Firestorm: Rotating camera.

Blaise Glendevon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 851 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In the upper right corner of your screen you will see options for your media settings and volume, I believe there should be a little camcorder there as well.  If you click on that, there should be an option for camera controls.  Alternatively, in the menu bar on the top under "Avatar" there should be an option for Toolbar buttons, if you click on that you can drag the camera controls to one of your toolbars.  If you are on windows you can also press ctrl+shift+c to bring them up :)

Edited by Istelathis

39 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

In the upper right corner of your screen you will see options for your media settings and volume, I believe there should be a little camcorder there as well.  If you click on that, there should be an option for camera controls.  Alternatively, in the menu bar on the top under "Avatar" there should be an option for Toolbar buttons, if you click on that you can drag the camera controls to one of your toolbars.  If you are on windows you can also press ctrl+shift+c to bring them up :)

Right. I'm familiar with Firestorm's Camera Tools in general. I'm looking for that specific setting if it exists.

Is this for taking panoramics? The next release of FS will have 360 snapshot support.

I don't think we have anything that turns the camera in place, but there are definitely camera HUDs that can. Something like https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Wpano-HUD-Panorama-photo-assist-tool/10425972 shoudl do the job.

Here's a quick random 360 shot from the future Firestorm (soon), the same functionality is currently in the default LL release viewer if you need it right now.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/beq/51870504277/in/dateposted/

testing 360 snapshots

• Like 2

I not quite sure about exactly what the OP was wanting to use this for, but just using Ctrl-Alt to rotate the camera around yourself (or anything else) would do? Screenshots were mentioned.

Or maybe an auto-rotate function was wanted?

Edited by Odaks
Afterthought
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Odaks said:

I not quite sure about exactly what the OP was wanting to use this for, but just using Ctrl-Alt to rotate the camera around yourself (or anything else) would do? Screenshots were mentioned.

ctrl-alt should be the same behaviour as the camera controls, rotating the camera in a circle around the current focus. I think that the OP wanted rotation of the camera in place (at the centre of the circle, but it's all inferred from the same post so any of the above could be true 🙂

Yeah it's something I've been asking around for other viewers to add as well. The ability to tilt the camera left and right at an angle, on top of the turning and moving left/right/up/down that we already have.

An example of the camera floater would look like this, here's an old tilted screenshot too.1705027700_Project8(1).png.6517d89e8ff80b20c56733a903f35208.png

Screenshot_20220214-101825_Firefox.jpg

Edited by Lokiande
  • Like 1

Probably not your favorite answer:  Connect a game controller, such as an XBox controller, and set up the 'joysticks' in your viewer.  Include "roll" axis control.  The joystick settings have more axes than the controller so they cannot all be mapped simultaneously but I find it quite useful.

AFAIK, camera roll is only possible with a joystick controller. I use a SpaceNavigator and there is a check box to allow/enable camera roll. Otherwise the viewer keeps the camera mostly level.

However, I find it easier to rotate the picture in an image editor. I use Photoshop but GIMP, Paint.Net, and others all allow image rotation.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 851 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.