Changing lost email

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 819 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello all. If I have lost the email account that is connected with an SL account how can I change it? I am directed towards change email page (dashboard) but since I have lost the email that goes with an account I can not verify it via the email LL sends to the lost email account... so how do I chage the email?? Thanks

15 minutes ago, HexonPsionic said:

Hello all. If I have lost the email account that is connected with an SL account how can I change it? I am directed towards change email page (dashboard) but since I have lost the email that goes with an account I can not verify it via the email LL sends to the lost email account... so how do I chage the email?? Thanks

normally the old mail isn't used at all in the change process, except as showing it as the one being in use, and you can change it to the new.

a0396b84642579420ea0e82c88c11fe8.png

If you really need to verify it before it works,  contact support.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 1

In the directions on how to change password is states this "Shortly afterwards, your old email address will also receive a "Second Life Email Changed" email to confirm that the change was done by you, the actual account holder. " This is the part I can not do, so you are saying this step isnt necessary? Thanks

7 minutes ago, HexonPsionic said:

In the directions on how to change password is states this "Shortly afterwards, your old email address will also receive a "Second Life Email Changed" email to confirm that the change was done by you, the actual account holder. " This is the part I can not do, so you are saying this step isnt necessary? Thanks

i never had to confirm by the old adress, only verify the new one. But it might have changed/ or be different, for non verified adresses.

• Like 2

Be great it an LL staff member could clear this up for me... Or tell me how to change it with this issue. I dont want to mess about with the email untill I know 100% sure how to correct this issue, dont want to get locked out of the account. Thanks Alwin for your helpful info :)

3 hours ago, HexonPsionic said:

Be great it an LL staff member could clear this up for me...

To get an answer from a Linden, ask a Linden.  If you ask here, you'll get our best guesses, but everyone here in the forums is a resident like you.  To ask a Linden, submit a support case.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, HexonPsionic said:

You don't actually have to do anything with that email.  It is sent as a courtesy so that if you still have that email and you did not request the change, it has instructions on what to do.  Since you are requesting the change, the email can be ignored -- there is no actual "confirm" step that has to happen.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, HexonPsionic said:

Be great it an LL staff member could clear this up for me... Or tell me how to change it with this issue. I dont want to mess about with the email untill I know 100% sure how to correct this issue, dont want to get locked out of the account. Thanks Alwin for your helpful info :)

Why not try using Google

image.png.057228bcd8c19fec2a7ae3147a515772.png

You're confirming the NEW email, not the old one.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

You don't actually have to do anything with that email.  It is sent as a courtesy so that if you still have that email and you did not request the change, it has instructions on what to do.  Since you are requesting the change, the email can be ignored -- there is no actual "confirm" step that has to happen.

Thanks, Ill give that a try :)

image.png.53f6d5bac72eb376a5722a149f2f9f82.png

The parts circled in red COULD POSSIBLE mean that you have to click on something in the email sent to the old email address to confirm the change. 

It is not worded very well.   If the old email address is no longer available to the person, they will never see that email.  If they really did have to click something in it to confirm the change, they would not be able to do so.  That is what the OP was worried about.

However, I've done the "email address change" thing and nothing actually has to be done with the email sent to the old address.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, HexonPsionic said:

2 weeks ago I changed my existing e-mail to a new one. Only verification came to the new e-mail. needed only clicking link. Nothing came to the old mail. no questions about my email changing.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, HexonPsionic said:

I guess Ill have to try and find out. Thanks for the info :)

I had a similar situation when I attempted to reactivate an old account. I no longer had access to the email it was tied to. I ended up having to give them a call. They went through some identity verification stuff and eventually granted me access to the old account. It was a long time ago but I think I had to email them a copy of my ID.

Edited by Finite

41 minutes ago, Finite said:

I had a similar situation when I attempted to reactivate an old account. 

that's totally not simular, because those are only send to the registered email, and have no access to the account at all.

This situation is with having access to the account itself.

4 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

that's totally not simular, because those are only send to the registered email, and have no access to the account at all.

This situation is with having access to the account itself.

He didn't have access to the account. That's why he had to call. I've been through the process. It IS similar.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker

2 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Finite is not the OP and that is who you were quoting, not the OP.

this topic is about changing email adresses, and Finite claims it was the same, and makes the same mistake as you .. well you judge without reading what it is about but thats not new.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

this topic is about changing email adresses, and Finite claims it was the same, and makes the same mistake as you .. well you judge without reading what it is about but thats not new.

Ya I figured it would be a similar process since I had forgot my old password. like him I no longer had access to the email address I used to access the account (which I stated). If I could access the email I wouldn’t of had to call them since you can reactivate simply by logging in.

Regardless, I was just trying to help but you be you man. 👍

Edited by Finite
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 819 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.