how to make clothes fit to any body?

headda

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 74 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

so i been creating accessories for a while and thought to start with clothes and i already made my first shirt using Signature Body model on MD - to blender - to second life.. but the problem is its matching ONLY signature body and my question is if i want to make it for legacy for example do i need to get the kit and overdo everything i did and with the huds copy it like to 3-4 bodies id like to create ? it doesnt make any sense to me i need to start from zero to each body.. since u cant move/stretch rigged clothes what is the magic then is there a script or a trick or what? thanks for responding !

No easy way that is why some folks only make for a few brands (or Just Maitreya) bodies.  In Sansar you could more or less import from MD and it would fit "most" bodies with some adjustments by the buyer in the dressing room.  Second Life has a completely different set up mostly because of changes over a long period of time.  Long ago there was "fitted mesh" which a few designers still use, but it had its own problems and did not "fit like a second skin" that we are used to now.

Good luck. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Long ago there was "fitted mesh" which a few designers still use, but it had its own problems and did not "fit like a second skin" that we are used to now.

"Well, ackchally..."

Fitted Mesh is still around and heavily used by mesh bodies and their associated clothing. The goal that Fitted Mesh failed at was making mesh clothing that fit the default system body well at all body shapes and sizes. Mesh clothing on a mesh body doesn't have that problem because the two can be given the exact same weighting.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, headda said:

copy it like to 3-4 bodies id like to create ? it doesnt make any sense to me i need to start from zero to each body

There is a method that is mostly automated, after some initial work is performed, where you can shape a garment for 1 body and have it reshape to multiple others, although extremes will require some additional work.  The skinning for each garment will still have to be done separately, for best results, but the majority of the grunt work is taken care of.

I'll walk you through this personally and, as a result, compose material for a tutorial that will help others, if you contact me in-world.

While I wouldn't mind posting some information with the hopes that it will help a general crowd I would really only stop what I am currently doing in order to help an individual reach their goal.

This reshaping does not require any add-ons or specific 3d application since it aught to be able to be accomplished in all sane packages which include at least 3ds Max, Maya and sometimes Blender.

On 12/26/2021 at 7:05 PM, headda said:

so i been creating accessories for a while and thought to start with clothes and i already made my first shirt using Signature Body model on MD - to blender - to second life.. but the problem is its matching ONLY signature body and my question is if i want to make it for legacy for example do i need to get the kit and overdo everything i did and with the huds copy it like to 3-4 bodies id like to create ? it doesnt make any sense to me i need to start from zero to each body.. since u cant move/stretch rigged clothes what is the magic then is there a script or a trick or what? thanks for responding !

Not from zero,

1 - get your skirt, delete the armature modifier and weights, copy it to the new body dev-kit in blender.

2 - Use a lattice modifier to fit the skirt to the new body

3- Rig the skirt for the new body, you cannot avoid this step, since different bodies might even use different bones.

4- since you didnt touch the UV you can still use the same textures, consider that when using the lattice, so you dont stretch certain parts too much.

5- Upload to SL, WITH A NAME THAT YOU WILL DISTINGUISH SO THEY DONT GET MIXED UP! (thats where I fail)

So you save a couple of steps, the whole MD creation and fixing the horrible MD topology and you also dont need to texture it again.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/26/2021 at 7:07 PM, Chic Aeon said:

No easy way that is why some folks only make for a few brands (or Just Maitreya) bodies.  In Sansar you could more or less import from MD and it would fit "most" bodies with some adjustments by the buyer in the dressing room.  Second Life has a completely different set up mostly because of changes over a long period of time.  Long ago there was "fitted mesh" which a few designers still use, but it had its own problems and did not "fit like a second skin" that we are used to now.

Good luck. 

Er, technically speakin, everyone is still using 'fitted mesh'

It just added more bones to the rig that move with more of the body sliders in appearance for people to weight their models too, otherwise we'd still have very rigid body customization for full mesh avatars when we only had the very basic rig to weight to.

And then some time later was the 'Bento Bones' which added even MORE bones, namely for the hands and face, as well as a tail, wings, and a whole centuar body thing too.

Main issue is there's just too many mesh bodies on the market to make clothes for that as you said, people end up only settling for one or few, either their personal favorites, or which ever is the most popular at the time.

• 1 month later...

There's something to be said for a platform providing a standardized avatar size that many people can design for. Although clothing is not my priority to make, I did dabble with MD for Sansar, but would never bother for SL as everyone is different scales and sizes and just seems like a nightmare.

Those that realize this have banded together to create an avatar mesh, and then they get people to create for that avatar. Unfortunately, if allowed to get traction they become very powerful in the market, and in order to sell clothing or accessories yourself, you might have to design for it yourself.

A few tried in in Sansar, but since anyone and their dog could more easily upload an avatar of any type or size, human or not, and the MD feature that allowed it to somewhat adjust to those shapes, allowed everyone into the clothing making arena.

I prefer to create things for a standard, and SL doesn't really have it. I'm pretty sure clothing makers have a lot of complaints or issues as it is hard to fit everyone.

• Like 1

Just pick one body you like and make things for it. Stop trying to please everyone and try to enjoy what you are doing first and foremost.

If people ask you "why don't you make things for body X" you can just tell them that you aren't making clothes for bodies that you do not use, and that they are allowed to have more than one body if they really want to wear your clothes.

• Like 3

I can transfer any clothing to any body shape with non-rigid registration using a program like Wrap3 with each different body brand shape I just make it a new blendshape for its shape. this way i have all the shapes on one mesh.

For my cloth piece made for one body can either with Wrap3(Lattice) or a blender addon where clothes follow body or some other Lattice buildin or addon to your 3dsoftware, then i take take each shirt blendshape separate it for its body brand and weight transfer projection and then fix appearance extremes for each. baggy clothes it is harder and takes more time for fixing.

I do this in game design alot can tranfer alot of clothing to alot of body fast, alot of other games use blendshape but with SL using bone moving for its appearance sliders gotta fix extremes with bones weights, dont take long its always like this in Secondlife fixing extremes, most games use blendshape apperance slider is alot faster less work when building games with this transfer system.

Edited by BigBankHankTV
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 07.04.2022 at 04:57, BigBankHankTV said:

Я могу перенести любую одежду на любую форму тела с нежесткой регистрацией, используя такую программу, как Wrap3, с формой тела каждой марки. Я просто создаю для нее новую форму смешивания для ее формы. таким образом у меня есть все фигуры на одной сетке. Для моего куска ткани, сделанного для одного тела, можно использовать либо Wrap3 (Lattice), либо дополнение блендера, где одежда следует за телом, либо какую-либо другую сборку или дополнение Lattice к вашему 3D-программному обеспечению, затем я беру каждую форму рубашки, разделяя ее по марке тела и переносу веса. проекции, а затем исправить крайние значения внешнего вида для каждой. мешковатую одежду сложнее и требует больше времени на починку. Я делаю это в игровом дизайне, могу быстро переносить много одежды на много тел, во многих других играх используется blendshape, но в SL для внешнего вида используются перемещения костей, ползунки должны исправить крайности с весом костей, не занимайте много времени, в Secondlife всегда так Исправляя крайности, в большинстве игр используется слайдер внешнего вида blendshape, который намного быстрее и требует меньше усилий при создании игр с этой системой переноса.

when I try to do this, I get an error saying that the bodies must have the same topology, how does it work for you? what nodes are you using? I will be grateful for your answer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 74 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.