Does LL use local chat for advertising spying? 

I'm very confident putting my neck out and giving an emphatic "no" on this even being a possibility.

To the broader point of online advertising in general, it is complex and data is assembled based on dozens (if not hundreds) of interactions with web services and apps. People are assembled into cohorts with statistically correlated interests. There is a high chance that all your interests and activities on the broader internet put you in a cohort of people that overlaps with those having a stated interested in UV printers.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

I'm very confident putting my neck out and giving an emphatic "no" on this even being a possibility.

To the broader point of online advertising in general, it is complex and data is assembled based on dozens (if not hundreds) of interactions with web services and apps. People are assembled into cohorts with statistically correlated interests. There is a high chance that all your interests and activities on the broader internet put you in a cohort of people that overlaps with those having a stated interested in UV printers.

You are right, thanks for clarifying what was previous already stated. Thanks for your input😁

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 733 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.